lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
drmax
Not Yet Wild

Default yamaha vs kawasaki eng/drive train

Hello. New here and to golf cars. I have been doing some research. I really didn't see an appropriate place within the forum to post this question, so am putting it here. Move as necessary.

I am looking at a '97 clubcar, with rear seat, no top...$1990. (kaw motor)
There is also a 2000 yamaha 9 HP, no rear seat w/top...$2200. (yam motor)
Lastly an '03 yamaha with 11.5 HP yam motor...$2550.

My question...besides the HP, which engine/drive train has stood up to be the better, kaw or yamaha? If it's personal preference, I don't have one for I don't know.
I've been told to stick with the club. I plan on driving 4 adults and for sure want to make sure I have the power to get over asphault roads (hills) in my community and maybe a little dirt riding after I mod it a bit. I may use it for hauling or pulling things in the future. (towing a cessna 182)
Just reaching out to ya's with the experience between the 2 engines, including their drive trains.

Thank you much, Greg
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: yamaha vs kawasaki eng/drive train

I prefer the original engine for if I need to change or modify I will do it right or at least I will holler at myself for the screw up. But my opinion is not worth much for I drive a 76 Harley and you just drive them. You can't profile much with a machine like that. Any way I think you should start stock and learn then modify as you see fit. As to your own needs!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hello.
I say get the hp. 4 adults is a load!
How a machine is maintained and how it has been used (abused?)is more criticle to it's longavity than which of the three major makers it came from.
It's like who truck is better? ford or chevy?
NO, no. no! I didn't ask for a response to that Q !!!
Oh. And WELCOME to the Madness
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
drmax
Not Yet Wild

Not planning on modding the engine, other than messing with the gov.
Yes, I would lean towards the HP as well. Now I guess the question, how is one drive train different than the other? Maybe they are basically the same.
I'll look at the 97 club and the 03 yamaha, side by side and see how they are built. At this point, the looks are really not an issue, as this can easily be changed. I just want to start with the right eng and drive train, as I will probably not mess with any of this.

Does anyone know what kind of compression these engines are suppose to have? This is something I will definetely check before I hand over any $$$$
Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
drmax
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
I prefer the original engine for if I need to change or modify I will do it right or at least I will holler at myself for the screw up. But my opinion is not worth much for I drive a 76 Harley and you just drive them. You can't profile much with a machine like that. Any way I think you should start stock and learn then modify as you see fit. As to your own needs!
Thx for the response, but I think you missed my point. I will be getting a stock machine, and pretty much, keeping the heart of it, stock.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
johnnybubu
Not Yet Wild

both have peolple who prefer them, reliability is probably about the same, and aftermaket modifications are redily available. I would go with the one that looks like it was best maintained, the Club looks like a pretty good deal, as you would have to spend at least three or four hundred for a rear seat and a top. JMHO
johnnybubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
drmax
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybubu View Post
both have peolple who prefer them, reliability is probably about the same, and aftermaket modifications are redily available. I would go with the one that looks like it was best maintained, the Club looks like a pretty good deal, as you would have to spend at least three or four hundred for a rear seat and a top. JMHO
Yes, I'm thinking this too. The club does not have the top assy, but I've heard I can pick this set up for less that 150. I called the guy/dealer and said I would be performing a compression ck on which ever unit I'm interested in.
He said no prob. You wouldn't happen to know what kind of compression I should be getting, would you?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
drmax
Not Yet Wild

Just found out some valuable info from a cart mechanic. Low end compression, 90 psi, top end 160. I asked him if he had a club and yamy setting side by side, same year, hp, etc. he'd get the club.
The club has alum frame, yamy powder coated steel. Club front wheel bearing can be repacked, has rack & pinion steering and 5 grease zirks on the front end. Yamy is lacking in all these areas. Pretty much decided it all for me.
He said, don't get me wrong, yamy is a good cart, but the club has got more advantages. Thx and I'll be back when I'm ready to mod this unit out a little.
Take care and thank you for the hospitality. Greg
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Anytime.,thanks for the side by side...will be waiting for the blow by blow.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

DR , you might also want to test drive them both. I have owed both and think the Yamaha rides much better.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts