lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
Tecumseh
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax 400amp install on 2017 Precedent

Been working on this upgrade all day, purchased the XCT400 combo from Scotty option 4. Thought I was home free, but turned on key switch and nothing.... then I forgot to toggle the tow switch But that wasn't it darn it. Lights don't work, reverse buzzer doesn't sound, cart doesn't move. Batteries have a full charge, tested each cell with meter, 8.7 a piece. Along with the Alltrax, upgraded battery cables and 200a solenoid. I did have some connectors that were left out. See attached pictures, hope its something obvious. Since I have new battery cables, the old battery cables had secondary ring connectors. I used the + ring connector to the solenoid, but I left off the negative. Is that supposed to go to B- on the alltrax?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200822_164942.jpg (225.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Inked20200822_152617_LI.jpg (213.5 KB, 0 views)
Tecumseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Tecumseh
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Alltrax 400amp install on 2017 Precedent

Cut the old battery cables to install the ring connector on both + & - terminals. Leaves me with 3 connections that are left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200822_190943.jpg (157.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200822_190935.jpg (189.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Would you please post a pic of what you connected to the smaller terminals on the solenoid. Also, a pic of the other connections on the controller, on the right side as you look at it.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Not much help to you but they say the battery cable should always go on the battery before any other connections. I think that would apply to your fuse also. Sorry I can’t help on where the wires should go other than where they connected when they were with the cable ring terminals.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
Tecumseh
Not Yet Wild

I'll have to get a better picture of the controller tomorrow. I connected the green cable and a black cable to B+. The other end of the black cable went to the negative terminal on the solenoid. 16 pin connector and 3 pin connector for FN. Only thing I connected to the solenoid small terminal was the supplied resistor. Not the best picture, but I'm sure I got the positive correct, can shoot a pic tomorrow for that as well.

Also, attached the original connection to solenoid. That explains the 3 connections I'm missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Would you please post a pic of what you connected to the smaller terminals on the solenoid. Also, a pic of the other connections on the controller, on the right side as you look at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200822_152617.jpg (189.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200822_112246.jpg (131.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, old pic does explain the connections that still need to be made. Please pay close attention to the POS and NEG markings on that particular solenoid when you hook up the wires to the small post, just like you did for the large post.
Yes, you have the large posts correct except that you have the diode ring terminal underneath the red wire and it should be on top. IOW, the ring terminals of the diodes are the last thing you put on the post - they should be on the top.
Take a look at this post where Sergio explains some Precedent wiring for the Alltrax. I think it will help you see your mistakes.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157311
Old 08-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
Cut the old battery cables to install the ring connector on both + & - terminals. Leaves me with 3 connections that are left.
In the first pic, what is the extra smaller cable you have connected to Battery #6 NEGATIVE??? I'm not sure it should be there but if it is it needs to be on TOP of the larger battery cable. Your new battery cable are always the first thing that goes on the post. Smaller wires go on top.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
Tecumseh
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for that link.. I searched earlier and that didn't come up. Clears up a couple of things. Not sure why it makes a difference on what goes on the post first, but I will take the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Yes, old pic does explain the connections that still need to be made. Please pay close attention to the POS and NEG markings on that particular solenoid when you hook up the wires to the small post, just like you did for the large post.
Yes, you have the large posts correct except that you have the diode ring terminal underneath the red wire and it should be on top. IOW, the ring terminals of the diodes are the last thing you put on the post - they should be on the top.
Take a look at this post where Sergio explains some Precedent wiring for the Alltrax. I think it will help you see your mistakes.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157311
Old 08-23-2020, 01:12 AM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
Thank you for that link.. I searched earlier and that didn't come up. Clears up a couple of things. Not sure why it makes a difference on what goes on the post first, but I will take the advice.
As it was explained to me, it has to do with surface contact and to decrease resistance, as well as help prevent corrosion. Increased resistance decreases the voltage carried by the cables. Also, the cable size effects resistance and this is why you had to upgrade your cables for the new controller.
A smaller connection beneath the larger one does not allow the larger connection to lay flat and you should not attempt to get it to lay flat by tightening it down. The torque for battery cables is only 100 in/lbs. Over-tightening battery nuts will damage the studs.
The general "standard" for installation is to stack from largest to smallest according to FairTax4Me on this forum.

Search the forum and you'll see my thread where it was explained to me, as well as proper size nuts to use, along with other posts.

I just realized you may have meant why the diode has to be on the top. It's because the diode is the first line of defense for the solenoid. If it's under the other connections it can't do its job and the solenoid will be damaged before the diode has the chance to protect it. Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
Tecumseh
Not Yet Wild

Well I was hoping to finish this morning, but can't get the blue/white connector onto the new coil. Spade on the old solenoid was smaller, doesn't fit on the new one. Can I cut it off and install larger connector?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200823_103930.jpg (126.5 KB, 0 views)

Tags
2017, 400 amp, alltrax, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car