lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 EZGO RXV Stopping Problem

Hello , I am having a serious issue with my 2012 EZGO RXV 48v golf cart.
The other week while driving around the neighborhood, the cart all of a sudden out of no where just completely died , liked it turned itself off & about thru me thru the front windshield.

I sat there for a couple of mins & cart would not move , so I
Turned the key off & back to on & the cart would then run again.

Same thing happen a couple of days later & when this happened the second time I could smell burnt rubber smell coming from under the cart.

I did some homework & when the cart turns off the motor brake locks up to stop the cart.

I had the motor brake & solenoid replaced at a local shop & the cart is doing the same thing again.

Have heard everything under the sun about possible causes , bad controller, bad speed sensor , etc.

Has anyone out there had this issue & how was it fixed.

Thank You!
teeitup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 EZGO RXV Stopping Problem

The parking brake keeps getting the bad wrap. But there is a very specific procedure for replacing the brake which seems silly when you are reading it. I can tell you first hand though it is CRUCIAL that you install it according to EZ's specifications. It is often misdiagnosed that something is causing the brake to fail.....But not following proper installation procedures will itself cause it to fail...Now that you are smelling that burning its likely to late to save that brake. It will need to be replaced PROPERLY. You probably wont have anymore issues.
bsikes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I would also get the codes read to make sure there are no other obvious culprits causing the failure. How long ago was it replaced?
Old 04-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your response, but I'm sure the break motor was installed properly per a ezgo technician at a local ezgo shop.

I'm wondering what is making the cart loose power while running & in turn engaging the motor brake to stop the cart.

This is a safety feature of the cart to happen when power is off.

Like when you park the cart & turn switch to off , the brake engages & cart will not roll.

This is what happens when driving to the cart.

It's turning its self off while running and prompts you can the break to engage to stop the cart.

This has to be some kind of electrical issue somewhere & not just a bad motor brake.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

The code stated only bad motor brake and no other codes.

It was done a week ago & now have same issue.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The batteries may be going low voltage, or a cable just about corroded through.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The brake engages when you stop the cart. You don't have to turn the cart off. It is the parking brake, thats why there is no lock on the brake pedal. My last brake was installed at a dealer, which I would have thought would have been done CORRECT.....But turns out they didn't know about the "procedure" so don't be so sure.

So is the cart acutally turning completely off when this happens or is it just coming to an abrupt stop? Just because the brake is locking up doesn't mean the cart is off.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Hello, been a while since last post in cart issues but still having same issue.

Cart has had 2 new motor brakes installed and also a new set of Trojan batteries.

As explained in previous post the cart will shut itself off while driving and then motor brake locks up to stop the cart.

It does loose power because when the cart stops there is no power , you can hit the gas and have nothing.

You have to turn the key to off , wait 30 sec or so and will then power on and cart will start moving again.

It's like your driving the cart and just decide to reach down and turn the key off and that will stop cart and engage motor brake.

So I am wondering what would make the cart just turn itself off while running.

I've been told bad Controller.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup1 View Post
Hello, been a while since last post in cart issues but still having same issue.

Cart has had 2 new motor brakes installed and also a new set of Trojan batteries.

As explained in previous post the cart will shut itself off while driving and then motor brake locks up to stop the cart.

It does loose power because when the cart stops there is no power , you can hit the gas and have nothing.

You have to turn the key to off , wait 30 sec or so and will then power on and cart will start moving again.

It's like your driving the cart and just decide to reach down and turn the key off and that will stop cart and engage motor brake.

So I am wondering what would make the cart just turn itself off while running.

I've been told bad Controller.
A bad controller won't make the burning smell, that is the motor brake. The brake is powered the entire time you are operating the cart. It powers up to release the brake, so it gets hot. The bolts that attach the motor brake must only be tightened enough to crush the lock washers flat, no more. Too much torque will damage the motor brake and cause it to fail quickly again. This is what cgtech and bikes09 was trying to tell you. Repair shops may not know the correct procedure.

If you do find that you need a controller, you're in luck. You have a 2012, so chances are good that your cart uses a Curtis controller. Eddie has brand new 2016 RXV Curtis controllers on eBay really cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172438967924

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #10
teeitup1
Not Yet Wild

Hello, thanks for reply to post.

So will a bad motor brake make the cart just shut off completely while moving.

I know the burnt rubber smell is the brake , but all seems fine until the cart just turns off and then brake locks up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO