lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 1998 Club Car DS - Tire bounce?

Hello, I have a 98' club cart that I just picked up the other day. 48V, upgraded stock motor - does about 17mph, 6 new interstate batteries. I was riding around with the kids yesterday on the community road and at first i didn't notice anything and it was smooth. Later i went on with my wife driving, myself passenger and my son on the back and it started to feel bouncing. I dropped her off, then my son and I went out and it was doing it a little more. My neighbor who weighs about 200lbs was passenger and i didn't notice it as much. The tires are golf course tires (Terrain tires) and i am wondering if that can cause the issue or if there is anything i can do with the tire pressure? Please help, photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3264.JPG (107.2 KB, 0 views)
Ms506s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 1998 Club Car DS - Tire bounce?

mine are bouncy after sitting a long time
they even out over a few miles
tire pressure should be 18~20 lbs
good lookin cart

Welcome to BGW
Old 06-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I have a lot to do with it but spent most of my money getting it. I will have the kids/wife run it over the hot pavement, we live in South Florida. I'll also check the tire pressure with a gauge and get them even. I took it off road and it was fine, no bounce. I am just not ready to spend $800 on tires/lift kit as of yet.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
crash test dummy

yea ... it adds up fast
Old 06-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms506s View Post
Thanks, I have a lot to do with it but spent most of my money getting it. I will have the kids/wife run it over the hot pavement, we live in South Florida. I'll also check the tire pressure with a gauge and get them even. I took it off road and it was fine, no bounce. I am just not ready to spend $800 on tires/lift kit as of yet.
Be sure to rotate your tires front to back. That also allows you to inspect each wheel/tire and as you do, you can ascertain any issues with the hubs, nuts and brakes.

Very clean cart!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'll jack it up tonight after work and rotate them. If they look clean then should it be bouncing at full speed? I guess next check would be tire pressure to ensure all tires are equal pressure?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Check lug nuts to ensure you have the correct ones.
When you rotate tires and install, tighten lug nuts by hand, when they are snug wiggle the wheel and hand tighten again. The wheel should not wiggle now. Now tighten with wrench.
This will ensure proper seating on hub.
Inflate tires to 5 lbs over rated pressure, this will help seat the bead if is not.
Finally bring your pressure down to where you want it.
I like to run my tires where the outer tread is just touching the ground.
Too much air and your cart will ride hard and wear center quickly, too little and rides squirrelly and will wear center tread quickly.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are a few reasons why golf cart tyres feel "bouncy" or out-of-round. The tyres are bias ply and they are not as smooth as the radial tyres we are used to on our vehicles. They tend to flat-spot when the cart is parked so you get the bouncy feeling for the first 1/2 mile or so. This is more noticeable in colder climates. If the problem is there all the time, especially if it occurs when the tyres have just been fitted then they may not have the bead set correctly. One way to try to overcome this is the reduce the pressures substantially (so that the tyre bulges) then drive slowly on a smooth surface until the wheels have rotated a dozen times then re-inflate. This may help the bead set correctly.

There is more discussion on this topic at http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ke-crap-6.html
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
Ms506s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Alright I'll have to take a look at that tonight. Can a cart be jacked up to change tires with a car jack?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
crash test dummy

yes

see my next post

Last edited by crash test dummy; 06-10-2017 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: up dated drawing

Tags
bouncy, terrain tire, tires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car