lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
br1ev8
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Yamaha G16E Speed Controller?

I just bought this '99 G16e not working for $100. The PO stated it just suddenly quit working one day. He said he hadn't had any issues with the batteries at all. He said it just quit moving with no warning sign of trouble.
The batteries are Trojan T105's. 5 batteries are marked C3 (March '13) and one is A5 (Jan' 15), and they all physically look good. Each battery tests exactly 6.3 volts and the whole pack at 37.8v. They're not fully charged, I know, I haven't even put it on the charger yet, but the PO stated it had plenty of juice left when it quit. And I should be getting something with the 37.8v. It came with a charger, a Lester Lestronic 2 unit that I plugged in to the cart just to verify it worked, which it does, but that was it.
So, the original main power switch / key died on the owner before the guy I bought it from, so they just wired a household on/off walk switch to it to turn it on. The PO I bought it from disconnected it because that switch died too and was just twisting the 2 wires together to turn the cart on.
Now, with the main wires clamped together, when I press the accelerator pedal, the solenoid gives a healthy click. I also checked for b+ on the controller side of the solenoid and am getting the full 37.8v through it. I also checked the other end of the of the b+ cable from the solenoid at its connection to the controller and am getting 37.8v there too. So the controller is getting b+ from the battery pack.
I checked to make sure the motor would respond with power by direct wiring it to the pack and it turned the tires over no problem.
When I switch the f/r switch to reverse I'm getting the reverse tone.
I've physically checked every connection on this thing, really pulled in them all to make sure they were tight. I've check the one fuse I found (10 amp) and the 2 diodes I found, and don't see any problems with any of the wiring's integrity. I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant, but none of the lights work (headlights/taillights). I haven't checked into that yet, but figured I'd worry about that if I can get the cart going.
I'm thinking I've got a speed controller problem, but don't know of a way to diagnose it. I've read that when the main power is on, the cart should resist moving if you try to push and make it roll, if the speed controller is working. Well, it doesn't resist, it will roll if I push it.
I'd like some other ideas on what to check. I've thought that maybe it's the f/r switch, but read that it usually would intermittently work if you vigorously switched back and forth with the accelerator pedal down...it would cause the cart to jump as the switch made intermittent contact. I tried that and didn't get any response.
I bought the cart for an atv conversion, but considering the condition and the cheap price, I'd be willing to repair the speed controller and leave it be as an electric, as I previously bought an EZGO marathon for the conversion. I just couldn't pass up this cart for the asking price.
I appreciate any input. I've read a lot of threads, but maybe someone will mention something that I haven't checked yet before I send the speed controller off.
br1ev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G16E Speed Controller?

Your cart is a "series" drive type, it won't try to resist pushing.. check the throttle sensor, check the yellow wire circuit. Check all microswitches. Get a wire diagram for your model (G14E & G16E are very similar), none of the newer diagrams will work for you.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
br1ev8
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply.
OK, so the throttle switch is good. And, the throttle sensor is good.- 2 wires showed constant ~1,100 ohms, another 2 worked up to ~1,100 while pushing the pedal, and the other 2 went from ~1,100 down.
The charge plug switch works. The pink / red wires' switch on the F/R lever works. BUT, the yellow wire switch on the F/R lever is showing no voltage at all. Checked after the reed switch and before where the wire comes off the controller and I'm getting no voltage.
Am I looking at a dead controller?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Rescue1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm assuming you have the stock controller in it. The yellow/black wire should have power when the controller is on. The yellow wire returns power back to the controller. There should be a brown wire at the controller plug that is hot when the key switch is on. This is all base on the wiring diagrams I found online.

So power should go key switch to accelerator switch to main contactor, FnR switch, and controller. Accelerator variable switch is from controller back to controller.

I could be wrong...
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
br1ev8
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I do have the stock controller. The brown wire coming from the controller does show power, but the yellow and yellow/black wires have no power. It appears the controller is receiving power. FWIW, full power is coming out of the controller to the A2 terminal on the motor when I push the accelerator pedal.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
Rescue1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

cgtech? He's the resident Yamaha expert I here.

However I believe you are correct in assuming a bad controller. The A2 terminal is the ground for the motor. So it should have power from the batteries when the main contactor is closed (on). The controller completes the circuit to make it go.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Im working from memory here, but here goes. All the external contoller inputs have to test good, like charge port switch, key switch, pedal switch. Then the last check is the yellow wire circuit, which is where im working from memory, I think it has a power output from the controller, has to go through the anti-arcing switch on f&r (to verify it's in gear). When the others test good, but the yellow wire has no power in or out, it's a sign of a bad controller. This is from memory, without a diagram, so I suggest finding a diagram.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
br1ev8
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you. Yes, I've been looking at a diagram and it appears to me (though I'm not absolutely sure with these diagrams) that power comes from the battery, goes through a diode (#5),goes through the main switch, comes out to brown wire and into the controller. Then, I'm assuming power is supposed to come back out of the controller at yellow and/or yellow/black. I do have power going into the controller on brown, but I'm not getting anything directly out of the controller at yellow or yellow/black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamaha G16E Wiring Diagram .jpg (144.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
br1ev8
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, so it's looking like the controller. I'm going to verify tomorrow that I'm not getting power out of either the yellow or yellow/black wires as close to the controller as I can just to rule out any broken wires being the cause of no power through the yellow wire circuit.
I'm going to guess that this is a sign of a bad controller too, but terminal A2 on the motor is grounded (from the controller) until I push the accelerator pedal. This obviously breaks the high current circuit which is causing the motor to not run. Am I right to assume this is another bad controller symptom?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1ev8 View Post
I just bought this '99 G16e not working for $100. The PO stated it just suddenly quit working one day. He said he hadn't had any issues with the batteries at all. He said it just quit moving with no warning sign of trouble.
The batteries are Trojan T105's. 5 batteries are marked C3 (March '13) and one is A5 (Jan' 15), and they all physically look good. Each battery tests exactly 6.3 volts and the whole pack at 37.8v. They're not fully charged, I know, I haven't even put it on the charger yet, but the PO stated it had plenty of juice left when it quit. And I should be getting something with the 37.8v. It came with a charger, a Lester Lestronic 2 unit that I plugged in to the cart just to verify it worked, which it does, but that was it.
So, the original main power switch / key died on the owner before the guy I bought it from, so they just wired a household on/off walk switch to it to turn it on. The PO I bought it from disconnected it because that switch died too and was just twisting the 2 wires together to turn the cart on.
Now, with the main wires clamped together, when I press the accelerator pedal, the solenoid gives a healthy click. I also checked for b+ on the controller side of the solenoid and am getting the full 37.8v through it. I also checked the other end of the of the b+ cable from the solenoid at its connection to the controller and am getting 37.8v there too. So the controller is getting b+ from the battery pack.
I checked to make sure the motor would respond with power by direct wiring it to the pack and it turned the tires over no problem.
When I switch the f/r switch to reverse I'm getting the reverse tone.
I've physically checked every connection on this thing, really pulled in them all to make sure they were tight. I've check the one fuse I found (10 amp) and the 2 diodes I found, and don't see any problems with any of the wiring's integrity. I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant, but none of the lights work (headlights/taillights). I haven't checked into that yet, but figured I'd worry about that if I can get the cart going.
I'm thinking I've got a speed controller problem, but don't know of a way to diagnose it. I've read that when the main power is on, the cart should resist moving if you try to push and make it roll, if the speed controller is working. Well, it doesn't resist, it will roll if I push it.
I'd like some other ideas on what to check. I've thought that maybe it's the f/r switch, but read that it usually would intermittently work if you vigorously switched back and forth with the accelerator pedal down...it would cause the cart to jump as the switch made intermittent contact. I tried that and didn't get any response.
I bought the cart for an atv conversion, but considering the condition and the cheap price, I'd be willing to repair the speed controller and leave it be as an electric, as I previously bought an EZGO marathon for the conversion. I just couldn't pass up this cart for the asking price.
I appreciate any input. I've read a lot of threads, but maybe someone will mention something that I haven't checked yet before I send the speed controller off.
It would seem if you are getting power to the input side of the controller, you either have a bad controller or it is missing a control signal it needs to activate. But I think you have already come to that conclusion, so I will let the experts take it from here...
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha