lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Only Runs with full choke and full Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastom1 View Post
What happened to everyone? When I 1st posted for help I got several replies but as I get farther into it one has offered any help. I am sure one of the old veterans here that has been working with these carts has run across this before...Any help would definitely be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
What was the compression after the gasket replacement?
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have not been able to check the compression yet. My son let his friend barrow my tester and he loaned it to someone else and well you get the point. My neighbor has a real nice one but they are on vacation for another week so I may have to brake down and buy another compression tester. I did think the rings were a little worn on the low side of the cylinder or the exhaust side so I am going to order a new set. There was not much of a ridge at the top of the cylinder so I don't think it will need oversized rings or will I? It is very hard starting and only runs at full throttle most of the time. It tends to surge as it starts to die then it picks back up for a few seconds then drops rpm's again. This happens as long as you hold the chock out about half way. Then after a minute or 2 it dies. I took the plug out after it dies and the plug was wet. This tells me it is getting too much gas, But the fact that it needs the chock part way on to run at all says it is not getting enough gas for the amount of air flow so you cut the amount of air with the chock.
Like I said it has become a real challange.
texastom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Also it did run one time down the road and back with the chock out and seem to have plenty of power as there were 3 of us in it and we were going up hill so I kind of think that the compression is not a big enough issue to keep it from running, but I could be wrong. I'm not real versed in 2 stroke motors.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #24
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Try using a hotter spark plug.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I finally got my own compression tester and found that I only had a compression reading of 60. I think I read that it should be around 100 so I went ahead and ordered new rings for it. I went ahead and ordered a new spark plug and filter as well. I figured it couldn't hurt.

I did want to ask can low compression make it only run with full choke? I know a 4 stroke will run weak but I'm not real experienced with 2 stroke motors. Also has anyone has had a crank seal that looked good but still leaked? Everything I read here on the forum says crank seals is the major issue but when I took the clutch off and the oil pump gear, the seal looked like new...Can it still be leaking? Should I go ahead and replace both side gaskets for the crank or wait and see how the new rings do?

Thank ya'll for all of the help..Ya'll have been such a blessing with your help and advice.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Tom, I think 100psi is the low end and new I have heard 130. I rebuilt mine at 90 PSI and have not tested since the rebuild. Needing excess choke is one sign of low compression
Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the input that makes since. I hope the ring job will do the trick. I have all kinds of plans for this baby, but I have to get it running decent first. My wife thinks I bought a piece of junk. I think it will be a nice ride when it's done. It has no rust at all it was only used on the course and then to run around a small airport, so it hasn't been dogged on the trails...Yet!

I'm still debating on if I should replace the seals even though they look fine. What do you guys think?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

IMHO I would do it all once right.... Seals, piston, cylinder. A quick call to Don at Plowmans and you can get a new cylinder, piston, rings, and jets for about $200 and you are good for another 25 years. No need to bore or hone, just bolt it up and go.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree with 85G3. You will have it torn down, might as well make it like new now and don't look back!! Good luck and let us know how it turns out. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #30
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the advise guys. It makes perfect since to just do it all at one time and know it's done. At minimum I will eliminate any leaks at the seals.

I saw where the repair Manuel talks about the timing adjustment having to be removed to get to the fan side seal. What is the best way to re-time the motor after I replace the seal? The Yamaha repair Manuel leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to details and pictures. I am surprised that no one has made a video and loaded it on Youtube. Oh well.

Again, Thanks for your help.

Tags
won't run slow, yamaha g1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha