lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Forward is Slow, reverse is perfect.

Yes the timing is confusing until the window opens and you see the way. It took me a while to figure this out years ago. When I was working on a few engines, I made a (timing stop) fixture to help adjust the point plate. It is only needed when the point plate is moved. The stop just stops the piston 25 degrees or ? before top dead center in either direction so you don't have to look through the little hole to see the crank dimples. If you think you want to make one the instructions are on the forum. Just do a search. Good luck and let us know how you come out.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
DaleK
Not Yet Wild

I had the same problem and found the timing to be off about 10 degrees retarded in the reverse direction. You kind of have to split the difference to get it right, and yep, it can be touchy.

After timing in both directions, it start good even without the choke on.

Keep at it and remain patient it will work out for you!
DaleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Your right,you can always make it perfect in one direction but the timing has to be perfect in both directions. Point plate takes care of the problem.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
ckemery
Not Yet Wild

Well, I have played with timing and it has improved! But......another issue has developed. I put a multimeter on battery, jacked up rear tire and accelerated in forward reading 18 volts at battery! There was an original (suspecting) Bosch voltage regulator on the cart. I ordered and installed a Hitachi style replacement VR. I installed a replacement starter/Gen also. Got everything hooked up and still 18 volts at battery while running forward!!! Then I switched to reverse and also got 18 volts!! While in reverse after a few seconds, the new regulator started smoking! I immediately shut off, reexamined wiring and everything was wired exactly the same. I got the manual out and followed schematics, triple checked, and everything seems to be wired correct. Has anyone had this issue, or does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not experienced with electrical but I'm very capable of understanding the schematics and following wires to end points. My only assumption is it could be grounding out somewhere. The original VR was mounted on the rear cross frame brace- but isolated from the frame. The hitachi replacement I wired up and left unmounted laying on a rubber mat for testing purposes. After the 18v output issue and smoke, I thought maybe it needs to be mounted directly to frame- did this also with same result. Everything I have read on this board stated the cart only charges in forward.......
ckemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Why did you replace the old starter/generator and regulator? Generally you still have a wiring problem and/or the charging rate is too high. There is a wiring diagram for the Hitachi regulator and generator so check it for terminal designation differences.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #16
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I have had zero luck with setting timing via the book method(s). I am not sure why. The only thing that worked for me is to get things in the ballpark via the book method then making tiny point plate adjustments until I get things right. For experts like TEW, timing is easy. For goof balls like me it's tougher than you think. Really, though, if it is running good in reverse then your engine is right. It has to be timing. Check and double check point gap too. Don't be afraid to experiment outside of manual spec!
I just do it by feel too. I spent days trying other ways with various tools then one day went duhhh and just tweak, drive, tweak and 10 minutes later it was running great. You do want to make sure compression is close in both directions. I have dealt with some really beat engines where there was a big difference in the directions. Even they you can usually improve things for forward but at least you know its not going to be perfect.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The compression on a new top end will be a little more when checking in reverse due to the rings not yet seated and the engine turns faster in reverse. After a break in period the compression should be equal in forward and reverse.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
kurtatkars
Not Yet Wild

I went thru this a while back. (no power forward, OK in reverse) The rubbing block on the points wears mostly in the forward direction. This changes the way the "cam" lobe strikes the block, this also changes the ignition timing. Pull the points out & look at the rubbing block with a magnifying glass. Doesn't seem like a big deal but watch out when you put a new set of points in. Good luck.
kurtatkars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #19
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Does messing with the choke help at all in forward? Has the cart backfired at all when you have been playing with the timing? I've see seals blow out/unseat from a back fire might be a long shot but it sounds like you've tried everything else
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forward not working, no power, sluggish, starter generator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson