lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Aquaman95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Zeva & TC Questions

Getting ready to place an order of some of the longer lead time components while I wait for batteries and haven't heard back from them so figure I'll ask here.

1) Can the Zeva BMS dashmount be removed from the case if I choose to panel mount? Haven't figured out where I'm going to put it yet and it would be nice to have the option.

2) If I go with the Hall Effect Sensor instead of the shunt, any reason not to get the 1200a version just in case? It says accuracy down to .1 a which seems like plenty of resolution. I have a 700a FSIP controller and PQ Rattlesnake but doubt I ever pull close to that much.

3) I'm ordering the Elcon TC 1800 charger...the only important info they need is type of battery, 120 VAC input, CAN Bus output, correct? Everything else it programmed through the Zeva?

TIA!
Aquaman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Zeva & TC Questions

Have you heard back from Ian yet? He's usually quick with responses.

Seems like the 1200 amp hall effect sensor would be wild overkill. The highest amp draw I have seen anyone report seeing in these lithium setups was 400-something. The cost is minimal from the 400 amp sensor on up to the 1200 amp sensor. So to that point, it's not a big deal, just don't know if that would create other issues. I would suggest waiting for one of the gurus on here to answer that, or wait for Ian's answer.

As to the TC charger question. DaveTM had an issue with that. I can't remember what the issue was exactly. Maybe send him private message, or look through his build thread.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman95 View Post
Getting ready to place an order of some of the longer lead time components while I wait for batteries and haven't heard back from them so figure I'll ask here.

1) Can the Zeva BMS dashmount be removed from the case if I choose to panel mount? Haven't figured out where I'm going to put it yet and it would be nice to have the option.

2) If I go with the Hall Effect Sensor instead of the shunt, any reason not to get the 1200a version just in case? It says accuracy down to .1 a which seems like plenty of resolution. I have a 700a FSIP controller and PQ Rattlesnake but doubt I ever pull close to that much.

3) I'm ordering the Elcon TC 1800 charger...the only important info they need is type of battery, 120 VAC input, CAN Bus output, correct? Everything else it programmed through the Zeva?

TIA!
1) This thread has pictures of the Monitor case opened, it does appear you could mount it on a water protected dash area:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/all-t...ml#post1569724

2) Accuracy is the main concern since the Zeva uses the current reading to calculate SOC.
Controllers current rating are about Motor current, not Battery current.
I would used a 500amp shunt or 600Amp Hall sensor.

3) The TC charges can be configure for CAN bus control or pre-set voltage, but not both.
If They ask you for the "Charge Voltage setting", they are configuring it incorrectly (that option is incompatible with CAN bus Control).
The CAN bus controlled version can only set the charging voltage in whole numbers, meaning 57v/4.07VPC or 58v/4.14VPC, while the preset version can be ordered with a more precise setting, but not field changed, like 57.4V/4.10VPC.
That typically is not an issue unless you have some strict requirements.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I order my Elcon charger from China. I didn't know that at the time I ordered it and the only question I was ask was "pack voltage"....and maybe number of cells. I "assumed" it would be set up for CAN bus, but when it came it was preset.

So, being the control freak that I am, I sent it to ELcon in Calif. and for another $80-$100 including shipping they re-programmed it to CAN bus.

So....if you want CAN bus you should expect to be ask more than two questions.

BTW....my Elcon charger has been working very well since I installed it.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium