lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
feedlotdoc
Not Yet Wild

Question How does a gas golf cart work?

Hello all. I recently purchased a Cushman Scotsman and am currently working on the engine. I have a decent mechanic helping me, but we are both confused as to how depressing the gas pedal fires the engine. When we tore it apart, there are no wires attached to the throttle cable. What fires the gas when you depress the gas pedal?

There is one wire that comes from the ignition and appears to ground to the engine near the carburetor. There is another wire that leads from this ground to the coil, but we assume it is the ground for the coil .

Thanks for the help!
feedlotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
loganfireman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: How does a gas golf cart work?

Feedlock on my club car it has a starter / generator that turns the engine over and starts it when you depress the gas pedal. hope this helps.
loganfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
feedlotdoc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, that makes sense. But.....how is the gas pedal connected to the starter/generator? In my simple mind, there has to be some wiring that caused the starter to turn over when you press the pedal.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
loganfireman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

On my cart the gas pedal has a cable that runs into a box that has a cam fixture that activates the micro switches. The micro switches send power to the starter. The power probally goes through other things but that is the basic way it works. follow you gas pedal cable and see where it leads. may be more than one cable. hope this helps
loganfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

The pedal actuates a switch which energizes the starter.

As soon as the engine starts, the starter begins to supply a charge to the
Battery and supplies 12 v to the harness.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's so simple.By pressing the gas pedal (assuming you have turned on the key switch), the microswitch under it is pushed in, completing the electrical circuit. The current coming from the 12.6v battery will activate the solenoid (like your doorbell) and the big bar (if you open up a solenoid, there is a bar-like metal) that completes the connection to the starter motor generator. When the starter generator starts, the engine also turns creating some vacuum that in turn pushes out air towards the fuel pump and at the same time, the carb does its sucking job. The carb (there is no intake manifold to talk about) then takes in the gas inside a small "cup" then pushed back up through the main carb jet. The gas gets inside the combustion chamber (space between the moving piston and the cylinder head). Because there is a spark coming from the spark plug that is connected to the ignition coil, there is combustion. Etc etc.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
feedlotdoc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the answers. I will look again, but I am sure that when we pulled the engine out to work on it, there were no other wires coming from the pedal or cable. This could be an adventure!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedlotdoc View Post
Thanks for the answers. I will look again, but I am sure that when we pulled the engine out to work on it, there were no other wires coming from the pedal or cable. This could be an adventure!
The "wires" don't come from the pedal or the cable to the engine..they go to the wiring harness, then to the starter..when the switch is activated.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
feedlotdoc
Not Yet Wild

Now I am confused. If there is a switch under the pedal, it has to have a wire go somewhere to connect the circuit. When we pulled the engine, we took the regulator, ignition switch, wiring, everything but the battery. There was nothing coming from the front of the cart that connected to the back of the cart except the choke cable, throttle cable and brake cable. Sorry to seem so dense, but I am pretty close to the opposite of a mechanic.
Maybe my "new" cart is more of a lemon than I thought. I was told that all I had to do was change the battery, add gas and drive.....
Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There is a wire (positive) that comes straight from the positive of the battery, attached to a switch under the pedal (the switch breaks the circuit) and connected to one of the small poles of the solenoid/relay. (The other small pole of the solenoid is ground. BTW, there is no polarity, i.er. you can interchange connection). The big pole of the solenoid is attached to the positive of the battery. The other pole (again, there is no polarity), is attached to the starter/generator.

Any other comments here that is different from what I just said is WRONG. I should know. I wire Yamaha carts, Hyundai, etc. from scratch. I make my own harness! No commercial harness that you buy for US$60.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
what makes it go....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts