lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Thiago M
Not Yet Wild

Default overheating in downhills

Hi, i have a eletric RXV (2012), bought in Brazil. From the beginning the car has been presenting a problem. When I take a long asphalt downhill, it simply locks the engine and shuts off completely. It seems to be an overheating of something, because after 5 to 10 minutes I can use the cart again, without any problem. I live and bought this car in Brazil and no mechanic here has been able to identify the problem. Would anyone have at least a clue how to solve this?

Thanks a lot
Thiago M is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2017, 04:47 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: overheating in downhills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiago M View Post
Hi, i have a eletric RXV (2012), bought in Brazil. From the beginning the car has been presenting a problem. When I take a long asphalt downhill, it simply locks the engine and shuts off completely. It seems to be an overheating of something, because after 5 to 10 minutes I can use the cart again, without any problem. I live and bought this car in Brazil and no mechanic here has been able to identify the problem. Would anyone have at least a clue how to solve this?

Thanks a lot
Going downhill with an RXV typically results in lots of regenerative braking. Too much (long downhill) regenerative braking engages the energy burnoff resistor. If the voltage or resistor temperature climbs too high, the controller shuts down and the parking brake engages. The heat is probably from that resistor.

You are unlikely to find anyone in Brazil that has intimate knowledge of the RXV. It is a drive by wire AC cart that is unlike any other E-Z-GO cart before it. It is essentially a computer on wheels.

My first suggestion would be to hook up a digital voltmeter to the battery pack and watch the pack voltage during operation. That will give you a lot of usable information to help diagnose the issue. There may not be anyone where you live that has the capability of running diagnostics. Also, you said it is a 2012, does it have a plack painted cage around the resistor behind the controller, or is it bare aluminum?
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Going downhill with an RXV typically results in lots of regenerative braking. Too much (long downhill) regenerative braking engages the energy burnoff resistor. If the voltage or resistor temperature climbs too high, the controller shuts down and the parking brake engages. The heat is probably from that resistor.

You are unlikely to find anyone in Brazil that has intimate knowledge of the RXV. It is a drive by wire AC cart that is unlike any other E-Z-GO cart before it. It is essentially a computer on wheels.

My first suggestion would be to hook up a digital voltmeter to the battery pack and watch the pack voltage during operation. That will give you a lot of usable information to help diagnose the issue. There may not be anyone where you live that has the capability of running diagnostics. Also, you said it is a 2012, does it have a plack painted cage around the resistor behind the controller, or is it bare aluminum?
Mr. Boyce is talking about the plate indicated by the red arrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (365.9 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
Thiago M
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post

Thanks a lot, my RXV have a bare aluminum cage and operate with 4x12v trojan bateries.

I'll call the mechanic and try to do what you suggested, we'll see if we can get a diagnosis. My cart is the only one in the condo that has this problem.

It must have something to do with regenerative energy. I have tried to go down slowly or faster and the problem always repeats itself

The time it went further before locking up was when I was faster (full throttle) and he used the regenerative brake less, but even then it stops.
Thiago M is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO