lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
mattrourke
Getting Wild

Default G1 Hood/Cowl repair. Plastic or Fiberglass

Hello all,

Over the weekend i bought a 1981 (as per J10 serial number on back frame) and brought it home. Overall I'm very happy with my $375 purchase as the engine runs perfectly, seems to have plenty of power (for now), zero rust and the inoperable brakes just needed adjustment.

Now, i'm on to the body work. I have a couple cracks and a couple of small holes to fix on the rear body which i know is fiberglass plus a couple of old repairs that weren't done to my standards. The problem i'm running into now is the front cowl/hood has two holes were the windshield bolts went and pull through the hood, plus a couple of cracks.

1. I have read that the hoods on the 1981s and prior were fiberglass and everything after was plastic. Mine does not appear to be fiberglass as the hole is very cleanly cracked and shows no fiber. so, perhaps my hood was replaced at some point in the last 32 years. What would be the recommendation for patching these holes? Try and set the pieces back in and fill the rest with bondo? obviously when reinstalling the windshield i will have to put some sort of backing plate underneath to keep from happening again.

2. I have tried to unplug the black and white wire on the gas pedal switch to allow for idle when the pedal is not pressed but it makes no change at all. any recommendations? for me i would like it to remain idling for when im weaving in and out of tight spots and need to tap the brake i would like to be able to tap the brake without the engine fully turning off each time. It is not for long continuous idle.

Thanks!!
mattrourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
ewbldavis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Hood/Cowl repair. Plastic or Fiberglass

My front cowl is also the "rubber" bumper type material. I used bondo and it seems to be holding up well.

Mine won't idle, either. I think it is just too tired to idle!
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Hood/Cowl repair. Plastic or Fiberglass

There is a flexible bumper repair material for cars that should work. It is like bondo filler but will flex. You grind it out and fill with this stuff, sand, etc. Better to wet sand for finer grit as it can ball up. Used to be able to get a squeeze pack of the stuff at auto places that had autobody supplies. Then you can use the rub strip bumper paint or primer as primer for it, commonly found at walmart and so on in spray cans.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body, cowl, fiberglass, hood, repair
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha