lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ant BMS

I understand. That is why I started the thread. Can it be added with this BMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes it can be added to all of those cheap FET type BMS.

I will try to start my thread later and post what I did based on tests I did on the charger.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Sergio!

Old 01-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes it can be added to all of those cheap FET type BMS.

I will try to start my thread later and post what I did based on tests I did on the charger.
From your drawing (Sergio's Drawing) on the Cheap Chinese BMS thread, it appears that you have bypassed the BMS on the controller side of the negative bus. My Chinese bms (ANT) shows - I have attached the pic - hooking up the Battery Negative to the B- on the BMS and the charger and Controller to the C- on the BMS. If I do it according to your drawing and take the controller negative to the pack instead, will the bms still function as intended?
I have yet to receive the BMS, But my pack is basically ready! Here is what I have:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (322.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 44E81DCA-C70D-4A1C-87A0-C2BC769A1238_1_201_a.jpg (162.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 578EB7CE-7546-4147-8D77-2F6E2AD08D39.jpg (192.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3762.jpg (256.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The idea is not to pass high current and generate heat on those cheap BMS FETs.

If You look at my drawing again (Thread Link), the BMS negative connection (C-) is only used to provide the negative to control the relay coil(s), which is around 0.02A so any size BMS would work (I used a 20 amp model).

If any cell goes into a LV or HV condition, the BMS will shutdown C- which would deactivate the charger relay and the KSI relay, whichever was active at the time.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The idea is not to pass high current and generate heat on those cheap BMS FETs.

If You look at my drawing again (Thread Link), the BMS negative connection (C-) is only used to provide the negative to control the relay coil(s), which is around 0.02A so any size BMS would work (I used a 20 amp model).

If any cell goes into a LV or HV condition, the BMS will shutdown C- which would deactivate the charger relay and the KSI relay, whichever was active at the time.
So, I have attached a new file. Is this correct or do I bypass the C- with the Charger also?
The BMS is 300a with a built in shunt at the B- connection
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Drawing.pdf (179.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Shunt.pdf (67.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those BMS like you have are originally designed to have the entire charge/discharge current going through them.

That is also how they measure current and calculate SOC.

If You intend to use the BMS as it was designed, then follow all of their guidelines which includes connecting the Controller and charger to C-.

Make sure the BMS enclosure has adequate heat dissipation and removal as that BMS will get hot at higher currents (more than 100 amps).

My design uses external relays for LV and HV so the controller B- connects directly to the pack.

Just pick one design or the other but be careful trying to come up with a mixed version.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Those BMS like you have are originally designed to have the entire charge/discharge current going through them.

That is also how they measure current and calculate SOC.

If You intend to use the BMS as it was designed, then follow all of their guidelines which includes connecting the Controller and charger to C-.

Make sure the BMS enclosure has adequate heat dissipation and removal as that BMS will get hot at higher currents (more than 100 amps).

My design uses external relays for LV and HV so the controller B- connects directly to the pack.

Just pick one design or the other but be careful trying to come up with a mixed version.

I’m not trying to do any hybrid. Just trying to clarify my understanding. Only the controller needs to bypass. Right?

Old 01-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I like the idea of not taking all that current through the bms. It looks a bit flimsy in the pictures. With that being said, it appears that I over spent buying the 300 amp version.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:35 AM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by molfpedal View Post
I like the idea of not taking all that current through the bms. It looks a bit flimsy in the pictures. With that being said, it appears that I over spent buying the 300 amp version.
A 20 or 30 Amp one may have been a better choice, as you really don't want to run current through it. I use external paths for charge and load, while using the onboard (C-) to control external charger and load control for over and under voltage protection. Also, a 14S or 16S BMS would have also saved money and setup complexity.

When your package(s) arrive from China, you may want to spray down the exterior and then the contents with 91% alcohol spray... The coronovirus infection there is more infectious and more widespread (2.8 million infected out of 49 million quarantined as of 01/24/20) than is being reported in the media. I am prohibited from full public disclosure of the details, but I suggest that you protect yourself and your family with this simple precaution. The 91% alcohol, and the 6 oz Equate version of Chloroseptic (dump out and rinse bottle, sprayer has been tested to withstand 91% alcohol) can be used as an inexpensive sterilization solution that you can buy from WalMart in the pharmacy section.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, ant, bms, lithium, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO