lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
farleypug
Getting Wild

Default Early 70's Cushman

Here's a cool one that I picked up yesterday for $170 bucks. The last owner never had it running and the ignition was gone and the wires were removed from the coil. I rewired the ignition, hooked up the coil wires, cleaned the points and carburetor and presto!! The 12 horse Kohler fired right up and runs perfect. This thing is built like a tank and probably weighs about the same. It's definitely a cool set-up and I can't wait to take it for a drive. I need to get a new drive belt for it. I think that this is a 1973 Cushman GC-400. If nothing else, this would be nice for yard work. I especially like the paint job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cushman 002.jpg (109.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 004.jpg (127.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 005.jpg (114.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 007.jpg (165.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg cushman 003.jpg (119.2 KB, 56 views)
farleypug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

Default Re: Early 70's Cushman

what an old dinasour
good luck with your project, I hope it is fun
buscopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
farleypug
Getting Wild

Does anyone out there know how to remove the drive belt from one of these gc 400 or even the 300. I'm sure I can figure it out eventually, but I would rather avoid taking things apart if I don't have to. Also, I was wondering what the usual amount of wear is on a belt before it starts slipping badly. When I give this gas, the belt doesn't even spin with the clutches. A new belt measures 1 1/8 inches and mine is 3/4 inch. I'm sure the clutches are not working properly as well. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Harry Dickinson
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I have a 1972. I unbolted the motor to replace the drive belt. It sets on a skid and lifts up. Belt number is 112634 for 4 wheel model. I ordered a belt and parts manual from Weir Corp. Frederick Md. 301-620 -4000. Goog luck.
Harry Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
farleypug
Getting Wild

Thanks for the help. I ended up getting the belt off and was wondering if your carts secondary clutch visibly opens up when the cart is in drive and you give it gas? Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Harry Dickinson
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Never looked. I have it apart right now or I would try.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
farleypug
Getting Wild

I'm starting to wonder if this is not a gc400. Can anyone tell from the pics if this is the gc 400? All of the info I have found on the gc 400 says that they came with 8 or 10 horse motors. Mine has a 12 horse and I can tell it's the original motor and setup. I ordered the new drive belt that the gc 400 calls for and it's really really tight. Way tighter than any I have ever put on carts before. It's so tight that when the cart is running, it won't go into drive or reverse because the clutch is spinning to fast on the differential. It's kind of like trying to put a car in park when it's moving. It just grinds until it reaches a slow speed that won't damage the transmission. I can put it into forward and then start up the cart with the back end jacked up and everything moves fine. When it was running, I even tried to stop the clutch on the differential and I couldn't at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't there be some slack in the belt for startup and idling, but then the clutches open and close to tighten the belt? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
farleypug
Getting Wild

I guess my real question now is where can I get that brake shoe that locks down on the driven clutch when it is put into gear? That seems to be the main problem. I'm guessing that is a non existent part to buy new.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Harry Dickinson
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

The GC-300 was a 3wheel and the GC-400 was a 4 wheel with an electric motor or a gas. The gas motor was either a 8 hp. or a 10 hp. I do not see a 12 hp. listed in my book or in the modifications. The book lists the following models 881601,881603,881851,881853, your pictures look like a 898101 or 898103. Did you find set of numbers?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Harry Dickinson
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

After enlarging the picture of your motor, I see several difference things. My exhaust comes straight back from the motor not on an angle. The drive belt is wider than the one shown. The battery is in a different place,
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts