lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Boris
DELETED

Default The Mongrel charging system ......

Hey People,
OK here is the new deal ...... In putting this Kohler engine in the Mongrel there presently isn't a pulley in-between the clutch and the engine to carry the belt for the starter/generator. And I can't find a pic that lets me know if the starter/generator pulley is made right onto the clutch itself. Does anyone feel like setting me straight on this question ..... OR know as to where to find such an animal(the pulley) ....... LOL ... OR is this fabrication-time.

Thats the pulley I'm talking about (behind the clutch) ...... Seeee?

Thanks
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Goat53
Gone Wild

Default Re: The Mongrel charging system ......

isn't the kohler starter bolted to the engine block and has a bendix the engagues the flywheel ? if so then it should have an alternator built in under the flywheel .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Boris
DELETED

If the Kohler starting system setup was there, that would take care of all of my problems from the get go. But alas, in this engine's prior life it was the mill of a 4600psi pressure washer, and frills (electric start)weren't part of the equation. I checked into installing the whole enchilada starter/stater/flywheel/regulator package but the price tag jumped up around 800-950 smackaroons. Quite a Knot

Now if someone knows of where to pick up some decent used parts (a flywheel and a starter) cheap-cheap shoot me an email OR post it here. I think I have found one, but I'm waiting till tomorrow to compare fitability (what fits what) on the vertical shaft, and a horizontal models.

I'm going to continue to search for these stock upgrade parts(for this engine) and I'd rather go that route, however if I HAVE to go the pulley/belt/starter/generator setup I need to know the specifics of that.

Thanks for replying Goat,
Boris
Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Goat53
Gone Wild

I have had good luck at larger mower shops digging through their bone yards . Don't know about kohler but same hp briggs the starters / flywheels, coils ,mostly will go on either vert / horiz
Old 07-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Boris
DELETED

Yeah thats what I was going to do tomorrow is hit a couple of shops listed to see if I COULD get an all Kohler setup. If I can't find one here I found a couple of pieces from the same place on eBay ....... From what I understand the Club Cadet and a couple of the tractors from John Deere carry the same parts. I can always get a stator and a regulator and I think a rectifier here in town.
Thanks for getting back with me though .......

Hows the tire situation coming on your Hyundai? I have a set of 20x11x10 in the shed if your looking for something like that ... brand new, still have the tits on them. But if your looking for mud tires ........ these ain't them.

Later
Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
Goat53
Gone Wild

I'm running 8" wheels 'low & go ' got 20.10/8 on back and 16.5/6/8 front can't find the 'moon' caps for the 10's
Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Boris
DELETED

Mission Accomplished, Stock starter and charging system(flywheel and stator)....... the pocket is like $150 lighter. Ah, WTF ...... I've partied away that much in a night ........ It's all good

And Goat, I'm having the same predicament with the swingarm frame rails being too close together to allow the Kohler to be mounted ........ More than one way to skin a cat though. PLUS the frame was warped I guess when I got it so frame straightening is in order now ........ Progress pics to be added soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts