lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Transporting G29 on Tandem Trailer

i have a Yamaha G29 with 6" lift, 23" tires and rear seat setup.
I also have a GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab with level kit and 33" tires
MY trailer is a HD 16' X 6.5' tandem axle trailer.

- When i pull cart all the way up on trailer it puts too much weight on the rear of truck/ tongue and makes for a rough bouncy ride.

- I have an idea ( see photos ) where i mounted 4 D-Rings to the floor board to secure front wheels. One D-ring on front and rear of each wheel and ratchet strap ran across.
I then ran strap across bottom of rear seat and cinch it to keep rear end from moving around. I haven't gone far with setup yet but wondering what your guys opinions are of this setup?

Most of my hauls will be 4-5hrs one way so making sure truck and trailer and loaded properly is most important to me.

Trailer still sits slightly higher in front so i may put a 2" drop ball to help level load out, what do you think?

The D-Rings are 400 working lbs each, so technically 800 each side which i think is Plenty to hold the cart in place. ( 1200lb break strength per ring)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3197.jpg (136.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3198.jpg (151.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3199.jpg (149.0 KB, 0 views)
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Transporting G29 on Tandem Trailer

Looks fine to me. That's a lot of overkill for the size for a golf cart but as far as being secure, I'd say it is fine. I would do the drop hitch to get the trailer level so it tows better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Looks fine to me. That's a lot of overkill for the size for a golf cart but as far as being secure, I'd say it is fine. I would do the drop hitch to get the trailer level so it tows better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
it is definitely overkill for just the cart but i got a good deal from a buddy so i can use it to haul other things as well! I just want to make sure everything is loaded properly so cart doesn't bounce around... I knew a guy that actually had a battery fall through the floor board of his cart after a few hour long trip on a trailer.
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
I knew a guy that actually had a battery fall through the floor board of his cart after a few hour long trip on a trailer.
He must not have had the battery tie-downs in place to properly secure the battery, or a very rusted battery tray. I can't see any reason why a battery would fall out otherwise?

A drop hitch is also what I would recommend, it will tow a lot better. But, as long as the weight of the cart is above or in front of the axles, you shouldn't have a problem. It's when the load is biased towards back of the trailer (behind the axle) that it gets real unsafe real fast
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
BGoat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I agree with CP241. You want at least 10% of the loaded trailer's weight on the tongue, and going to 12 1/2% to 15% would be even better. Anything below 10% will cause a lot of sway. Even with a relatively light trailer, that can get dangerous pretty quick. Keeping the trailer level, or the tongue barely below level will help a lot with the handling.
BGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Wbk1972
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGoat View Post
I agree with CP241. You want at least 10% of the loaded trailer's weight on the tongue, and going to 12 1/2% to 15% would be even better. Anything below 10% will cause a lot of sway. Even with a relatively light trailer, that can get dangerous pretty quick. Keeping the trailer level, or the tongue barely below level will help a lot with the handling.
Good advice, to heavy on rear of trailer causes trailer to lift the rear of the truck, to much on the tongue and it lifts the front of the truck. While this affects the ride the biggest effect is what happens when you try to stop. I have a trailer just like that it didn't have electric brakes I added them to one axle for under $200 bucks.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Wbk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good recommendation noneck. Trailers always ride and pull smoother when pulled flat as designed.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use an adjustable drop/rise hitch due to pulling a myriad of varied trailers. Helps immensely in leveling trailer tongues.

If you have an issue with truck ride height add a simple air bag system to the rear springs. That allows infinite ride height and spring rate adjustment.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think I just went through trailer hauling 101... Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha