lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2021, 02:26 AM   #1
GolfCartFella81
Not Yet Wild

Red face Grinding while coasting only?

Hey all! I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone can help me with a concern I have about my 2014 club car precedent gas. This seems to be a new issue, I hear a grinding/clicking noise from my rear when I'm coasting that was never there before. Only when I'm coasting and the engine is off...as soon as the engine kicks on with the throttle, the noise stops. I don't hear it any other time while driving. I have 2" wheel spacers in the rear so that the wheels are flush with the fender flares. I have also recently installed a hitch. The type that mounts directly to the frame in the back. So...any ideas on what might be causing this noise? Again, only when coasting with the engine off. Could it be the spacers? Although I didn't notice any noise when I first installed them..could it have anything to do with the hitch Mount maybe pulling at the frame and messing with something? Or maybe a bearing or hub thing? Anyone that can help me with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm 300 miles from the nearest golf cart service shop so I was hoping to resolve it without making that trip. Thanks in advance everyone!

Cheers
GolfCartFella81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Grinding while coasting only?

It may be a backlash set in the rear end something has worn out of tolerance. It may be the shifter not all the way in gear (cable adjustment). It may be brakes dragging or a wheel bearing has/is failing due to the uneven stress from wheel spacers. Maybe a stick lodged somewhere and rubbing on something?

Unfortunately in a format like this it’s nearly impossible to diagnose a noise. The only thing you can really do is jack up the rear and turn things by hand until you feel something that’s not right. Or have someone else drive while you stick your head down there in the back and try to isolate it
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Probably the belt slipping over the roller bearing in the middle of the primary clutch.
It’s just gonna do that.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:22 AM   #4
GolfCartFella81
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. What do you mean by, it's just going to do that? Thanks again
GolfCartFella81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

When coasting with the trans in gear, the secondary clutch is spinning, and is pushing the belt. The belt is moving across the center shaft of the primary clutch, and it will chatter as the teeth on the inside of the belt drag across the clutch. The only way to prevent that is to not coast the cart with the trans in gear. Make sure the engine is running, or coast in Neutral.

Coasting in neutral can be OK as long as you don’t exceed the operating limit of the trans/ normal cart speed. (So basically don’t try to freewheel it to 88mph)
Do not try to shift the trans from N to F/R while the cart is rolling.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, grinding, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car