lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #21
johnfcolclough
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1960's cushman truckster ignition problem

Hello my name is Jack from New Jersey area, South Jersey and I would like to get some help on my Cushman truckster 3 wheel and the plugs are down low on the motor. The starter engages but I don't think it spins ,it was running by hitting the key back and forth with just a clicking noise. thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you sometime. Jack C

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
johnfcolclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #22
geofame
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Some small engines have a starter clutch. Sometimes when they fail the starter will spin but no engine crank. Also sometimes the gears on the starter won’t kick out to engage the flywheel.

4 things to check:

1. Battery Charge/voltage at starter?

2. Condition of starter gear and flywheel teeth?

3. Is the starter gear engagement seized?

4. Is it a clutch type starter?

Hopefully it’s a simple problem. Good luck.
geofame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #23
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Jack,

It sounds to me that the starter relay may need to be replaced. Follow the heavy lead from the battery to it. Mine is mounted just below the seat on the rear of the cab to the right of the motor. There will be another heavy wire running from the second terminal of it to the starter. If you jump across these two heavy wire terminals on this starter relay using a screwdriver shank the starter should engage and turn the motor over. If it clicks when you turn the key, but the starter doesn't engage, and the starter engages when you jump across these two terminals with a screwdriver, the problem is this starter relay.

Replacement starter relays are available in auto parts stores. Just take your's with you and get one like it. Cost is about $20 (from memory, which isn't the best any more).

You should also clean and rebuild the Keihin carburetor. The accelerator pump and the passage way to the throat of my carb were blocked so bad that I had to use a single strand of electrical wire to push it clear. By all means, replace the carburetor gaskets, float and float needle valve. The floats absorb fuel over time and then sit lower in the float bowl, causing a leaking carb and rich fuel mixture.

Attached is the exploded diagrams and parts lists of the Keihin carb.

For electrical diagrams and motor information, go to the www.sillylittlecars.com website, click on "Manuals" and the "shop and maintenance manuals" in the text. The 826767 Supplement manual contains the electrical diagrams and motor information. The only significant difference between the 18 and 22 hp motors are the cylinders. The 22 hp cylinders have higher compression and the spark plugs are above center on them. Both the left and right cylinders are identical. New 22 hp cylinders complete with valves are still available (for $300 each). In fact, you can still buy a new 22 hp OMC short block complete for $1,500 with exchange. www.directparts.com and www.denniscarpentercushman.com are the best sources of OMC motor parts.

I try to buy most everything else from my local forklift repair shop or from the local auto parts stores. For the auto parts stores, you will need to take the defective part with you for them to match it, since they don't have a cross reference for Cushman, but many of the drive train and steering parts in Cushman Trucksters are readily available auto parts, but with no cross reference lists, only a visual match up will find them.

Charley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keihin Carb Parts List 1.jpg (63.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Keihin Carb Parts List 2.jpg (62.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg truckster keihin carb omc 22 hp.JPG (16.4 KB, 0 views)
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #24
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Study the electrical diagrams in the Supplement manual. Any OMC motor in these prints show that the coils are wired in series. You will find that the two coils on OMC motors are always wired in series. Hooking them in parallel will burn your points and shorten the life of the coils. If you have spark, your problems are all carburetor/fuel system related.

I replaced the old mechanical fuel pump with an electric fuel pump from the auto parts store. It is self regulating for fuel pressure, so no bypass filter or fuel return line to the tank are required. Just a fuel line from the pump direct to the carburetor.

BTW, there is a tiny fuel filter in the metal fuel inlet connection of the Keyhin carburetors and they are no longer available. Remove and toss it, if you still have one. A good fuel filter between the fuel tank and fuel pump are all you need anyway.

With a fully rebuilt carburetor, including new rubber parts and a float replacement, plus the electric fuel pump installed, my Truckster will always start and run like new. A little choke is required for the first start of the day. From then on for the rest of the day it will start on the first revolution without choking it at all for the rest of the day. I turn the key on, wait a few seconds for the fuel pressure to build, and then engage the starter. Since fixing the fuel system it has always started this way.

Charley
Old 08-20-2023, 04:20 PM   #25
chrome98
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranman;
596130]
Serial number is 812897
I dont believe that is your serial number as I have that same number on my engine.
chrome98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:01 PM   #26
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

The electrical schematics for the OMC engines clearly show the coils wired in series. Wire them in parallel and remove the resistor, and you will be burning up the points quickly.

Running rich is a sign of the float in the carburetor not floating at the proper level. If brass, it has a leak and some gas inside and needs replacing. If plastic it needs replacing too. The level of gas in the float bowl really matters. Too high because of bad float and the engine will run rich. Too low and the engine runs lean. A small difference, but matters a lot.

These OMC engines run great, if properly tuned. Rebuild the carburetor including a float replacement, install an electric fuel pump and trash the bypass filter and return line. If a Keihin carburetor, remove and trash the tiny filter screen in the carburetor's fuel input tube and install a good inline fuel filter between the gas tank and the electric fuel pump. Connect the ignition circuit per the factory design, and your OMC engine will amaze you.

The OMC engine and the electrical schematics for all of the 1980's models are available in the Cushman Supplement manual that you can download free on www.sillylittlecars.com website. I helped put it there.

The only place that you will find your model/serial number complete in your Cushman is on the plate located just left of the steering column near your left knee when sitting in the driver seat. If the plate is missing, there is no other place to find the complete model/serial number.

Charley
Old 08-21-2023, 12:49 PM   #27
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Y’all realize these posts are from 2018 right?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushman, ignition
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts