lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
devontruscott
Not Yet Wild

Angry 08 RXV shorted 5v system

Hi guys,
I recently made a foolish mistake and shorted my 48v to 5v leads while installing an aftermarket battery gauge. Had my error codes read and found that my TPS and Brake sensor are fried, AC short as well.
I replaced the TPS and BPS but cart still won't move. Replaced brake as well just incase it was the issue.

Is there a definite way to tell if my controller (Danaher) is shorted? I don't want to dish out $1200 on a new controller if its not 100% the problem.
I have tested resistance through the motor leads and get .3 ohms, manual says I should see.4 or higher. Does this mean my motor is shorted or could my meter be off?
appreciate any help
devontruscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 08 RXV shorted 5v system

Quote:
Originally Posted by devontruscott View Post
Hi guys,
I recently made a foolish mistake and shorted my 48v to 5v leads while installing an aftermarket battery gauge. Had my error codes read and found that my TPS and Brake sensor are fried, AC short as well.
I replaced the TPS and BPS but cart still won't move. Replaced brake as well just incase it was the issue.

Is there a definite way to tell if my controller (Danaher) is shorted? I don't want to dish out $1200 on a new controller if its not 100% the problem.
I have tested resistance through the motor leads and get .3 ohms, manual says I should see.4 or higher. Does this mean my motor is shorted or could my meter be off?
appreciate any help
Usually when you take out the throttle and brake encoders, it takes out the motor speed encoder and the controller. The way to test is, unplug the brake encoder and stick the probes of a multimeter set on the 20V scale into the sockets of the orange and black wires of the harness connector you unplugged. Turn on the key and check to see if you have 5V present. If so, your controller MAY have survived. No guarantees, as it usually fries the 5V logic section. If they were able to pull trouble codes,you may have lucked out. Your SOC meter output is probably cooked though.

If your controller is fried, you can get a new Curtis controller conversion kit for about $600 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172652072571...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
devontruscott
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Bob.
I have replaced TPS/BPS and controller (Danaher again, tested and working) and the cart still does nothing different than before replacing those parts.
Should I replace the bearing encoder as well> it is on the same 5v circuit.
symptoms: I get 5v on the 5v lead (orange) at the TPS etc if i go to Battery ground, if i measure using the orange and black wire at the sensor I get nothing. But if I use that same black wire to check battery voltage it functions as a ground. (scratching my head)
I have also found that I am getting 3.8 volts through my sensor ground wire.

Solenoid clicks, buzzer sounds in reverse. Parking break is new but doesn't release even in Tow
devontruscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devontruscott View Post
Thanks for the reply Bob.
I have replaced TPS/BPS and controller (Danaher again, tested and working) and the cart still does nothing different than before replacing those parts.
Should I replace the bearing encoder as well> it is on the same 5v circuit.
symptoms: I get 5v on the 5v lead (orange) at the TPS etc if i go to Battery ground, if i measure using the orange and black wire at the sensor I get nothing. But if I use that same black wire to check battery voltage it functions as a ground. (scratching my head)
I have also found that I am getting 3.8 volts through my sensor ground wire.

Solenoid clicks, buzzer sounds in reverse. Parking break is new but doesn't release even in Tow
If the run/tow switch does not release the motor brake, it surely sounds as if there is a problem in that loop, and that would stop the cart from working. The +48V comes through a fuse in a fuseholder that is hidden under a cap that is attached to one edge of the plastic controller cover that the run/tow switch is attached to. That +48V routes through the run plug under the cupholder assembly, through the brake switch at the brake pedal, and to the motor brake plug/socket + side. The - lead comes from the motor brake plug/socket - and routes through the run plug, and to the controller brake FET pin. An error at the controller (power on test fails) will still prevent the motor brake from unlocking when in Tow mode.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
If the run/tow switch does not release the motor brake, it surely sounds as if there is a problem in that loop, and that would stop the cart from working. The +48V comes through a fuse in a fuseholder that is hidden under a cap that is attached to one edge of the plastic controller cover that the run/tow switch is attached to. That +48V routes through the run plug under the cupholder assembly, through the brake switch at the brake pedal, and to the motor brake plug/socket + side. The - lead comes from the motor brake plug/socket - and routes through the run plug, and to the controller brake FET pin. An error at the controller (power on test fails) will still prevent the motor brake from unlocking when in Tow mode.
Well I hope to bring back some memories. I have an electric rxv with danaher controller with the same problem. Owner tried installing LED lights and wire them at the SOC plug and car stopped working. At this point we have found problems on the 5V circuit. We are replaced the rotary switches at brake/accel pedal but car did not run. We also tested two different controllers and still no reaction. We are missing replacing the bearing encoder which we have to do but wonder if the problem is still in the controller. Before going in to open the motor is there a way to test if the controller is good? Understand replacing the encoder is a job on its own. Or can it be the harness?
Carts4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts4you View Post
Well I hope to bring back some memories. I have an electric rxv with danaher controller with the same problem. Owner tried installing LED lights and wire them at the SOC plug and car stopped working. At this point we have found problems on the 5V circuit. We are replaced the rotary switches at brake/accel pedal but car did not run. We also tested two different controllers and still no reaction. We are missing replacing the bearing encoder which we have to do but wonder if the problem is still in the controller. Before going in to open the motor is there a way to test if the controller is good? Understand replacing the encoder is a job on its own. Or can it be the harness?
When the SOC plug gets shorted, it sends +48VDC into the sensors +5VDC bus, frying the 5V sensor regulator in the controller, and fries ALL of the 5V powered sensors. You will have to change out the controller, the throttle encoder, the brake encoder, and the motor speed encoder. Only then will the cart operate again. BTW, FSIP does not normally test the +5VDC regulator that powers the sensors, as their test bench powers the sensors. They will not catch a bad +5V sensor regulator unless it is pointed out to them to check it...

Bob
Old 12-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
When the SOC plug gets shorted, it sends +48VDC into the sensors +5VDC bus, frying the 5V sensor regulator in the controller, and fries ALL of the 5V powered sensors. You will have to change out the controller, the throttle encoder, the brake encoder, and the motor speed encoder. Only then will the cart operate again. BTW, FSIP does not normally test the +5VDC regulator that powers the sensors, as their test bench powers the sensors. They will not catch a bad +5V sensor regulator unless it is pointed out to them to check it...

Bob
Thank you Bob for the info. Let me ask....if the light connection was removed at SOC wires, and then we change the controller, will the switches take out the replaced controller? Hopefully the replacement was not reman by FSIP! but the second controller was from another used car.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carts4you View Post
Thank you Bob for the info. Let me ask....if the light connection was removed at SOC wires, and then we change the controller, will the switches take out the replaced controller? Hopefully the replacement was not reman by FSIP! but the second controller was from another used car.
The sensors are encoders, not switches. They will not damage the controller, but a single bad encoder can pull the 5V encoder bus down to a low enough voltage to prevent operation. That is why all encoders must be changed to guarantee operation of a replacement controller. Once operation is restored, then you can unplug an encoder and plug that harness into another encoder to test. A bad encoder can flatline the 5V encoder power supply without damage for a short time, as it is current limited by a series resistor on the controller motherboard. It would take more than 5 minutes of flatline to heat up the series resistor enough to possibly unsolder itself off of the PCB.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
Tex1975
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The sensors are encoders, not switches. They will not damage the controller, but a single bad encoder can pull the 5V encoder bus down to a low enough voltage to prevent operation. That is why all encoders must be changed to guarantee operation of a replacement controller. Once operation is restored, then you can unplug an encoder and plug that harness into another encoder to test. A bad encoder can flatline the 5V encoder power supply without damage for a short time, as it is current limited by a series resistor on the controller motherboard. It would take more than 5 minutes of flatline to heat up the series resistor enough to possibly unsolder itself off of the PCB.
First post and long time lurker. I know this is an old thread but I am trying to fix this similar problem on a cart I just acquired. 2008 RXV 48V freedom. Danaher controller and no mods. The guy that gave it too me has somebody drive the cart with the brake locked up. He replaced the brake and cart wouldn't move. Thought it was the controller and gave it to me. No voltage at the brake and the cart will not move with the tow/run switch. We had to unbolt the brake just to move it. Could you explain how to check the loop for that switch please? I have done most of the checks that somebody posted for the 2008 troubleshooting. I have checked the brake and gas switches and they test good. I took the brake after it was off and plugged it up to my buddies cart(Same year) and it disengaged when he hit the tow switch. Thank you for your time.
Tex1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
Carts4you
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1975 View Post
First post and long time lurker. I know this is an old thread but I am trying to fix this similar problem on a cart I just acquired. 2008 RXV 48V freedom. Danaher controller and no mods. The guy that gave it too me has somebody drive the cart with the brake locked up. He replaced the brake and cart wouldn't move. Thought it was the controller and gave it to me. No voltage at the brake and the cart will not move with the tow/run switch. We had to unbolt the brake just to move it. Could you explain how to check the loop for that switch please? I have done most of the checks that somebody posted for the 2008 troubleshooting. I have checked the brake and gas switches and they test good. I took the brake after it was off and plugged it up to my buddies cart(Same year) and it disengaged when he hit the tow switch. Thank you for your time.
Thank you for bringing the topic back online. I am still working on the unit that is not activating. So this will be good to continue the thread and hopefully learn more about troubleshooting this system. Did you replace the controller already? There is another thread we have on similar subject you may want to ready through - "2014 rxv freedom 1206 ac with encoder fault issue"

All goes around this 5 volt circuit that includes the brake. Have you checked the wiring for the brake? Goes back to pin 7 on the 23 pin connector. In the advanced troubleshooting manual (which I understand you have) gives you the correct voltage readings. Hope we can sort these cars out soon! They are a pain!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO