lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
FULLPULL80
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 electric reverse on engine swap

Hello all. I am new to the forum and have done a lot of reading up on G1 golf carts already. My question is has anyone done an engine swap and used the old started generator to spin the driven shaft in reverse with 4-stroke engine off?

I was given an old Yamaha G1 golf cart that doesn't run and I have a 2007 Kubota D722-TE turbo diesel military surplus engine sitting around so I want to combine the 2. My only worry is about loosing reverse. I have the Kubota 30mm tapered shaft flywheel adapter and a Comet Duster clutch to use on it for the drive.

My design would be to mount the old starter generator inline with the trans input shaft and place a pulley the same diameter as the driven clutch on the trans input shaft and activate the starter generator with a momentary switch and relay. To use it the engine would have to be off. Would this work to move the cart in reverse? Or would there be too much friction from the main drive belt and clutch setup to make it turn? Any input would be much appreciated and also has anyone ever attempted this before? Thanks!
FULLPULL80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 electric reverse on engine swap

Your not going to have much power. If you need to back up an incline or in gravel I don't think your going to the power you need.
Having installed a Kubota in my cart and looked at a lot of options for reverse. Settled on a G2 rear axle. Put an ad on the the local farmers market radio program and purchased a junked G2 for very reasonable.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
FULLPULL80
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yah probably don't need much power around here. I live in mid MI so pretty flat. If I was going to be the primary one driving it I would not even worry about it, just push it back, but my wife and kids will be the main ones driving it. Cheapest I have been able to find a G2 axle for is $500! Not gona pay that much. Would be willing to spend up to $200 that's about it.

Also by the way I have read you entire build post. Very nice work!
FULLPULL80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I got the whole cart for $100 less motor and drive clutch. I thought that pushing it backward once in a while would be OK until I forgot and parked it where i had to push it up hill. Like moving a dead whale. Unless yours turns out differently, my clutch is always dragging a little. Same effect as having your park brake on a little.
The G2 axle is not a drop in. It takes work but if your able to put a diesel in by yourself than you shouldn't have any problems.
Is it worth it, YES! I'm retired and getting old and would do again in a minute if something happened to this one. The fuel mileage is amazing. I put a lot of miles on mine and average a little over a tank of fuel a summer.
I don't know if you've seen this but it shows how I swapped the rear ends on my G1.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...l-into-g1.html
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding reverse, diesel, no reverse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha