lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Robin 295 losing power as it warms up.

I had posted a few months back about a spark issue which may have been me chasing ghosts.

Testing is being done with the cart in neutral, seat off.

So here is the issue. The engine starts and runs with what seems like good power. As it warms up over just a couple of minutes, the rpm starts to drop and it loses power. It stays running but at reduced rpm. Previously I was chasing ignition questions based on lost power but I am not confident that it was even an issue to begin with. I replaced plugs, tried another coil, checked compression (150 both sides), checked and adjusted valve lash. I知 not really sure where to go from here. I used to run greate until one day when this all started. Anybody else out there ever have an issue like this?
Nubes4876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robin 295 losing power as it warms up.

What do your spark plugs look like ? Have you checked the gas cap vent to see if it is plugged up.
Are you running this engine when testing with air cleaner on or off ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

As you have already done a compression test and checked valve lash, Pull the fuel line off the pump that goes to the carb and place a jug or jar by the outlet. Crank the engine for a while and see if you have a good strong pulse of fuel coming out of the pump. If not, or it slows down over time, we can check for a blocked cap vent as suggested already by simply trying the same test with the cap removed. Also check the filter in the fuel line for blockage. pull the filter and rejoin the hoses together with some tube and see if it makes a difference. If so replace the filter with a new one. If all this is good pull the hose that goes from the pump to the front of the engine by the dipstick and crank the engine, you should feel a pulse of air. If not pull the hose and clean it out. Take a real close look at the pump. clean it off and look for a small round brass coloured filter embedded in the casing. Give this a real good cleaning with Gas/carb cleaner and an airline and then try the pump test again. If you now have a good regular flow of fuel from the pump, we have at least eliminated the fuel supply as the problem and we can move on to the next stage if the issue persists.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Been pretty hectic lately so had to drop this down on the priority list. Hope to have some time this weekend. As for the plugs, When I took the old ones out, they looked pretty black but that could be caused by a bunch of testing during my prior spark checking/chasing. I have a brand new set of gapped plugs in there which I will check after running for a bit. I値l post back as soon as I have some results.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I tried the suggestions but no improvemet. I removed the fuel line to the carb and tested. I wouldn稚 call it a strong pulse but there was decent fuel flow. Since I had one, I replaced the fuel filter and removed the gas cap but no change. There was a good pulse at the hose coming from the crank. I also cleaned the brass filter on the pump. Also ran tested with the air filter removed. Much louder than I expected it to be. Pulled the plugs, one was dirtier than the other. Both were brand new. Not quite sure what else to check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF0E96FB-1E31-4289-9518-8C0F8D6A26B1.jpg (107.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

What is the compression when it is hot ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
JRL
Gone Wild

You might have fuel supply issues. Float valve (needle and seat or float), or for some reason an enrichening condition. A bad fuel pump diaphragm will add fuel to the engine. Check your oil level and verify no overfill or fuel incursion.
The engine would run as you describe when cold, if over fueled. I'm not cart knowledgeable, the there's some sort of cold start enrichening system (choke, electric solenoid, ?) that might be failing. If so, it would present as you describe...good cold start, progressively running worse with normal operation temps, and black looking plugs and might note black smoke out the tailpipe on accel. If new plugs turn dark quickly, I'd look at the carb or whatever fuels the thing. You can clamp the fuel pump pulse line for a moment (if the unit has a float bowl) and if you feel improved running, definitely fuel related problem and could be a bad fuel pump. Use a piece of clear fuel line in the pulse line and watch for tiny droplets of fuel when running. You could hang a test fuel tank, securely, above the carb level and do a test run while gravity fueling. Clamp the pulse line. That will help rule out fuel pump, tank pickup, fuel lines.
If running a remote tank, it must be above the carb and supply fuel from the bottom of the container.
Be safe as this setup presents a fire hazard. Duct tape the container to the top supports. Secure the lines. This described fuel tank will attach directly to the carb. Plug the cart supply line.
And if that don't help, check the exhaust system for carbon buildup...
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
JRL
Gone Wild

Now I see what carb you have.
So check the bowl vent lines and make sure they are open.
And check the choke cable and choke butterfly for full off when running.
Clean carb. Replace float valve and float if needed.
Set all adjustments to prox factory specs.
Check the carb for ham-fisted repairs too.
This may not help, but it cheaply rules out the fuel sydtem. Who knows?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #9
JRL
Gone Wild

I'll quit after this. Promise.
Has your cart run correctly in the past?
Did it suddenly not operate as it once did?
Was it after sitting or stored for more than a few months?
Was recent work performed on the engine before your running problem?
Note that people will do strange things to carbs such as drilling jets and modifying parts in order to increase fuel delivery for 'mo speed. That sort of crap is hard to see. If the cart ran well, nothing changed, then just sorta ran crappy, that's good. If it has a recent history of repairs, they should be revisited.
Be advised that the cylinder that supplies the fuel pump pulse would show a darker color than the other plug if the fuel pump is failing.
I work nights and, as is obvious, I sometimes don't work too hard...��
Old 08-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #10
Nubes4876
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No worries, I appreciate any ideas and help you guys have. I値l try to answer all the questions.

Not sure about the compression when hot. I had to borrow a compression tester and I only tested cold. I値l have to go an borrow one again.

Q: Has your cart run correctly in the past?
A: Yes, when I first got it, it ran well. Good power and no issues noted. It was good for a few months and then one day I was playing in the snow and all of a sudden it started to bog down. This lead me to what I thought was a dead cylinder due to spark issues. After a new coil/wire set and testing the ignitor in another cart, I think I was chasing ghosts.

Q: Did it suddenly not operate as it once did?
A: See above

Q: Was it after sitting or stored for more than a few months?
A: Nope, happened while driving one day. Now I don稚 remember how long I was driving so it could be a case of how it is operating now. Drove well for a bit and then power loss. It was on a hill that I noticed it so it may have been an issue from the start that day. I was run at least every couple of days, if not every day prior to that.

Q: Was recent work performed on the engine before your running problem?
Note that people will do strange things to carbs such as drilling jets and modifying parts in order to increase fuel delivery for 'mo speed. That sort of crap is hard to see. If the cart ran well, nothing changed, then just sorta ran crappy, that's good. If it has a recent history of repairs, they should be revisited.
Be advised that the cylinder that supplies the fuel pump pulse would show a darker color than the other plug if the fuel pump is failing.

A: Not that I am aware of. The person that owned it before me was an older gentleman who used it around his house. I do not see him as the type to get in there and supe it up.

I知 not sure what cylinder feeds the pulse but the pulse line does come from the side of the engine that had the darker plug. I知 going to have to test some of your suggestions to rule in or out a fuel issue.

Tags
ezgo, power loss, robin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO