lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default ScottyB's V2 Solid State Kit, No Reverse

So I tried to follow all the instructions and I am only hung up on two places:

1. I couldn't get any response when everything was hooked up correctly, as far as I could tell. I finally traced it down to the fuse holder from the key switch to the solenoid. The instructions said that "one fuse is a spare and the other is installed", but it turned out that there was not "installed" fuse. Both fuses were in the ziploc baggie and when I opened the fuse holder, there was no fuse inside it. No big deal, I installed a fuse and the system now actuates.

2. Reverse won't work. I looked at the schematic and it clearly shows how to hook up a heavy F-R switch to a reduced reverse option with the second microswitch, but I have the single microswitch F-R switch and none of the schematics show how to hook this up. I'm not about to fry my Alltrax controller by guessing what to connect to the Blue J1 connector, so I would like to know if anyone has run across this or has an updated schematic that shows how to get reverse to work.

Maybe there is another reason why reverse doesn't work but forward does. Any ideas?
HummerKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: ScottyB's V2 Solid State Kit, No Reverse

More info:

This C54 with HD FR switch is on a 36V 97 Club Car DS resistor cart that I resurrected from the scrap heap. I rebuilt the whole thing to very nice shape, but needed more speed but also I needed to keep it mild so I can use it on the local golf course without scaring people.

It has a 4" lift with slightly larger turf tires and a D&D motor that I pulled off another cart in good working condition.

I gutted the cart per the instructions and installed the Alltrax, HD FR switch, HD solenoid, 48V-12V converter, throttle pedal, 2 Ga cables exactly per the instructions, including installing new wiring with heat shrink connectors and soldering.

Lastly, I bought all new 8V batteries and verified charge and voltages with my multimeter.

I just can't figure out what to do with the reverse circuit since the schematics only show the hookup to the blue J1 terminal of the Alltrax when there is a second microswitch.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Does this cart have a rotary F&R switch or a reversing contactor?
The reduced reverse option (J1 blue) is not needed to make the cart run in both forward and reverse. It is an option.

If using an old rotary switch it may be bad. Swap the 2 cables under the small bolts on the swivel part. If the problem switches direction then a new F&R is needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

And is that D&D motor you found a series motor?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Scotty:

I bought the HD F&R switch from you and it came with the kit. It has the buss bar at the bottom and one microswitch.

The motor is a series motor and came off the same model cart as this one - a '97 48V cart with stock components.

I tested it a bit further with nothing connected to the blue terminal and found out a few things:

1. Forward works fine. Starts off slowly and increases speed until full throttle.
2. Reverse actually kind of works, but is dangerous. It does nothing until about 3/4 throttle with the pedal - then it turns on full throttle and the wheels spin in reverse at absolute maximum speed. NO slow reverse. Full speed or nothing. I checked all the connections to the motor and it looks like A1, S1, A2 and S2 are connected correctly to the controls and batteries.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That really strange behavior because the motor uses the same throttle signal for forward and reverse.
Do you have a wire plugged into J1 blue? You should not -
If yes, where does it come from.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

No, I do not have anything plugged into the J1 blue terminal. I have it wired exactly like your schematic but without the 2nd microswitch connected, so that part of the circuit is left off.

I rechecked all connections in the schematic and everything is correct. All accessories are disconnected and I don't have a reverse buzzer.

So you haven't run across this before? Forward is working fine but reverse is downright dangerous.

I took it off the jacks and I had the cart out in an open area to see if it was a loading issue on the drive train and it was insane. When reverse kicked in the tires peeled out and the cart lurched violently.

I thought about switching cables 5 and 8 to see if follows the controller or the motor, but I did not want to damage anything by shotgunning a solution.

I'm stumped.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I've never heard of this problem before. Do not drive the cart.
Not having the J1 blue connected will not make reverse catapult launch.
Post pics of the whole install please. Maybe I can see something amiss.
The controller has 50% reverse speed by default. 0-5v throttle program.
Can you help us some - what is the throttle code on the controller when the solenoid just clicks in forward? And what is the throttle code in reverse?

I'll check back for pics later.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
HummerKart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks Scotty.

My cart is at my vacation house where I was working on the cart over the holiday. I will be back there this next weekend and will take pictures of every switch, control and connection. It will be Friday or Saturday before I can get to it again.

Please explain what you mean by "throttle code" and where do I see it? I'm assuming that you might mean that I have to find a USB cable and connect it to a laptop?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes - much diagnostic information is readily available with a laptop and the free software.

Tags
no reverse, scottyb, solid state conversion, v2 conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car