lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
calebpozsik
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default E Z GO TXT Intermittent reverse problems

So I have a 2006 EZGO TXT PDS 36V with the reverse switch mounted on the dash. I started to notice that when I would put the switch in reverse and press the pedal that the solenoid would not engage to move the cart in reverse. I can press and release the pedal several times before it will actually engage. I can hear the solenoid trying to engage but it takes several times. I can also place in forward, move forward slightly, place back in reverse and then it will engage. I have the OG controller. I originally thought it was the pedal micro switch under the floor, so I replaced it. That didn’t solve the problem. I then thought it was the solenoid in the controller housing, so I replaced it. That didn’t solve the problem. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what did you do to troubleshoot and solve the problem?
calebpozsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: E Z GO TXT Intermittent reverse problems

There has to be pack voltage (38.2V when fully charged) on all of the wires highlighted in red on the attached schematic for the cart to move forward. The only difference in reverse is the is pack voltage on J1 Pin-2 instead of J1 Pin-3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
calebpozsik
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JonnieB. I will take a multimeter to check line voltages and report back.

I did some reading last night after my post and noticed that some folks say that the F/R switch is usually the problem. Do you agree? Not sure if there is a simple test for checking the switch.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your PDS cart doesn't have the mechanical F/R switch use in series drives the people were talking about. Forward and Reverse are switched inside a sepex controller.

A sepex controller is actually two controllers in the same box. A high power one that feeds that armature and a low power one that feeds the field. To change the direction the motor spins, the low power portion of the controller changes the polarity of the output to the field windings.

My previous post tells you which J1 pin has voltage on it for F and for R. If the correct pin has voltage, then the PDS F/R switch is good.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
calebpozsik
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I checked the voltages and everything appears to be correct. If I drive the cart for a while and try to put in reverse it will not go in reverse. The voltage will then fluctuate, the solenoid will attempt to engage but then stop. I’m guessing this is a controller issue at this point? Would anyone agree? Am I headed in the right direction with my thought process/ troubleshooting?
Old 03-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Replace the stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS controller. It's user programmable and you can get up to about 24MPH on stock height (18") tires.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you have pack voltage on all the wires listed above except pin 2 instead of 3 either the controller or solenoid is bad. More towards the controller.. You might find someone with a used one just to throw in there just to confirm. Where are you in SC?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
calebpozsik
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am In Chapin. I replaced the solenoid so I am leaning towards the controller.

Tags
ezgo, no reverse, pds, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO