lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Schooner
Getting Wild

Default Tires to blame for bad ride?

2014 g29 w/ 6 inch jakes spindle lift & heavy duty rear shocks .

Bought 14 inch wheels with 23 inch 6 ply arisun at tires.. bucks like a mule. Running down to about 8 psi and still rough.

I ordered some wheels spacers for the rear, will check with those on, but is it possible the tires themselves are making me miserable?
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tires to blame for bad ride?

Your wheel and tire combo is at least part of your misery. Tires are basically springs. Bigger wheel equals less tire, which equals less "cushion".

Your rear shocks could also be playing into the ride quality. If you don't have much weight on your cart, heavy duty shocks, or springs for that matter, are going to give a rougher ride. Seems many folks on this forum have gone to heavy duty springs or shocks and ended up not being happy with the ride quality. Quite a few swapped back to stock.

In theory wheel spacers will do nothing for your ride quality, other than make the cart a bit more stable in turns. However, since you have them coming, you might as well try putting them on first and see...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Your alignment probably needs adjusted to account for the new wheels / tires. I put new wheel / tires on my lifted Club Car a couple of years ago and the thing was all over the road. I aligned it and things have been perfect since.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
2014 g29 w/ 6 inch jakes spindle lift & heavy duty rear shocks .

Bought 14 inch wheels with 23 inch 6 ply arisun at tires.. bucks like a mule. Running down to about 8 psi and still rough.

I ordered some wheels spacers for the rear, will check with those on, but is it possible the tires themselves are making me miserable?

I did a lithium upgrade on a G29 which makes them ride pretty stiff, even with switching to softer 'gas G29 shocks' helped but not enough. He let a lot of air out down to about 8psi and the steering got pretty bad, to the point I first thought his steering box was bad. Then I found the low air. pumped back to 20psi and steering problem fixed. The low air may be part of your problem and also as Lochlin said, realign the front end. Good luck.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Exactly. A non-cart example of it is some guys have put 17 and 18 inch wheels and low profile tires on 68-82 Corvettes. I have one with stock 15 rallies and big fat BFG tires and it still rides rough. Not hard to imagine what tall wheels and not much cushy rubber is like. They don't look right either, but that's a different issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Tires are basically springs.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
Exactly. A non-cart example of it is some guys have put 17 and 18 inch wheels and low profile tires on 68-82 Corvettes. I have one with stock 15 rallies and big fat BFG tires and it still rides rough. Not hard to imagine what tall wheels and not much cushy rubber is like. They don't look right either, but that's a different issue.

AGREED!!!!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Schooner
Getting Wild

thanks for all the help..

would 4 ply tires be softer ride than the 6 ply i have? I'm 95%+ pavement riding.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
..SNAKEBIT..
Not Yet Wild

bucks like a mule? youre saying the rear is bouncing? or rides rough
if thats the case, keep frt tires inflated and let rears down.
I would think the shocks are causing the bucking
..SNAKEBIT.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #9
Schooner
Getting Wild

It just rides rough all around. We couldn’t hardly steer with people on the rear seat hence the shocks. Will play with all this weekend.. found a good deal on some used 12 inch wheels with 23 inch tires.. gonna test it all out
Old 05-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Those tires and wheels will give a much rougher ride than what you had. No adjustment of air will make a big difference. Heavier shocks contribute to that but you need them for the extra weight behind the rear axle (people). I have them, I know but that is what I was going for. HD load control.

Check and adjust the front end alignment for some improvement in steering control. But it is lifted, it will handle differently. There is a reason Corvettes sit low to the ground, handling.

You have turned your mild mannered family sedan into a heavy load hauling 3/4-ton pickup truck. It won't ride the same even with a heavy load in the back.

You can make minor improvements with the advice everyone has offered.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts