lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
driver33b
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Almost free 12v-8v Precedent conversion

Buggiesgonewild

2 years ago l contemplated changing my 05 Precedent to 6x8v but chickened out.....one of the 4 replacements I put in then, dropped a cell this week so I was up for batteries again!

I mentioned that if I did the conversion I would post the project. So here we go.

The tools I used.............
*Small angle grinder
Hammer
Chisel
French chalk
Hacksaw blade
6 or 8" piece of 2x4
Electrical tape
Pliers
6" flat screwdriver
Battery lifting strap
Paper templates

The modification is quite straight forward, but not for the faint hearted. No extraneous damage was incurred...but there is plenty of opportunity to do so. No stickers or decals were damaged or removed.

I put the 2 back batteries on the floor within the tub and the front battery protrudes out of the tub into the void between the tub and body.

Cost is minimal....

What I did.....
1) Put switch to TOW
2) Disconnected neg. terminal first then all the rest and removed the batteries.
3) Taped up the positive lead to prevent accidental discharge of the capacitor.
4) Cut out 3 paper templates the size of the 8v batteries.

The work begins! *Using a 4" angle grinder I cut off the battery location lugs down on the floor to *level. I used a lump of 2x4 to check they were low enough.

Next was the rib at the back of the tub it protrudes into the floor area ...removing the bottom part creates a 3"x4" hole....(collateral damage). There is also a small horizontal lip where the wall meets the floor that has to go, this continues around the corner, I used the templates to determine how far to remove, the angle grinder cannot get all of this out of the corners and a 1/2" woodworking chisel worked a treat on the plastic....the back outside corners also need to be relieved creating another 1"Wx4"H hole in the tub from the floor up, use the template to mark the corner....BE CAREFUL there is a cable down low near the corner....LOOK before you cut. See pictures.

The front battery is a more delicate affair. I cut the passenger side first....I started about an inch from the center cover, 1/4" on top of the *rib....BE VERY CAREFUL with the cutting depth in this area, the wiring loom is behind here....it was located low on mine...see the pictures....the loom also needs to be 'let in' to the moulded form that is part of the cowl backing. I used a new hacksaw blade for this.*

The floor area for the front battery cannot be as low as the 2 rear batteries....there is a tub mounting bolt that should remain....however I did grind the head down a dash....there is a small area where the front part of the front battery sits that I filled with the flat cut out sections of the tub....fiddly but I believed necessary. The back half of the front battery needs some packing to bring it up to the height of that mounting bolt....I used an old mudflap....about 3/16" thick.

Repeat all of the above on the drivers side...being careful with cutting depth...there *are more wires on this side too....down low.

I laid in the templates to make sure there was enough room....without lifting the batteries in and out. I only put the batteries in ONCE.

On the Precedent the 3 battery cables are all the same length....I cut 2 of *these in half and fitted them with new lugs (my only cost). The battery hold down bolts need modifying....the hook on the bottom needs to be 'twisted' 90* so the kink in the rod can fit between the batteries and engage the bracket under the cart. I found that the kink needed to be toward the front of the cart to wiggle up between the batteries. RHS is the opposite to the LHS....think and plan before you bend/twist....good USofA steel....but I would not want to do it twice! I simply retained the kink part in the vice and used a 15" adjustable wrench to turn the 'hook' through 90*. So far I have only retained the batteries with a timber keeper...the Club Car part # 103374801 Battery hold down bracket may be able to adapt...at this stage I have not pursued this avenue.

My project probably took me a full day...I DO procrastinate and hate making mistakes....or doing something twice...especially when it can be done right the first time.

I am very happy with my job. I hope this helps anyone with either doubts or indecision. It CAN be done....easily.

Passengers side

driver33b is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car