lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

Default 05' Precedent with Jerky Steering Problem

Hello all!

New to the site and new to golf carts in general. I recently purchased a used 05' CC Precedent that came with a 6" Jacks lift and nice Duro tires. I know nothing about what to expect other than what I've managed to search and read on this site.

My problem occurs when the cart is between 10-15mph (15mph max speed). Its definately exaggerated on pavement but will occur on grass. It seems to run fine then all of the sudden it will jerk really hard one way or the other. Kind of like it would if you dropped off in a rut or something. It seems to happen more to the right than the left. Would this be an alignment issue? I've searched the site for alignment info but havn't found many threads talking about this issue in particular. Would it more likely have to do with the tow of the tires? I saw something online about KingPin bumper steering kit for the Jakes lift?... not sure if mine has or needs that....

Please help me however you can, I would appreciate any advice on how to go about fixing it, or maybe a link to another thread describing said problems.

Thanks!!!!
TommyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 05' Precedent with Jerky Steering Problem

The first step I would do is make sure everything is tight up front.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tip. I thought of that and did a quick once over but I may need to put a wrench to everything and double check just to be sure.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: 05' Precedent with Jerky Steering Problem

toe in at the front of the front tires should be 1/8" to 1/4" less, as compared to the measurement at the rear of the front tires

1/8 to 1/4 less at the front

/ \

I measure the tires in line with the hub, both front & rear

Last edited by carguy; 11-30-2011 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: correction
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I read that somewhere on another thread... I'll be sure to measure that. What about top to bottom? The bottom inside of my tires appear to be an inch or two closer than they are at the top. So if looking at them from the front strait ahead they have this angle (just not as steep ) \ /
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

Ok, went over the entire front end with a wrench and everything was snug. I looked at the TOW of the tires and appears to be off as much as an inch TOW'd out, so I need to bring the front back in. I see the adjustment threads on the tie rod, and the lock nut that you can loosen. Do I need to remove the tire side of the tie rod in order to get it to turn? Or will it turn within the boot on the cart side?

When I go to turn it it just wants to twist the boot where it attaches on the outside. Not real knowledgable in this department. A little description or picture would help me out alot and keep me from screwing something else up

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

this is for the DS. im guessing the precident is similar... ??
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: png toe.png (109.6 KB, 15 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

Looks almost like it, I bet it is. Looks like you hold the end steady and rotate that shaft with locking pliars. Thats what I wanted to try but was afraid of twisting the shaft if it wasn't meant to do that. Thats what I needed to know, thanks! I'll set the TOW and see if the problem persists.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I have an update, see if you guys can help.

I adjusted the tow, which was pretty far off. It was 2 inchs towed out. Steers much more easily now but the jerky steering problem is still present. Its will drive then almost wreck you its so bad. I did notice that my ball joint is loose where it connectws to the tie rod end, with quite a bit of play in it on the driver's side. I honestly think if I hit it hard enough it would pop completely off the ball. The boot is flat and non functioning. Im going to replace this regardless, but could that be the issue?

I would best describe this problem as an unexpected darting action, in either direction depending on the lay of the road etc.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I went out and looked at it again. I can't find anything else that could be loose, and the socket is completely worn out, actually, its gone. All it took was a bump with a rubber mallet and the socket comes completely off the ball. I can tap it down and it stays again but I know thats not good. Its not able to be pulled off by hand though. I hit the passenger side socket equally as hard and it dosn't even flinch, its solid as a rock.

So i've determind that needs replaced, and I have a new tie rod end on its way. Could this be the cause of the darting though? When it 'darts' the ball and socket are still attached, although there is some play in it. It actually just happened to me at no more than 7 mph.

Tags
alignment, precedent, steering, tires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car