lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
FSUNoles07
Not Yet Wild

Default Modz Max48 charger and Battery Questions

This is my first ever post and i hope i am posting in right section. I just bought a 2016 Club Car Precedent from an insurance auction. It had been stolen and a lot of the wires in the dash were ripped out. I have most of those wires figured out, but i have some battery/charging question. I bought a Modz Max48 charger for it and i plugged it in. I let it charge for a little while, unplugged it and let it sit for a few hours. Total was 40v. I tested each battery and found 5 batteries had 7.5 volts and one battery had 2.4v. I replaced the one battery and now when charging i have 52v with 12 amps. The charger keeps blinking red (1s on, 1s off), the description says less then 80% charging. My question is, does this mean i have a bad battery somewhere else? Does this mean the charger is just charging slower? I would think 12 amps is a decent charge rate. I checked the water level and topped up as needed with distilled. Im thinking im just being over paranoid about melting my batteries, what do you all think? Thanks!
FSUNoles07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Modz Max48 charger and Battery Questions

52 volts "when charging" isn't done yet. If you're reading it while the charger is running it could get to around 63 / 64 volts during the finishing stage. Let the charger run till it shuts itself off, then let the pack settle for 12 hours or so. THEN take a voltage reading.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
FSUNoles07
Not Yet Wild

Thanks meimk, ill let it charge for a little while longer and see how that does.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Hello FSU. Welcome to BGW.

I just bought this same charger and have used it a few times. I have not had the time to monitor voltages closely and "babysit" the light indicators.

Having said that, 50 volts after 12 hours rest is an 80% charge. As meimke pointed out the charger will put out over 60v while charging. What is important is what you have 12 hours after the charger shuts off. Let it run its course. Hope this helps.

P.S. What the flashing red means is less than 80% CHARGED, not less than 80% CHARGING.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Is this what you have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190920_204422575.jpg (360.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:59 PM   #6
FSUNoles07
Not Yet Wild

Yes. That is the charger i have. I let it charge overnight and the light was green and the charger was off. I guess i just got worried when the red light was on for longer then i thought it should be and i heard gurgling from the batteries. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUNoles07 View Post
Yes. That is the charger i have. I let it charge overnight and the light was green and the charger was off. I guess i just got worried when the red light was on for longer then i thought it should be and i heard gurgling from the batteries. Thanks.
Hey FSU. I have been using this charger for a while now but have not been able to babysit it and watch it run through a whole charge cycle to green.

But, I have twice watched it long enough to see that it flashes on/off red for up to an hour before it switches to amber. This is with batteries I know were more than 80% charged when I connected the charger. Either the label on the front is wrong, the lights are wrong, or either I am not understanding what they say.

Whatever that issue is, the wording, the lights, or my understanding, I will say it is charging the pack like it is supposed to.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:08 AM   #8
john11139
Not Yet Wild

I just got the same charger about two weeks ago. I wish they would have put a volt meter on it. I am new to the golf carts and got one where the battery and cables were stolen. I bought new batteries and after hooking the charger up, I was sort of confused as how they work. I hooked my digital volt meter on the batteries and after charging for 4 or 5 hours it was showing 63 volts and is was gassing. I got worried and shut it off. Every one on here said hook it back up as it is not unusual for it to go up to 66 volts. Charged it again and left it alone, went up again then shut off like it was supposed to. After that it would shut off around 62-63 volts. (still wish it had a volt meter built in it instead of those confusing lights. I went through 4 or 5 cycles then the charger wouldn't work. Kept flashing green and red indicating a bad battery. All batteries were new and read 8.3 but with volt meter was showing about 50 v. I checked every thing, it drove me crazy. I thought my charging circuit had gone bad on the cart. Made wires to by pass that. Still would not charge. I cleaned all terminals, still no go. Finally I took the red wire off the battery that goes to the charging plug, it looked ok but had heat shrink terminal (battery end) so could not really see it. I cut it off about 2" back and installed a new one and soldered it. It charged fine then. Split heat shrink tubing on it and split the terminal open and you could see how it had corroded. Still wish it had a digital volt meter on it so I don't have to raise the seat and hook my volt meter on it when charging as that way you can watch it as it very slowly goes up instead of a blinking light.
john11139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by john11139 View Post
I just got the same charger about two weeks ago. I wish they would have put a volt meter on it. I am new to the golf carts and got one where the battery and cables were stolen. I bought new batteries and after hooking the charger up, I was sort of confused as how they work. I hooked my digital volt meter on the batteries and after charging for 4 or 5 hours it was showing 63 volts and is was gassing. I got worried and shut it off. Every one on here said hook it back up as it is not unusual for it to go up to 66 volts. Charged it again and left it alone, went up again then shut off like it was supposed to. After that it would shut off around 62-63 volts. (still wish it had a volt meter built in it instead of those confusing lights. I went through 4 or 5 cycles then the charger wouldn't work. Kept flashing green and red indicating a bad battery. All batteries were new and read 8.3 but with volt meter was showing about 50 v. I checked every thing, it drove me crazy. I thought my charging circuit had gone bad on the cart. Made wires to by pass that. Still would not charge. I cleaned all terminals, still no go. Finally I took the red wire off the battery that goes to the charging plug, it looked ok but had heat shrink terminal (battery end) so could not really see it. I cut it off about 2" back and installed a new one and soldered it. It charged fine then. Split heat shrink tubing on it and split the terminal open and you could see how it had corroded. Still wish it had a digital volt meter on it so I don't have to raise the seat and hook my volt meter on it when charging as that way you can watch it as it very slowly goes up instead of a blinking light.
Glad you figured out the problem and got it working.

Yes a built in meter would be nice, but the factory chargers don't have them either. The status info on the charger is either wrong, misleading, or I don't understand it. Other than that, I really like this charger so far. Lightweight, seems to be well built, has a fan, water resistant, will charge with or without OBC.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car