lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #1
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Loose clutch bolt

I have a 06 TXT with a Vegas Carts Clone and Comet clutch. I went to the mailbox and when I stepped on the accelerator the cart didn't move. It made what I can best describe as a spinning rattling sound. Upon inspection I noticed the clutch's center bolt was loose. I hand tightened it with little effect. I walked the mile home and towed it home. I snugged the bolt down and successfully drove the cart a few feet. Since it has two flat washers I plan to replace one with a lock washer and put blue Loctite on the threads.

I see from other posts I'm not the first to experience this. Is it a common problem. It is certainly one that concerns me. Anyone know the correct torque for that bolt, or any insight beyond the washer and Loctite to prevent a reoccurrence?
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: Loose clutch bolt

Do you have a key in the shaft? even with the bolt loose it should still drive.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if the key is there but I get what you are saying. As soon as I can get back to it I'll look. Any idea on the key size for local procurement, in case it is missing?
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

1/4 inch x some inches.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Its 1/4 x 3/16 ,they come with the clutch when purchased.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

I also have had this bolt work loose on my club car ds

That's WITH loctite used(and not a small drop either)
general01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you have a straight shaft clutch (you should with a vegas) and not using a taper adapter/taper clutch, the key is what holds it. The bolt only keeps it from sliding off. You do need to make sure the bolt is holding the clutch tight and the clutch is not bottoming out first. But most cranks are not long enough to fill the clutch or it gets spaced out enough.

Blue loctite should hold anything, clean the threads and bolt first. I use brake cleaner spray.

You can also try silicone it will usually keep the bolt in there even if it comes loose as it gums up the threads nicely.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

^ I think I do that next time mine works itself out

I used a lot of the blue loctite but no luck
Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #9
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

Update for the op

Since I have removed the pull start(don't need it)

I used a long screw driver in the crankshaft end it uses to keep the crank from moving while I tightened the bolt

I have driven the cart four or five times since and it hasn't came loose(one was a long ditence trip and a different one was a high speed run the rest was just putting around)
Old 05-30-2016, 04:29 AM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
I have a 06 TXT with a Vegas Carts Clone and Comet clutch. ---- any insight beyond the washer and Loctite to prevent a reoccurrence?
Have you checked to see if the key is in place? If the key is in place properly -- the clutch will drive -- without it the bolt is the only thing driving it. The drive key should be as long as the drive key groove in the crankshaft. Have you checked out the original equipment to see if there should be a bend over bolt lock installed on it? A mechanical lock is best on most crankshaft applications. The reason being that thread locker uses heat to make it release -- the color doesn't matter, blue or red. Now think about how hot the crank shaft gets -- blue thread locker will let loose fairly easy.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps