lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
The Villager
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What Do I have

Just bought a Country Western Golf Cart that looks a little like a Cadillac.
From the dealer: He says its a 2007 EZ-Go with the VIN of: 14V551117W02878

I found a number stamped on the hump of the frame under the passenger seat that reads: 28078
This cart has seven (7) 6 VOLT Batteries w/ and on board QUIQ Charger in yellow & Black.

Can someone help me identify what year/chassis manufacture/ Manufacture model etc. I have searched the internet till my eyes are crossed.

Lou In Florida
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
The Villager
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Do I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager View Post

I found a number stamped on the hump of the frame under the passenger seat that reads: 28078
This cart has seven (7) 6 VOLT Batteries w/ and on board QUIQ Charger in yellow & Black.

Can someone help me identify what year/chassis manufacture/ Manufacture model etc. I have searched the internet till my eyes are crossed.

Lou In Florida
I have now found a tag on the Wire Harness in the battery area under the seat: Kauffman Engineering Part Number 74324G02. The tag reads PASSED 08-1-06. I assume that means it was inspected on Aug 1st 2006 before heading to EZ Go. When I look up that specific part number, I find it to fit 2005 EZ Go to current TXT carts.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a 42v Western Golf Car built on an EZGO chassis.
Our proclaimed Western Golf Car expert member dougmcp should be along to fill you in much better than can I. In the interim, just search on Western Golf Carts here and on the www.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager View Post

Lou In Florida
The VIN number means it is a street legal version of the Western cart.
Something is odd because your VIN number is missing 2 digits, it should be 17 not 15. Decoding it is impossible without all the numbers IE: the year of manufacture is the 10th digit. Your 10th digit indicates 1998 which tells me there is something wrong with the number.
Take another look at the number on the frame, it should be 11 or 12 digits, the first 3 are the model, next 3 are the manufacturing date and the last numbers are the sequence serial number.
If it has 7 batteries, it was likely built as a 42v cart with the Delta-Q charger mounted up under the front of the cart.
If it is a 2007 model it is likely a sepex cart and may use the Minarik controller.

I would have a better idea if you could post a photo of it or a website I can see it on?
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
The Villager
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
The VIN number means it is a street legal version of the Western cart.
Something is odd because your VIN number is missing 2 digits, it should be 17 not 15. Decoding it is impossible without all the numbers IE: the year of manufacture is the 10th digit. Your 10th digit indicates 1998 which tells me there is something wrong with the number.
Take another look at the number on the frame, it should be 11 or 12 digits, the first 3 are the model, next 3 are the manufacturing date and the last numbers are the sequence serial number.
If it has 7 batteries, it was likely built as a 42v cart with the Delta-Q charger mounted up under the front of the cart.
If it is a 2007 model it is likely a sepex cart and may use the Minarik controller.

I would have a better idea if you could post a photo of it or a website I can see it on?
Well, the plot thickens. The VIN number came from the dealer so I don't know how to verify that. I just verified the 28078 stamped deep into the frame hump under the passenger seat.
It is in fact a Delta Q charger mounted under the front section. It is yellow and black.

I went out last night using the head lights for the first time. With the stereo playing, when I turn on the headlight, the stereo blacks out for about one (1) second, then back on. When I hit the brakes, the stereo blacks out for about one(1) second then back on, if I go from low beam to high beam, the stereo blacks out for about one(1) second. BUT, I drove for about 30 minutes and the stereo never black out unless I add a power draw from something else. Any Idea what is wrong. I am under a 90 day warrenty, so would like to get if fixed if there is a problem.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The radio dropping out is just voltage sag, if it it wired to just 2 batteries, a voltage reducer may help but also may not. This is a pretty common issue with electric carts using the pack to power accessories.
The VIN number is usually pop riveted to the top of the dash on the drivers side.
Here's what they look like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Western VIN Model 400 2003.jpg (60.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
The Villager
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
The radio dropping out is just voltage sag, if it it wired to just 2 batteries, a voltage reducer may help but also may not. This is a pretty common issue with electric carts using the pack to power accessories.
The VIN number is usually pop riveted to the top of the dash on the drivers side.
Here's what they look like:
Thanks for the information, but I'm still in the dark. I cant even find any metal up underneath the dash board of this cart. I talked to a local cart mechanic and he said that most everything can be replaced with parts that are available from EZ GO and other aftermarket places. No body parts anymore since they are out of business. I will have to be careful with the shell. He did say if the Delta Q charger up under the front end will have to be replaced with a off board charger if it gos bad.

Do you know any sites that I can book mark for body parts, used or new either one?

Lou
The Villages Florida
Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The cart is basically an Ezgo cart with some modifications.
All of the running gear/chassis and basic wiring is Ezgo.
The 42v models used all 36v parts as no parts were ever made for 42v.
The motor and solenoid is 36v, the controller is either a Curtis or a Minarik depending on whether it is a series motor or a regen motor cart.
The battery charger is made by Delta-Q which is considered the best in the business. I'm not sure why someone would tell you it would need to be replaced by something else.
You will definitely have to be careful with the body but it is all fiberglass and can be repaired by anyone who does fiberglass cars or boats. How often do you smash up a cart?
Body trim pieces are next to impossible to find so you will need to take care of those pieces.
You mentioned you couldn't find any metal under the dash, what were you looking for? If it is the VIN it should be on top of the dash on the driver's side. Western made 2 types of carts, golf and street, golf carts have no VIN. To be a cart that was built as street legal, the VIN needs to be clearly visible, if you can't see it, ask your dealer to show it to you.
Can you post some photos of your cart?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Oh NO! "The Villages...Florida's friend-leee-est Hometown....hmm, hmm, hmmm....."

That jingle always get stuck in my head everytime I hear it!

Welcome....I'm in a retirement community a little further south called Wellington near Spring Hill. We don't have a jingle though...

The radio dropping out is due to transient loads or sag of the source as doug says.
As long as the radio memory, the channels that you stored, are retained and not lost I wouldn't worry about the occasional loss of audio every time you turn on another accessory.
It's a nuisance but the fixes are sometimes complicated such as adding a separate 12 V battery or even adding componet parts like diodes and capacitors to maintain radio power....If it does hold memory I'm not sure your dealer would consider this a "defect"......

Does the radio hold memory?
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
The Villager
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

MORE INFO: I stormed into the dealer and told them everything I have learned on this site. Thank you DOUGMCP. Keep in mind, they told me that Western carts had no serial number. They said that the number on the frame hump was done by EZ Go and a few other things that turned out to be wrong. Well, this time I was more insistant and the manager got involved, looked at the paper work they gave me at time of sale and rememberd that the cart was bought new when they were acually a Western Dealer. He went into the computer and seached all Westerns sold in 2007 and walla, found this cart. The salesman that sold it to me missed one digit on the VIN and the Mechanic that checked it over when it came back to this dealer three years after they sold it left off 2 digits from his paperwork. NOW, the real VIN is: 14v5511177W028078. The cart was ordered on 6 Decmeber 2006, and was delivered to the First owner on 30 January 2007. When I asked again about the VIN ID PLATE not being on the car, he told me that they did not sell any of them as Street Legal, so they did not put the VIN PLATE on any of the Westerns they sold. I'm still not sure that is correct. Anyway, I realy like this cart and after I drove it about 50 miles, I have a wheel bearing (I think) going out. I have made an appointment for Monday to have all bearing, brakes and a general look it over done. I think this cart sat in a garage for the last few years without being driven. The seats, Brake pedal, carpets etc. look like they have never been used at all. My guess is the bearings got some mosture and just went bad sitting there. Anyway, I should know where I stand by tomorrow night.

Thanks again DougMPC for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO