lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
easytiger864
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 48v CC digital voltmeter install problems

New member here, I've searched several times and I haven't found any mention of this type of issue. Please forgive me if I've missed it in the searches.

Here's what I've got. 1998 Club Car DS 48v and I added one of these digital volt meters off of Amazon. (see pics) I have the voltmeter wired to the battery ground and to the switched part of the key switch so it turns off with the key. I charged the cart fully and turned it on and it's reading 46.4 volts. So I check the batteries with my handheld meter and I'm getting 49.8 volts. I measured the wires going to the new voltmeter with my handheld meter and I also get 46.4 volts, so I know the new voltmeter is accurate.

My question is why would the always hot side of the key switch read 49.8 volts like the batteries and the switched side read 46.4 volts? Is my key switch bad? I don't want to have to wire the voltmeter straight to the battery pack with a toggle switch if I don't have to.

Thanks for the help.

Pics attached showing the readings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160815_205626.jpg (193.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160815_205956.jpg (191.5 KB, 0 views)
easytiger864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 48v CC digital voltmeter install problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by easytiger864 View Post
New member here, I've searched several times and I haven't found any mention of this type of issue. Please forgive me if I've missed it in the searches.

Here's what I've got. 1998 Club Car DS 48v and I added one of these digital volt meters off of Amazon. (see pics) I have the voltmeter wired to the battery ground and to the switched part of the key switch so it turns off with the key. I charged the cart fully and turned it on and it's reading 46.4 volts. So I check the batteries with my handheld meter and I'm getting 49.8 volts. I measured the wires going to the new voltmeter with my handheld meter and I also get 46.4 volts, so I know the new voltmeter is accurate.

My question is why would the always hot side of the key switch read 49.8 volts like the batteries and the switched side read 46.4 volts? Is my key switch bad? I don't want to have to wire the voltmeter straight to the battery pack with a toggle switch if I don't have to.

Thanks for the help.

Pics attached showing the readings.
When you say you have the negative side of the meter hooked to "battery ground", where exactly do you mean? On the actual battery post? Or on a ground block?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
easytiger864
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
When you say you have the negative side of the meter hooked to "battery ground", where exactly do you mean? On the actual battery post? Or on a ground block?
I've tried both with the same results. I currently have it wired to the ground block under the driver seat.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
I've tried both with the same results. I currently have it wired to the ground block under the driver seat.
I'm not sure of your setup, but the ground block on a DS is typically powered by a voltage reducer (for your lights) on the negative side of the circuit. The black negative wire from your meter needs to be hooked directly to the battery or the "B-" post of the motor controller. Otherwise you're going to be reading reduced negative voltage.

With your multimeter set to 200VDC, Red probe on the green wire on the key switch, and black probe on the MAIN NEGATIVE battery post (Negative post on battery number 6, rear, driver's side battery on DS), what kind of voltage do you see?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
easytiger864
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I'm not sure of your setup, but the ground block on a DS is typically powered by a voltage reducer (for your lights) on the negative side of the circuit. The black negative wire from your meter needs to be hooked directly to the battery or the "B-" post of the motor controller. Otherwise you're going to be reading reduced negative voltage.

With your multimeter set to 200VDC, Red probe on the green wire on the key switch, and black probe on the MAIN NEGATIVE battery post (Negative post on battery number 6, rear, driver's side battery on DS), what kind of voltage do you see?
You are THE MAN, David. I just went and checked the switch and I'm getting 49.9v on my multimeter. I'll extend the wire to the negative battery terminal tomorrow after work.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
You are THE MAN, David. I just went and checked the switch and I'm getting 49.9v on my multimeter. I'll extend the wire to the negative battery terminal tomorrow after work.
Thanks again for the help.

I could see the problem from here.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Well, I know this thread is older but I have a similar question also.

I have a similar DVM wired directly to my pack (-) and pack (+) so my meter stays on all the time. I noticed last night that the meter reads .7 volts lower than my multimeter set to 200VDC when checking pack voltage (DVM reads 51.0V and multimeter reads 51.7V). I've had the meter for approx. 9 or 10 months and I remember checking for accuracy when I first got it and it was within a tenth of a volt then.

What could be wrong and what should I check for to find the discrepancy?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If your meter is wired directly from the meter to the pack, the only thing that can be wrong is the meter. I would replace it.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Measure the voltage directly on the back of the dash meter connections.

If the multi-meter reads different and you sure of the accuracy of your multi-meter, the dash meter is bad.

If the voltages read the same, you have a wiring problem between pack and meter.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Will do. Thanks for the advice!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car