lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Vince B333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2019 Onward Kohler Issues

Anyone else purchase a 2019 Onward with Kohler engine? Been having problems with it when first starting up and taking it for a ride down an inclined street. Incline not much, but you typically would not push throttle to floor during the descent. Onward starts to putter and continues to do so once on level ground. Next thing engine light comes on with it still no longer reaching more than 2200 rpm or maybe around 12 mph. Took it in to dealer and they are stumped. Club Car sent out a new O2 sensor and new computer. Worked about 2 days and same deal. Club Car claims that it has something to do with O2 sensor and computer, but neither they nor Kohler can seem to figure it out. Claim that is making it run lean. Their latest thing was to uncouple wire harness to O2 sensor and unplug check engine light. I must admit that it runs like a champ now, but doesn't seem to be the right thing to do. Dealer has had it now on four different occasions trying to fix and says another customer with same rig is experiencing identical issues. Anyone else? Almost ready to pursue a lemon law claim. Any help, etc. appreciated.
Thanks,
Vince
Vince B333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2019 Onward Kohler Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince B333 View Post
? Almost ready to pursue a lemon law claim. Any help, etc. appreciated.
Thanks,
Vince
Check you PM's
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

i Guess the Club Car Engineers forgot the golden rule....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DON'T MESS WITH IT. There was no major issue with the Kawasaki engine....so someone please tell me why.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sounds like a bad Engine Temp sensor or it needs a hotter spark plug to keep from fouling when its cold.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Doc
Gone Wild

This may or may not help, but every, and I mean EVERY piece of equipment that I've ever owned that had a Kohler engine in it was garbage. Even worse was Kohler's "Customer Service" which is nearly non-existent. I'm disappointed that CC went with then and agree with the previous poster. Kawasaki's were great-why did they mess with them??!?
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
This may or may not help, but every, and I mean EVERY piece of equipment that I've ever owned that had a Kohler engine in it was garbage. Even worse was Kohler's "Customer Service" which is nearly non-existent. I'm disappointed that CC went with then and agree with the previous poster. Kawasaki's were great-why did they mess with them??!?
Respectfully I have to disagree. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Kohler engines. I've had several mowers with them, my current is a gravely promaster 260Z with the Kohler command pro 27hp, and has over 2000 hours on the original motor. Fires up instantly, doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil. Zero issues at all, the only thing I've ever done to the motor is the upgrade kit for the ignition coils. Very common problem on Kohler motors but a cheap and easy fix.

I am a big fan of the Kawasaki FE motors, but to say kohler is garbage is a stretch... the FE motors dont make near the power of the Kohler in the onward and you have to eventually move on or you cant keep up with the competition
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
grawyl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

just an FYI. There is a TSB for this issue. My cart had the same issue and the dealer replaced the 02 sensor and reprogrammed the computer. I am not sure this completely resolved the issue because it still happens from time to time. I believe its a result of poor quality gas and the issue only shows up after the cart has sat for about 1-2 hours and the motor is still warm/hot. The cart will drive as normal until it worms up to full operating temperature and as soon as the computer switches from an open loop program to the closed loop program it will start sputtering.

The reprogramming of the computer has made our cart run a bit richer on gas and we have noticed we burn through more gas than before the reprogramming (we live on an island and the cart is our primary mode of transportation).

When this issue show up, I have been able to resolve it by turning the ignition off for a few min to allow the computer to reset. You'll know when that happens because the yellow check engine light will illuminate for a few seconds when the ignition is turned back on. If it doesn't illuminate, you need to wait longer before turning the ignition back on.

If resetting the computer doesn't solve the issue, disconnect the 02 sensor at the connector. This will force the computer to run in the open loop program mode and the yellow check engine light will come on but the cart will drive normally. Once you park the cart for the night or at least 8 hours to cool off, reconnect the 02 sensor and it should work as is supposed too.

Hope this helps.
grawyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
GoBeau
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello, I to am having this exact same issue on my 2019 CC with the Kohler engine. The largest CC dealership here in Central Florida have about 150 carts with this problem. Club Car had released a Bulletin with a fix by replacing the O2 sensor and a reprogrammed computer but this dealership did about 25 customer carts and the problem still existed. When I went to see them recently about this they said basically they have stopped replacing the O2 sensor and computers because it is not fixing the problem. Club Car and this dealership’s current solution is as you mentioned, disconnect the O2 sensor harness and if you don’t want to see the check engine light ON all the time, also disconnect this amber warning light! They indicated that the engine will run “leaner” by disconnecting the O2 sensor. I believe anyone and everyone with this problem needs to put some pressure on their dealership which in return will hopefully put pressure on Club Car to get a permanent solution. If Club Car doesn’t fix the problem soon, Club Car needs to replace these engines with one that don’t have this problem or replace the cart. I purchased a new cart to avoid having any major issues verses buying a used golf cart with a long history. It seems that even the Club Car Dealer Reps are being somewhat kept in the dark on what Club Car is doing to resolve this. This is totally unfair to the dealers and the Club Car owners. Time for them to step up and let everyone know what’s going on. Please keep us all updated if any of you get any kind of response/solution or update from your dealership on this ongoing problem. THANKS.
GoBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #9
Vince B333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry to hear that you are having that problem. I recently found out that there is indeed some type of newer 'fix' to correct the problem. I also know that the 2020 carts no longer have the problem. So if problem solved with the '20's why can't be implemented on the '19's? Get the dealer to contact them again. From what I gathered the new fix has only been found in the last couple of months. I would also ask the dealer if they are experiencing issues with the 2020's. Over here in AZ, they seem to be fine.
Good Luck!
Vince B333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #10
banjoman2255
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2020 Onward that I bought about 3 weeks ago. This same issue started last night. I have been riding this cart daily and this was the first time it happened. Just like another poster, I ran mine for about 25 mins and went to a friend's house for about an hour. On the way home it started sputtering. I'm contacting my dealer this AM to see what he says.
banjoman2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car