lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2002 DS - Pulling Motor

I recently acquired a 2002 DS 36V with VGlide. In the process of a complete disassembly to clean and paint. Unfortunately a motor stud broke. Was going to try to weld a bolt to the broken stud as I have seen others do but wanted to remove motor so it would be easier access. So I pulled the rear axle and performed the "drop" method (
) to dislodge the motor. Unfortunately the rotor stayed on the shaft and just the case with the brushes came off. Couple of questions:

1) How can I continue to try and get the rotor off without damaging it?
2) How do I get the case back on the rotor and get the brushes to seat correctly? Of course, I may need to do this with the rotor still on the axle if I can't get it off.

As for number 1, I'm thinking that I should continue the "drop" method but put a rope or something around it to keep it from falling to the concrete as happened in the video. Would prefer to still have a working motor.

As for number 2, do I pull the aluminum cap when putting the rotor back in the case so I can pull the brushes back?

Lastly, is this motor worth a crap? I have a 1990 DS that's been converted to Alltrax 400A, 400A solenoid, HD F/R, and lithium pack. That 36V motor is still going strong but I believe it's a different model.

Thanks for all the help you guys provide on here.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 DS - Pulling Motor

Sorry. Forgot to attach pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotor.jpg (297.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg case.jpg (187.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

youll have to take the 2 bolts out at the other and and separate the case. once you do this you can push the brushes back past the spring and set it all back in.. then just push the brushes back on to the commutator bar.. i had to do this the other night when cleaning out a motor.
pretty simple actually
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

You might never get it off. I’ve had cases where it just doesn’t come no matter what. I did find a way to put the motor housing and brushes back on with the armature stuck though...
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Luke:

You may be right. I've dropped and dropped and dropped. It's not coming loose. Guess I'll put it back on the axle. The new stud turned out great though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stud.jpg (174.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gall:

What do you mean by "split case". I see the 4 small bolts that, I assume, go all the way to the other end. I also see the 2 screws that looks like connects to the brush plate. Should I remove the 4 bolts and 2 screws thereby providing access to the case and then from there, place the case over the rotor and install brush plate. Then replace all screws and bolts?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Stand the differential on its end, spray some PB Blaster, so it runs down into the splines. Let it sit. I have 100 percent success rate of getting them off.

As far as not ruining the armature, I have a foam mat that I put under where the armature will fall. Never ruined one yet. Im sure you can take a bunch of towels or something cushy and put it under.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Forgot pic again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caseend.jpg (164.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, GCG. That was my next question. Can I spray PB Blaster on the splines without ruining the motor if it happens to get on the windings?
Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
Forgot pic again.
Those 4 bolts should come out on the outside edge and you cand split them apart .. then when the case is apart you can put the brushes back and put together .. at least thats how every motor ive delt with is

This is a picture of my d&d motor but my stock club car motor came apart like this also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180429_204036.jpg (111.3 KB, 0 views)
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car