lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
rayford52
Not Yet Wild

Default yamaha g1 gas cart very draggy reverse

I have and old Yamaha G1 gas, it starts and goes fine in forward but is very draggy and slow to turn over in reverse, it will finely go backwards but the starter turns very slow in reverse. anyone have any ideas? thanks, Vernon
rayford52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: yamaha g1 gas cart very draggy reverse

These carts have two solenoids and two sets of wiring, one for forward, one for reverse. I'd be looking at the wiring for the reverse solenoid that goes to the starter generator. Look for loose connections, corrosion on the ends, and even check power at the terminals to make sure you are getting full voltage to the starter generator while in reverse.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
These carts have two solenoids and two sets of wiring, one for forward, one for reverse. I'd be looking at the wiring for the reverse solenoid that goes to the starter generator. Look for loose connections, corrosion on the ends, and even check power at the terminals to make sure you are getting full voltage to the starter generator while in reverse.
Hey Slonomo,
Actually, the G1 circuit uses exactly the same heavy wiring for FWD and REV, just that the current is routed differently. The only difference between REV would be the NO (normally open) contacts of the REV contactor are now used along with the NC contacts of the FWD contactor and the bus bars jumping the contactors together. Sorry, don’t mean to me a know it all...
The OP may consider swapping the contactors with each other and see if the problem moves to the FWD position. That would at least prove it to be a contactor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850A421A-95D2-4AC9-84F1-70B14F721CB1.jpg (152.9 KB, 0 views)
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Hey Slonomo,
Actually, the G1 circuit uses exactly the same heavy wiring for FWD and REV, just that the current is routed differently. The only difference between REV would be the NO (normally open) contacts of the REV contactor are now used along with the NC contacts of the FWD contactor and the bus bars jumping the contactors together. Sorry, don’t mean to me a know it all...
The OP may consider swapping the contactors with each other and see if the problem moves to the FWD position. That would at least prove it to be a contactor.
Hey no problem. I'm okay with being corrected lol I admit when I don't know it all. I'm definitely not an electrical engineer for sure. I also don't have my G1 engine anymore so I can't go look at it...

That's a good point. So the issue could be in the solenoid wiring. So I was kinda right? The solenoids do have separate wiring.

I guess my point is, to look into the wiring and start checking connections and voltage and resistance. That's usually how I find electrical gremlins.

I suppose the engine could be tired. Crank seals can cause issues with reverse I think. Since the engine rotates both directions I could see how internal pressures could be different in one direction or the other. Carb and reeds shouldn't make a difference. Piston and porting shouldn't be different. Maybe the exhaust butterfly is sticking in reverse? I always remove those.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Maybe the exhaust butterfly is sticking in reverse? I always remove those.
Hmmm... the exhaust butterfly is effectively the governer...correct?
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Hmmm... the exhaust butterfly is effectively the governer...correct?
Yeah it's kinda like an exhaust brake/back pressure increaser lol

Tags
draggy, gas, reverse, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha