lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 96 TXT 36V DCS voltage help needed

Guys, I need some help with my campground cart.... I had to drag it 600 miles home because of a lack of an Ez-Go dealer in the area where I keep it. Here is what I have, I've completed the DCS controller test as outlined here on the site. I have two initial problems (I think) that don't make sense to me. First off, the solenoid housing is hot.... 34.5-35.0V on the housing. So I think I have a problem there.... so I touched the positive lead on the heat sink for the controller and it was 28+V I unbolted the solenoid and insulated it from the controller bracket (thinking I had a problem with the solenoid) .... both were still hot (the housing and the heat sink).... Per the test recommended here, here is what I have:

Initial voltage: 37.1V (3 year old Trojan batteries)
Positive side of the solenoid: 37.1
Key on, F/R switch to F, I have 34.4 on the controller side of the solenoid in Tow mode, 37.1 in run mode???.

On the black wire test on the controller, the voltage was 13.4V, when I unhooked the 6 wire ITS plug, no change. SO I don't think I have a bad throttle sensor.

On the white wire test... initial voltage is .48 and full throttle is 1.61V.

Other notes... when I put the cart in F, push the accelerator, the solenoid clicks. SAme in Reverse. BUT... in Reverse, nothing happens on the motor... going to work that now to further troubleshoot.

The last note on the test is to check continuity between F1 & F2 and A1 and A2. The note says you should never have continuity between F&A Terminal. I have continuity between A2 and S2 with the key on, F/R switch to F. I'm going to swap the motor wires to see if the motor will run in reverse.

Something else (sorry for the long rant).... with the key on and the F/R switch in F, If I have the Maintenance Switch in maintenance/Tow mode, I have 34.4V on the controller side of the solenoid... If I put the switch to run, I have 37.1 on the controller side of the solenoid. If I read the instructions right.... that's opposite of what it should be.... I turned the switch around.... BUT, with the switch in Maintenance mode... I press the accelerator and nothing. GRRRRR. I don't want to order a controller from ScottyB and find out it's a solenoid or a switch. Help please.

V/R
Brad
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 96 TXT 36V DCS voltage help needed

Sounds like a welded solenoid. Do you have a resistor across the two main lugs? If you do, switch to Tow and disconnect one of the battery pack mains. Take out the resistor and remove the wires. Check for continuity across the two mains and with no power there should be none. If there is, it is bad.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks KG, I'm going to try that now to see what happens.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

I check for continuity, the solenoid is closed all the time. With the resister unhooked, I had 37 across the solenoid all the time, regardless of what position the tow switch was in. Going to run to the dealer before he closes to see if he has one in stock. I'll keep you posted.... another thing though, would a welded solenoid cause me to be getting power to the heat sink for the controller? With the battery hooked up..... I have 30V on the heatsink. I'm sure it might be back feeding through the solenoid.... or with the motor hot all the time, backfeeding from the motor.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If the solenoid has failed there is no telling but yes it is possible. Hope you can find a dealer down there open after noon.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just for grins check this too > below is a pic from an older cart that came into my shop for similar complaints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4938web.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yeah, what he said..
Old 08-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

OK, I replaced the solenoid.... but in the process, I decided to check continuity across the old solenoid with all the wires disconnected. It was open. It turns out I'm getting backfeed from the motor to the solenoid from the S2 connection. Could I possibly have a motor issue? Also, even with the key in the off position, I have 36V to the M- feed on the controller. I don't have the experience on carts to know where I should have power to the motor or when I should be getting power to which A1/S1-A2/S2. the research continues...
Old 08-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

OK Scotty, quick question then,... should I have 36V off the M- connection on the controller if the cart is sitting idle, with the key off? From what I've found, the M- transfers power to the motor when the gas pedal is applied? I think I'm down to the position of either a controller or motor problem..... I know the controllers fail a lot more than the motors... but when I have continuity between the S2&A2 lugs on the motor.... I think that's bad... I think
Old 08-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Sorry ,I miss-read that.. power to the motor (A1&A2) comes from power "in" side of the solenoid... and the M- on the controller. The two S lugs get power from the F1/F2 put puts on the controller.... Upon inspection the two "A" lugs on the motor are lose and spinning in the housing....

Tags
no reverse, slow forward
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO