lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2006 DS -- Refurbish/upgrade or Buy New?

Looking for recommendations for fixing up my 2006 Club Car Precedent, or whether I'd be better off going with a new golf cart? We use it mostly for golf, but occasionally to visit neighbors.

It has been very reliable since buying it used in 2013, but it needs some work:

The batteries were replaced in 2013, so they are probably due again soon for $1k to $3k depending on whether I stay with lead acid or go with Li ion batteries. The cart charges and runs fine

We reupholstered the seat and back cushion, but the vinyl used on the sides is cracking so it needs to be redone.

The windshield is scratched/hazy, and I haven't been able to find a replacement--can someone recommend a source?

The only things I really don't like about it are: 1) how slow it is up hill (maybe 2-3 mph). It has always been this way, so I don't think it has anything to do with batteries. 2) I'm not crazy about the dash layout--there is no place for balls, so we end up using the cup holders for balls and the aftermarket tray gets cluttered with things we don't want to get lost in the glove compartments. 3) No USB port (ok so this is a nit as I can always add an aftermarket one in the accessory outlet.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.
ACHiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Precedent--Refurbish/upgrade or Buy New?

We need more information. What's your budget? What are the long term goals? What's your mechanical and electrical ability?

The earliest Precedent I worked on was an '07 and it had a whole section in the middle of the dash for golf balls. You don't have this? If not, you can likely swap out a tray that does.

If you want more speed/torque, call Dave @ Revo and let him know what you want and your driving conditions. A motor/controller/both upgrade will fix that problem in a minute.

Depending on how long you plan on having the cart, either simply get another set of quality FLA batteries, or go lithium. The lithium will increase performance, as they're lighter than the FLA.

Adding a 12v accessory bank is easy and inexpensive. Check with Revo for a windshield, make sure you get a thicker one versus the el cheapo thin ones. A new vinyl seat cover set isn't expensive and you can do that yourself. Again, don't go for el cheapo.

IMO, upgrading what you have is a no brainer. You'll end up with a freshened up cart with upgrades for far less money than a new cart. Leaves you with extra money for custom seats (versus just recovered) or a custom body and some nice new wheels.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
We need more information. What's your budget? What are the long term goals? What's your mechanical and electrical ability?

The earliest Precedent I worked on was an '07 and it had a whole section in the middle of the dash for golf balls. You don't have this? If not, you can likely swap out a tray that does.

If you want more speed/torque, call Dave @ Revo and let him know what you want and your driving conditions. A motor/controller/both upgrade will fix that problem in a minute.

Depending on how long you plan on having the cart, either simply get another set of quality FLA batteries, or go lithium. The lithium will increase performance, as they're lighter than the FLA.

Adding a 12v accessory bank is easy and inexpensive. Check with Revo for a windshield, make sure you get a thicker one versus the el cheapo thin ones. A new vinyl seat cover set isn't expensive and you can do that yourself. Again, don't go for el cheapo.

IMO, upgrading what you have is a no brainer. You'll end up with a freshened up cart with upgrades for far less money than a new cart. Leaves you with extra money for custom seats (versus just recovered) or a custom body and some nice new wheels.
Budget is up to $10k (for a new Li ion cart). If I upgrade/refurb it would be ~30% of that or $3k - $4k.

I've built a Cobra replica, and have a relatively complete wood and metal shop (8x35 mill, 10" Logan lathe, Graziano 12S metal lathe, etc.) so I have mechanical skills, but not a lot of time or patience especially with electrical stuff.

Thanks for the tip on Revo--will do some checking.

I've contacted the local Club Car and E-Z-Go shops and availability of Li ion carts is slim to none here in Norcal.

Quote:
The previous owner installed wood grain dash with locking glove boxes, so no there is no storage for golfballs in the center (other than cup holders).
Old 01-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Personally i would rebuild yours. Even buying new your going to want to do other stuff to it which in the end is going to cost you more. So being as you already have a cart in good mechanical shape, i would just do the fixes and upgrades to that one.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree with Z7What.
DaveMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here are a few photos to show where I'm starting.

The Sunbrella seat and back fabric is still in good condition, but you can see the vinyl sides on the seat have cracked. Oh, and the cooler is too small to be useful--I'd like to get a bigger one, and I need new sand bottles. Would like to upgrade wheels and tires--what are the pros/cons of 8" vs 10"?

The scuffs don't really show up, but the windshield really reduces visibility when it is in the up position.

The 6 8V batteries are pretty crusty. The seat base is plywood (I understand some are plastic?) I've jury rigged an accessory plug--I would like a 12V accessory outlet using the battery charger type connector (besides the lighter), USB charging ports, and if possible a 120V AC inverter outlet so I can use the batteries as emergency back up for our freezer when we lose power.

I'm pretty sure there is no regenerative braking, which is something I would like to have especially if I upgrade to Li ion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631 (Large).jpg (121.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0632 (Large).jpg (177.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0636 (Large).jpg (177.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0638 (Large).jpg (103.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #7
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have a Club Car DS...not a Precedent. A great platform to work with having the IQ control system.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

That cart is really clean. Revolution has a new windshield for $107 I think, to start. Lots of options for seat covers around $100 or less, or have an upholstery shop do a really nice fancy seat for a couple notes. You can get new 18" OD tires with new wheels for well under $500. You should have regenerative braking on that cart, I'm not sure why you wouldn't. I have no idea if you can use Regen with lithium, so I'll let someone that knows chime in on that, but a new controller ($600) will allow you the programmability to adjust the regen however you want. Again, check with compatibility with lithium. Your wires could probably use a refresh when you do the batteries. I don't know about the 110v inverter, so again I'll let others respond there. It really is a nice cart, it wouldn't take much money to refresh it.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #9
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 DS--Refurbish/upgrade or Buy New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
You have a Club Car DS...not a Precedent. A great platform to work with having the IQ control system.
You are absolutely right. I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought it was a Precedent? I pulled out the original 2006 paperwork which shows it was remanufactured in 06 and it is a model DV2. It has a Powerdrive 2 charger (according to the PO's file)

Last edited by ACHiPo; 01-20-2021 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Cart is a DS not a Precedent
Old 01-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #10
ACHiPo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 DS--Refurbish/upgrade or Buy New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
You are absolutely right. I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought it was a Precedent? I pulled out the original 2006 paperwork which shows it was remanufactured in 06 and it is a model DV2. It has a Powerdrive 2 charger (according to the PO's file)

I looked up the serial number prefix 2Q0615 which indicates that it is a Gold Standard, not a DS, made in 2006 15th week? What's the difference between a Gold Standard and a DS?

Tags
li ion, parts, precedent, seat, windshield
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car