lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
taken
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2010 CC DS Battery Replacement Questions

I have a reconditioned 2010 CC DS with 2012 CC batteries that I bought this fall. I'm assuming there have been two three year battery cycles on the cart at it's course. First set of batteries run 10-11-12 and the current set run 13-14-15. Then the cart was sold off lease to the reconditioning dealer I bought it from. When I got the cart home I pulled the battery caps and found that all 6 had the plates exposed by 1/4 to 1/2". I added distilled water but assumed they weren't long for this world. My battery monitor shows they discharge somewhat without use after a few days dropping into the yellow within 4 days of non use. (This meter in case anyone is wondering...)

Anyways, I had a plan to order some really decent AGM batteries that have better specs than the Trojan 890's and a DPI charger. Before I ordered, I took the cart on an RV trip to see how long they would run. I was really surprised at the results. We went to a RV park attached to a VERY large RV dealer. About 126 acres in all. We toured the entire place every day and never dropped into the yellow on a fresh charge the night before. So, does this mean my batteries still have some life left in them or does the self discharge and history of exposed plates still indicate that they are on their way out? I have a great deal lined up on the new AGM's and don't want to loose it if my batteries will indeed be shot soon. On the other hand, I don't want to order them if I still have another year or two left in my current batteries.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 CC DS Battery Replacement Questions

First thing most of us are going to tell you is get rid of that crappy bar graph meter..... Get yourself a digital voltage meter and learn to read your voltage like a gas gauge to which consider 48.4 volts as close to EMPTY you want to drive your cart and 50.9 volts FULL tank of gas...

2nd do not got with AGM batteries as they really are not intended for GOLF cart duty for golf carts you really want to stay with flooded wet cell as it takes heavy duty charging to replace the energy removed during use and that will boil off some of the water and in an AGM this can't be accomplished.

3rd even good batteries will self discharge a little without any use. That is why the recommendation is to keep your cart hooked up to its charger whenever it is not being used.

Also to get a better idea on where your batteries are in life after a full charge unplug your charger and let the cart sit for least 12 hours unused and then take an at rest reading. Then while your out driving it around and asking it for all that it has give us an under load reading. A 48 volt battery pack should hold better than 42 volts under load and the closer to 50.9 volts at rest the better.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
taken
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
First thing most of us are going to tell you is get rid of that crappy bar graph meter..... Get yourself a digital voltage meter and learn to read your voltage like a gas gauge to which consider 48.4 volts as close to EMPTY you want to drive your cart and 50.9 volts FULL tank of gas...

2nd do not got with AGM batteries as they really are not intended for GOLF cart duty for golf carts you really want to stay with flooded wet cell as it takes heavy duty charging to replace the energy removed during use and that will boil off some of the water and in an AGM this can't be accomplished.

3rd even good batteries will self discharge a little without any use. That is why the recommendation is to keep your cart hooked up to its charger whenever it is not being used.

Also to get a better idea on where your batteries are in life after a full charge unplug your charger and let the cart sit for least 12 hours unused and then take an at rest reading. Then while your out driving it around and asking it for all that it has give us an under load reading. A 48 volt battery pack should hold better than 42 volts under load and the closer to 50.9 volts at rest the better.
The AGM's I am after are designed specifically for carts and outspec flooded Trojan's top of the line 890's. No worries at all there. And, the cart lives in the garage of a toyhauler RV so I like the idea of no outgassing on flooded.

I'm not too worried about the meter. It's just a toy. I plug in every time I'm done using the cart so it's always full.

As to keeping the cart hooked up to it's charger all the time, this is useless with a Power Drive 3 that I currently have. It will only kick on the maintenance charge every 15 days and has nothing to do with current voltage. This is why I am going with a smart DPI when I get new batteries.

Anyways, all I was really wondering about was opinions on whether my batteries were near shot or not. Probably an unrealistic question as how can anyone or myself really know.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
The AGM's I am after are designed specifically for carts and outspec flooded Trojan's top of the line 890's. No worries at all there. And, the cart lives in the garage of a toyhauler RV so I like the idea of no outgassing on flooded.

I'm not too worried about the meter. It's just a toy. I plug in every time I'm done using the cart so it's always full.

As to keeping the cart hooked up to it's charger all the time, this is useless with a Power Drive 3 that I currently have. It will only kick on the maintenance charge every 15 days and has nothing to do with current voltage. This is why I am going with a smart DPI when I get new batteries.

Anyways, all I was really wondering about was opinions on whether my batteries were near shot or not. Probably an unrealistic question as how can anyone or myself really know.
Batts are already three years old and you want AGM's anyway,...
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
taken
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassk View Post
Batts are already three years old and you want AGM's anyway,...
Says the devil on my left shoulder....LOL...

So, three years on standard and likely abused batts is getting long in the tooth?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just bought two sets of T-875's-new set for my new to me old cart and replaced seven year old ones in her cart. Hydrometer is really the way to tell the health of a battery, since they were low. Charge cycles to get electrolyte mixed and maybe some individual charging is the way I would go about it. More work than some folks would want to mess with,...
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Opinions & WAGS we can always give.... I'd prefer to give an educated guess and that's why I suggested the real volt meter for voltage at rest as well as voltage while in use....
Old 11-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
taken
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll go with the KISS method on this. Bottom line is they are still doing what they are supposed to do so perhaps I'll just wait until they don't to replace them. Seems the simplest plan of all.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll go with the KISS method on this. Bottom line is they are still doing what they are supposed to do so perhaps I'll just wait until they don't to replace them. Seems the simplest plan of all.
Now that is not to say that I wouldn't take your own advise and go ahead and get the DPI charger now as that will make the best out of your old batteries and when/if you get the AGM's all you have to do is change the algorithm. My cart is parked in an overly finished garage with painted floors and such to which the batteries are plugged 24/7 into a DPI and thus far the battery tops are hardly even dirty after better than a year.....
Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
taken
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Now that is not to say that I wouldn't take your own advise and go ahead and get the DPI charger now as that will make the best out of your old batteries and when/if you get the AGM's all you have to do is change the algorithm. My cart is parked in an overly finished garage with painted floors and such to which the batteries are plugged 24/7 into a DPI and thus far the battery tops are hardly even dirty after better than a year.....

That may be a good plan. I see Power Drive 3 chargers sell fairly easy on eBay so I can recover much of the DPI cost. I was also considering the Delta Q but read here after some searching that the switching power supply it employs is much less reliable. Another more value priced charger that can be switched to AGM ALG is the Schauer. It's a touch cheaper than the DPI but I can't find too many reviews on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car