lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Txt93
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Poor acceleration under load

I have a 93 EZ GO txt with the Robin 295. It is having trouble accelerating and going up even the slightest grade. If the rear wheels are off the ground, the engine will rev all the way up and both clutches will operate properly. Things I have done so far: replaced the drive and driven clutches, drive belt, carburetor, spark plugs, and swapped the fuel pump out to an electric pump. I checked that valves are adjusted to .004. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Runs great on jack stands. Barely moves on the ground
Txt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2021, 01:30 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Poor acceleration under load

First thing i would do is compression tests, both wet and dry and come back here with the figures. which carb did you purchase, OEM or chinese clone? If it is a chinese one, i would clean up and replace with the original OEM carb before going much further. Those cheap carbs can be a nightmare to get right.

As long as your new clutches are working correctly, then hopefully we can rule out those as the issue.

Also can you remove the valve cover and get a couple of pictures of the valve adjuster screws and lock nuts on the rockers. That will help enormously to diagnose your issue.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:37 AM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
First thing i would do is compression tests, both wet and dry and come back here with the figures. which carb did you purchase, OEM or chinese clone?
I agree with compression and carb. Might be time for a ring job/rebuild .
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:17 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txt93 View Post

Runs great on jack stands. Barely moves on the ground
Long shot but... stripped brake hub?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:26 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I thought about that but he said it drives but struggles. A stripped hub would not drive at all. Its possible it might be binding brakes though!

He also says the engine revs freely on Jack's, so I assume it does not when on the ground. A stripped hub would allow the engine to rev freely but no drive to the wheels surely.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:10 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I thought about that but he said it drives but struggles. A stripped hub would not drive at all. Its possible it might be binding brakes though!

He also says the engine revs freely on Jack's, so I assume it does not when on the ground. A stripped hub would allow the engine to rev freely but no drive to the wheels surely.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Most of them I’ve seen rev and work with no load but fall on their face when trying to actually drive them are carb related. If I were a betting man I’d say original carb is either dirty or damaged and the cheap china carb didn’t help.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
Txt93
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the suggestions. I admit that it was a cheap Chinese carb. I have ordered an OEM replacement. I will update after install. I should have known better.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
Txt93
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Finally got a chance to check compression. Looks like that’s my problem. It’s making 86psi on 1 and 91 on 2. I adjusted the valves out to .006, and got the same numbers. Guess it’s time for a rebuild or swap. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make sure you are holding the throttle all the way open with your hands when checking compression. Don’t rely on the pedal to open it all the way.

If it’s not all the way open it won’t suck in as much air. The less air it sucks in, the less there is to compress so the compression numbers will be low.

I’d also double check the gauge. I don’t know that 90psi compression is enough for these motors to run at all. Worth a second look anyway
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO