lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Increase hill and overall speed 2000.5 series

thanks, man. The brakes are another unexpected expense (I might actually spend more on this thing than golf clubs this year and I'm a full golf club ho ) but already having fun learning and DIY. What should I expect to pay for brakes? Hoping to get away with just doing the rears if that's possible since I don't expect to go nuts on the speed (though we have a lot of hills and may need them goign downhill). And are brakes another fairly easy DIY upgrade in your opinion (or others here)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbinkley3 View Post
I did put in a Plum Quick motor, but there were some minor adjustments made once we received it. I did not do those adjustments...my new best friend did lol. I wanted additional speed, I couldn't handle 13mph but I also wanted torque, a little jump off the line. I did not want to get into the controller, the F/R switch or anything else. I will however have to put disc brakes all around or we'll tear the cart up just trying to stop it. As far as the cables I'll do that when I put all new batteries in. My cart carries me and one other since it's set up to play a round of golf as well. Scottyb and these other guys have been doing this for years and I'd follow their lead. What I did not want to do was lift the cart mainly because of all of the upgrading that would have to be done (contoller, F/R, Batteries, lift kit, cables etc.) what I did want was speed. By adding 12" rims and low pro tires I gained 3-4 mph and with the new motor we GPS'd it at 27mph on flat surface (took a long time to stretch it out) but it crusies at 22-23mph. Can't stress enough - in order to enjoy it it'll have to have good disc breaks. On a 45 degree incline? Man I don't have a clue Scottyb or Shadowman can answer that. Hope this helps :)
kellerjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

thanks, scotty. I don't mind spending a bit more if I get the value. For example, if a 500A programmable controller is $70 more than a 400A non-programmable, I'd rather spend it just in case I get the itch (which I'm guessing I will from all the others with this experience here). Time to do a little more research with your directions here....Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You can choose between controllers that are programmable or non programmable.
You pay more for a programmable controller and 90% of all users never reprogram their controllers. They come set to 100% output with reasonable throttle and voltage parameters.
Typically I can get you a higher amperage control without programming for the same money as a smaller controller with program options.

One scenario where you may want program options would be if you were buying a really big controller now with plans for a big motor in the future... you would want to turn down the output for the stock motor now.

The guys at FSIP have a nice series control with adjustable (mechanical) throttle response and output.

Both Controls are compatible with the PQ motors. And both suppliers can outfit your purchase with a field map (program) to fit any major motor producer on today's market ~ all you have to do is ask
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Tbinkley3
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Increase hill and overall speed 2000.5 series

The expense incurred with these carts can mount up quickly...especially with us new guy's. That's the main reason for me not getting into lifting the cart. The expense of owning one and keeping it running can quickly mount up. The initial problem that i ran into (bad OBC) almost caused me to just sell it for parts...I'm glad that I didn't and kudos are due these guy's for all of their help, but my DS sat for months (5) as i purchased tools, learned how to use them, learned how to communicate effectively with these guy's that were lending a hand. Very frustrating, but ultimately very rewarding...so much so that i bought a second one. You'll definately spend more this year on the cart than you ever did on clubs, but man what a deal. I'm doing disc breaks front & rear...I do not want anyone getting hurt and with the DS going down hill wide open (kid or wife loosing control of cart) I want them to be able to stop safely. I also don't want to discover after I have done the rear brakes that I should have done all four. OLD MEC chimed in on this topic and I'm taking his advise. I've snooped around on cost and figure I'll spend between $300 & 500.00...It is not a DIY project for me...I'll have it done.
Tbinkley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thinking the same thing - I had the shop put a converter in and run speaker wires, etc., b/c I just didn't want to screw up the electrical this early in my new hobby and I fee the same as you about safety and the brakes. Thanks for the advice, especially on patience.

Good news is I have all new clubs this year so now I can focus on the cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbinkley3 View Post
The expense incurred with these carts can mount up quickly...especially with us new guy's. That's the main reason for me not getting into lifting the cart. The expense of owning one and keeping it running can quickly mount up. The initial problem that i ran into (bad OBC) almost caused me to just sell it for parts...I'm glad that I didn't and kudos are due these guy's for all of their help, but my DS sat for months (5) as i purchased tools, learned how to use them, learned how to communicate effectively with these guy's that were lending a hand. Very frustrating, but ultimately very rewarding...so much so that i bought a second one. You'll definately spend more this year on the cart than you ever did on clubs, but man what a deal. I'm doing disc breaks front & rear...I do not want anyone getting hurt and with the DS going down hill wide open (kid or wife loosing control of cart) I want them to be able to stop safely. I also don't want to discover after I have done the rear brakes that I should have done all four. OLD MEC chimed in on this topic and I'm taking his advise. I've snooped around on cost and figure I'll spend between $300 & 500.00...It is not a DIY project for me...I'll have it done.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hey guys, based on your experiences and input and my goal to ultimately get to 23 mph with reasonable solid speed up the hills in our community, I am thinking of doing this in three parts:

1) upgrade controller, 2 gauge cables, F/R switch and solenoid
2). See what performance impact that makes with the stock motor then determine which motor makes sense dialing in the specs based on where the gaps are - guessing a 4500 rpm motor but maybe 5500 rpm if torque is there (I think the latter would make getting tires not as critical - see below)
3) larger tires to get a little more speed (would actually like to get to the 23 mph wihtout doing this since I have brand new rims and tires so let me know thoughts here)

Thoughts on this approach? Any suggested changes or risks I am not seeing?

Also, is a 500 amp controller plenty for this future plan or should I get a 650-700 amp?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What size tires are you currently7 running?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerjam View Post
Hey guys, based on your experiences and input and my goal to ultimately get to 23 mph with reasonable solid speed up the hills in our community, I am thinking of doing this in three parts:

1) upgrade controller, 2 gauge cables, F/R switch and solenoid
2). See what performance impact that makes with the stock motor then determine which motor makes sense dialing in the specs based on where the gaps are - guessing a 4500 rpm motor but maybe 5500 rpm if torque is there (I think the latter would make getting tires not as critical - see below)
3) larger tires to get a little more speed (would actually like to get to the 23 mph wihtout doing this since I have brand new rims and tires so let me know thoughts here)

Thoughts on this approach? Any suggested changes or risks I am not seeing?

Also, is a 500 amp controller plenty for this future plan or should I get a 650-700 amp?

Thanks
My experience is limited to my two electric Club cars. I would actually do this the other way, motor first. One cart was a stock 2002 CC DS series. I drive in on golf course and paved roads/paths. The cart would go 19.6-20. The hills by my house would take it down to 13-14. The cart was upgraded with an Advanced 6-223A motor (local guy had one). That change alone took the cart to 24+ on flats and 16+ up that hill. 10" wheels with 205-65-10 tire on back.

If it were me, I would call Plum Quick and get a motor upgrade first.

In that cart I mentioned before, I then upgraded to 4 GA and dropped in a 500 A controller. The controller did make some difference on that hill, and pulling up hills from stop, but you may be happy with performance after a new motor.

Of course this all assumes your batteries are strong.
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just measured them at 19"

Should have mentioned in original post this is 48V already - not great batteries (i.e.,not Trojans), but they are brand new and VERY clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What size tires are you currently7 running?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
kellerjam
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hmmm. I should GPS mine to be more accurate, but I have to think I'm getting 12 mph on flat and half thatup some our our steeper hills (maybe its more, and sometimes it seems faster than others, but still a little painful). Wonder why mine is so much slower without the upgrade?

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
My experience is limited to my two electric Club cars. I would actually do this the other way, motor first. One cart was a stock 2002 CC DS series. I drive in on golf course and paved roads/paths. The cart would go 19.6-20. The hills by my house would take it down to 13-14. The cart was upgraded with an Advanced 6-223A motor (local guy had one). That change alone took the cart to 24+ on flats and 16+ up that hill. 10" wheels with 205-65-10 tire on back.

If it were me, I would call Plum Quick and get a motor upgrade first.

In that cart I mentioned before, I then upgraded to 4 GA and dropped in a 500 A controller. The controller did make some difference on that hill, and pulling up hills from stop, but you may be happy with performance after a new motor.

Of course this all assumes your batteries are strong.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Stock series carts do not go 10-20mph ?
The golf courses will not allow it.
12-14 is normal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car