lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default CC Throttle Response not Smooth

I posted earlier my project of replacing the motor and battery on my '94 Club Car 6 seater. I needed more torque for the hills in my neighbor hood, so I converted to 48 volts from 36, replaced the Motor, added two more 6v batteries, New power wiring, replaced the controller, solenoid, FnR switch and onboard battery charger. And, it all seems to work now after some wiring issues. I just added a Red Hawk analog battery meter (SOC). I was taking a ride with my bride yesterday and I really noticed that the throttle response was not smooth. First I have to press the accelerator pedal down about a 1/4 of the way before I hear the solenoid close and get a sudden rush of torque. It jumps pretty hard, and it had done that since the 48 volt conversion, but it is a bit difficult to back out and maneuver at low speeds. And while we were driving around, I felt like there was some pulsating or something as I tried to maintain a moderate speed. If I hit a bump in the road, the motion made the cart jump. I'm sure it was just my foot moving slightly on the pedal. Bottom line is just isn't smooth acceleration. The throttle was the only major piece I didn't replace. Does this sound like a throttle issue or something else?

There is another issue with the battery gauge, but I'll ask it in another thread. I haven't used an analog gauge before and I need to get some interpretations of what it's doing, but it seems to work well as a gauge.

Thanks, Joe
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: CC Throttle Response not Smooth

Ditch the analogue gauge - it was a poor choice. The solenoid should click before the throttle is applied. Closing the solenoid when the controller is already letting juice to pass will result in a hard start. Put the rear on jack stands and inspect the go pedal linkage see if you can determine why the pedal moves so much before the Vglide wiper... or perhaps the first step in the Vglide is not working as it should... there are 2 things to look at.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Really! The Analog SOC gauge was a bad choice? I read a couple of places people said the analogs were better because it gave more information that the LED ones that were just bars. That's what was in there before, apparently from CC. But, since I changed to 48V that gauge was no good. That thing was a terror to install too. I couldn't pull the dash out to work on it because I cannot get the steering wheel off. So what should I have used for a SOC gauge?

OK, so when you say the Solenoid should click before the throttle, do you mean as soon as I put it in gear? Even w/o pressing on the accelerator pedal? I'm not clear with that.

The V-Glide wiper makes some sense. So, it may not be working on the first contact in the wiper and just opens on the next one? I can see the jump issue there. But, wouldn't I need to open the V-Glide up to tell? Do I need to test the resistors in the V-Glide or is there another way to tell? Or could that be a linkage issue?

It was a lot smoother when I had the 36V setup, but it could have been doing that before and I just was going straight to full power most of the time because of the low torque motor. It had the original CC motor.

OK, I'll check for heat, and then let me know how that solenoid should act. It clicks hard at about 1/4 pedal. I really didn't notice the solenoid on the old set up. Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 08-11-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Analog is generally what people describe as the LED bar meters or the meters that work similar to your fuel gauge in your car. If you installed a digital meter that provides your pack voltage you have what most recommend. As for vglide when you hit the pedal there is a micro switch that activates solenoid before the throttle signal is sent to controller. Pop off the covers and you should be able to see when that switch activates and when the wiper goes over the first contact pad with a resistor connected to it. Post some pictures when you open it up.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

OK, that makes sense. I had more wires to those microswitches on my New FnR switch, and I wasn't clear about where all of the wires went. I lost my reverse buzzer, but I think I found that it needs a ground. I lost my Turn signals, but I think I need to replace the Fuse bar. one of the fuses didn't go back correctly, so I bought a new fuse bar and a voltage reducer so I can get the 12v off of just two batteries. Have any recommendations for a SOC gauge? Yes, mine is like the old Gas gauges with a needle. It doesn't show voltage, but I can see the state of the charge. Thanks, Joe
Old 08-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
OK, that makes sense. I had more wires to those microswitches on my New FnR switch, and I wasn't clear about where all of the wires went. I lost my reverse buzzer, but I think I found that it needs a ground. I lost my Turn signals, but I think I need to replace the Fuse bar. one of the fuses didn't go back correctly, so I bought a new fuse bar and a voltage reducer so I can get the 12v off of just two batteries. Have any recommendations for a SOC gauge? Yes, mine is like the old Gas gauges with a needle. It doesn't show voltage, but I can see the state of the charge. Thanks, Joe
I like the analog with the needle. It shows real time what the batteries are. The ones that are crap are the ones with the LED bars with E-----F on them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

ScottyB: I'm learning a lot from this site and your wisdom. So, I posted about the Throttle issue not being smooth and the analog SOC gauge. Due to your comments, I have been looking a little deeper into the V-Glide issue as to how to test and inspect it.

I find mixed messages, which probably isn't unusual for these sites, but I read something you wrote much earlier about using a 36V V-Glide in a 48V system. It was a Resistor Coil system, but I wanted some more clarification.

I have a 1994 CC Trans-Sender. It was a 36V system. It seems CC started using 48V in '95. As I mentioned in my post I converted to 48V by adding two more 6V batteries (8-6V batteries). I replaced everything except for the V-Glide. I'm in the process of testing the V-Glide to see if that is the reason for the throttle response. But, If using the 36V V-Glide is wrong and I'm going to destroy it sooner than later, then maybe I should just replace it. Is there really any difference between the 36V and 48V V-Glides? Just as I know you can run a 36V motor on 48V, but it's gonna burn it out. I needed a lot more torque for hills so I did replace the motor as well.

So, will that 1994 36V V-Glide be OK to leave in my 48V system, or should I replace it before it burns up. I would much rather do it correctly now, than have trouble later when I can least afford it.

Thanks, Joe

Last edited by joepiccaso; 08-11-2020 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: Name
Old 08-12-2020, 05:41 AM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
Yea I have the single micro switch FnR when I upgraded from 36v and it won’t allow for the reverse buzzer. If you have the multi switch one that should be a piece cake to add back into the mix. For state of charge gauge I like the one that shows pack voltage just like a volt meter would.

As for your vglide it should be ok as far as your 48v upgrade. With a vglide resistor cart all the amperage to motor also goes through vglide and that’s where it gets dangerous to do upgrades as that’s the weakest link in the circuit. For controller, solid state, carts it’s a very low amperage signal and you shouldn’t have to worry about burning anything up. What kind of controller did you put in your cart? That may help get your throttle fixed up.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #9
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Jake. I installed an Alltrax SR48500 controller. Yes, the new FnR switch had two pig tails on each of the three microswitches. And I removed an old charger port with fuse. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I installed a Alltrax on a 48 volt series DS about a month ago, and the lady uses her cart to spray in the yard at low speeds and she couldn't get used to the crazy jerky v glide throttle. I tried everything, even absolute throttle, and couldn't get it smooth, so since its an Alltrax, you can change the throttle to whatever you want. I use these hall effect throttle pedals for resistor cart conversion anyway, so I replaced the v glide with this pedal and now she is smooth as silk.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, electric, throttle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car