lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
BigTex
Not Yet Wild

Default ST 480 engine swap

I received my 18 hp briggs from Tom @ CPP, it is going in my 2001 ST-480 workhorse. It should be a pretty easy change out, but I do see a couple of issues.

First, I have to put the flywheel and shroud off of the 16 hp onto the new 18 hp engine. The new engine is more than 1" deeper than the old. 16 hp is M#303440 and 18 hp is M#356447. The flywheel off of the old engine doesn't have teeth on it for the starter. I want it to start from the key, not the old generator. I will look locally, but maybe someone has an extra laying around or knows where I might look.

Second, the governor on the new engine will not be used, will the shaft for the governor cause a problem if the governor is not hooked to it?

Thanks in advance, BigTex
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: ST 480 engine swap

BT
What is interfering with the wider width, You may be better to move that. The larger flywheel fan creates more air for better cooling. Plus it has the gear to start it like you want to. I suppose you could always alter the new fan to fit the old housing.(shortening the plastic blades) I still think you best option is move whatever is obstructing wider blower housing. Or if you run the clutch up close to the side of block It seems like you could gain a inch. New motor is about 3/4" wider than the 16 hp in your ezgo. The original ezgo clutch is at least a inch off the side of motor due to starter belt pulley on back of clutch. If you were to mount the Comet 780 up close to block (little to no spacer) you would have to move motor 3/4-1" over to align with rear clutch. That should give you more than enough room on oppisite side. You may have to move your original mounting holes over a little but thats alot better than taking new motor all apart. The other option would be to use our motor mount, But I understand you are trying to use as much original ezgo parts as you can. Now you know why we sell a complete kit, It includes everything needed to mount a V-Twin in a cart. Figuring out all this (little) stuff can be a real PITA.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
BigTex
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: ST 480 engine swap

Tom, in this case I don't believe your complete kit will work on the ST-480, the BB engine carrier doesn't look it would bolt up to the cart. I believe the ST-480 is different than the other ez-go carts as far as the engine carrier goes. Maybe Ruredy can shed some light on this? The 356xxx series is 1 3/8" thicker than the 303xxx series. The 1 1/4" or so pipe that the engine carrier is constructed from is what is keeping the engine from working with original flywheel and shroud. Besides the new flywheel has to come off if I use the advance timing key that you sent me. A thin flywheel and old housing with the old governor system seems easier to me than the other options, but I could be wrong. BigTex
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!