lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
Tallen
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2012 Club car precedent not charging

I have a 2012 Precedent that will not charge. I did the usual tests. I unhooked the yellow wire from the starter and jumped it to ground. It was at 12v. I replaced the starter generator with a new one and the same results. The owner of the cart had previously taken the starter to a rebuild shop for testing and they said it checked out okay. I know it is possible to get a bad starter, but for one to teat good AND the replacement to be bad is a stretch. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!
Tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 2012 Club car precedent not charging

Bad voltage regulator?
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
Tallen
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Jumping the yellow wire works without the regulator. But just because I'm running out of ideas I did try a new one with no luck.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:01 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

"The owner of the cart had previously taken the starter to a rebuild shop for testing and they said it checked out okay".

Possibly you have a S/G for the wrong cart.
You can wire a S/G to rotate in either direction but will only charge in one direction.
Any chance this happened? When did the issue start? what changed?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:23 AM   #5
Tallen
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The S/G that was in it is original. The after market is bidirectional. He just says it stopped charing one day. Nothing significant that he mentioned. I will check the rotation to be safe. Good idea! You just never know.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

It sounds like your problem is voltage regulator.
I've bought them that were bi-directional and found the hard way that some only charge in one direction.
And I believe it was early club car, back around the year they went from right to left rotation. Keep us posted
Old 04-29-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
Tallen
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Tried another starter, and the same thing .. Still not charging. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2012 Precedent?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did you disconnect the yellow wire from the starter or from the regulator?

Jump the DF post (the small one the yellow wire is hooked to) to chassis ground or battery -. Run the engine and voltage should be over 15V at full throttle.

If you disconnect the yellow wire at the regulator (leave connected to the SG) and jumper the yellow from the harness side to ground and see if the voltage goes above 15v. If not, run a new wire from the DF post to regulator yellow.

Also the regulator has to have a good ground to work. It is exposed on the Precedent so the regulator body may get corroded and not make a good connection to ground. You can usually fix that by cleaning the body and ground wires on the regulator, or running a wire from the bolt that holds the regulator to battery - or to a clean part of the frame.
The black wire from the regulator grounds to the frame nearby, make sure that ground connection is clean.
The Red wire needs to have 12V supplied when the engine is running. If it does not check for a bad connection at the solenoid post with the White cable that goes to the SG. If there is not 12v present at the regulator Red wire with the engine running, just run a new wire from the solenoid post to the Regulator.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:14 AM   #9
Tallen
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I disconnected the yellow wire from the SG and grounded the DF post. The SG puts out nothing (just shows battery voltage). At that point the regulator is eliminated so all the other wiring to the regulator should have no bearing on what the SG is putting out.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

You have gone to the point of output on the starter generator and have nothing, All points to the starter generator.............

Tags
club car, not charging, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car