lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
ChrisRice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium Upgrade for my Club Car

I did two things today…told the dear wife we would be eating baloney for the next couple of months and received my new lithium batteries for my club car. Those two things ARE directly related.

I got the 54v (58.5 max-52v min) 120ah/6400wh pack with BMS and charger from EV Battery Center. I will get it home tonight and look it over and after I finish a few other things on the cart hopefully install the pack this weekend. Since mine is a 2008 (4x12v) I will have to split the pack to make it fit. I could have ordered the parts only and saved about $200, but since this is my first go at it I wanted to see a completed pack with the BMS wiring intact to be sure I really do understand what I think I understand. If it goes well next time on my other EV I may order the parts and assemble them myself.
I also ordered the Admiral MOT-A4 from Scotty. Hopefully with all this I will have plenty of torque and can achieve 24-26 mph. That’s about as fast as I want to go on a lifted golf cart.

The cart already has the Alpha Off Road Style Body, 14x7 wheels with 23 inch tires, RHOX 6 inch lift kit, alltrax 500 amp controller and the upgrades required to be street legal in Tennessee.

Thanks to all those who have posted their lithium upgrades, without the information in those posts I would have never taken on this adventure.

Well fire insurance is all paid up can’t wait till the weekend!
ChrisRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
jhall8569
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Lithium Upgrade for my Club Car

so what did that setup from EV cost you?....and I assume this is a leaf pack?
post a picture of the assembly
jhall8569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
ChrisRice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

About $2,700. I do not have the exact amount handy. Too much....but it is pretty much exactly what I wanted, it was the first time I had caught them in stock....and it will be a learning experience for the other ev, so perhaps I can do the second one cheaper. It can be less ah (since it is just a parade vehicle) and I will probably just buy the parts and assemble them myself provided this one goes well.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nice project. you are going to like the results. Attached is a wiring diagram I sent to Wayne Martin (BGW member) for him to assemble a split pack for a Precedent. If I can be of any help, PM me.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
ChrisRice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks PingEye3.
I think I had the wiring in my head per your diagram, except I had all #12 wire. I will pick up some #10. Thanks a bunch.
I will probably need to ask a question or two. I think I have it all together but experience says something will come up during the installation that I did not account for.

Murphy and I have been tight for years! (as in Murphy's Law).
Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
ChrisRice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here are two pictures of the lithium pack from EV batteries. It came well packed in a crate.

[ATTACH]cc2.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc1.jpg (170.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Murphy is allways nearby. Hopefully, he stays away.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #8
ChrisRice
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I got the pack split and ready to set in the golf cart today. Tomorrow I plan to install them. I had an old GC windshield that I cut up to make a guard for the terminal areas. The small pack goes on the drivers side so there will be a storage area big enough for a power cord and insurance/tag documentation.
cc1.jpg
cc2.jpg
cc3.jpg
cc4.jpg
cc5.jpg
Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gee that looks familiar. Best way to prefab the pack. Going to be a great install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished Lithium Pack & Controls.jpg (350.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am really trying to understand why you split the pack the way you did. And, of course, after renumbering the order of the modules, you had to completely rewire the BMS tap harness. Splitting to 6 & 8 did not need to be so complicated. And there certainly would not be taps to the bus bars in the middle of everything. Nor the need for the recycled windshield. The pack connections would have remained the same with one cable jumper in the between them. BMS tap harness would then only need to be lengthened, with the 6 or 8 pin Molex connector for the split. See attached pdf. Good luck with the pack.

Tags
battery, club car, lithium, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!