lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Tropicalcats
Not Yet Wild

Default There is so much I don’t know

Questions from a newbie on my Culb Car DS 2002 48 V

1) got a clunking sound in the front end when in turn the wheel at slow speed, not all the time but sometimes.
Could this just be in need of a front end lube ?
What type of grease should I use in the gun ?
2) My key turns to the right and left. When I turn it to the right I can engage forward and reverse and the accessories work. When I turn the key to the left it does not engage forward or reverse but the accessories work. Why ?
3)I have a flip down front windshield, why would I want to flip it down ? To eat more bugs ?
Tropicalcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: There is so much I don’t know

1) you'll have to be a bit more specific about the clunking!
2) your keyswitch is on (right) and off (left) which tells me that your accessories (voltage reducer) is/are wired directly to the batteries.
3) the fold down windshield gives you a good breeze when it's hot out... keep your mouth closed if you don't need the extra protein!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Tropicalcats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
1) you'll have to be a bit more specific about the clunking!
2) your keyswitch is on (right) and off (left) which tells me that your accessories (voltage reducer) is/are wired directly to the batteries.
3) the fold down windshield gives you a good breeze when it's hot out... keep your mouth closed if you don't need the extra protein!

Clunking like metal to metal
Old 08-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Jack up the front and check the bushings in the King pins. They are likely worn giving you the clunking sound.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Tropicalcats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Jack up the front and check the bushings in the King pins. They are likely worn giving you the clunking sound.
I

I will check that out. If it is the bushing what I can find on the internet it’s a pretty inexpensive and easy DYI job. Thanks
Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Someone may have installed an aftermarket key switch so they could run accessories without the cart being "On".
Does your key have teeth like a key for a lock? Most original club car keys are pretty much just a flat blade, no teeth.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree with Lockman1 that it sounds like your accessories are wired directly to the batteries. Let me expand on that (seeing that you want to learn more):

Accessories generally run on 12V. The cart runs on 48V from the full pack of 6x8V batteries (or 4x12V for some carts). To get the 12V required by the accessories you can run a 48V-12V reducer (the best method) or wire the accessories directly to one or two batteries. This is not preferred because then more power is being drawn from those batteries than from the rest of the batteries in the pack. This makes the pack unbalanced and results in reduced life for the pack. So, not fitting a reducer saves money in the short term but eventually costs more because you need to replace an expensive battery pack sooner than you otherwise would have to.

When a reducer is fitted (or the accessories wired directly to the batteries) it can be done via the on-off switch or not. If it is wired via the on-off switch then the accessories (& reducer) are off when the cart is not being used. If it is wired directly (i.e. not via the on-off switch) then the accessories (or their individual switches) have power all the time. If the accessories are wired through the switch then they are off when the key is off, even if the accessory (like the lights) has been accidentally left switched on at its individual switch. This protects the batteries by ensuring that everything is off if the key is off no matter what position the other switches are in.

As to the fold down windscreen, these carts are originally meant for the golf course and this helps to keep you cool in the hot weather. It is also easier to see a small ball out of a hole than through a dirty windscreen. The speeds available in a standard cart means you wouldn't collect too many bugs anyway.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #8
Tropicalcats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
I agree with Lockman1 that it sounds like your accessories are wired directly to the batteries. Let me expand on that (seeing that you want to learn more):

Accessories generally run on 12V. The cart runs on 48V from the full pack of 6x8V batteries (or 4x12V for some carts). To get the 12V required by the accessories you can run a 48V-12V reducer (the best method) or wire the accessories directly to one or two batteries. This is not preferred because then more power is being drawn from those batteries than from the rest of the batteries in the pack. This makes the pack unbalanced and results in reduced life for the pack. So, not fitting a reducer saves money in the short term but eventually costs more because you need to replace an expensive battery pack sooner than you otherwise would have to.

When a reducer is fitted (or the accessories wired directly to the batteries) it can be done via the on-off switch or not. If it is wired via the on-off switch then the accessories (& reducer) are off when the cart is not being used. If it is wired directly (i.e. not via the on-off switch) then the accessories (or their individual switches) have power all the time. If the accessories are wired through the switch then they are off when the key is off, even if the accessory (like the lights) has been accidentally left switched on at its individual switch. This protects the batteries by ensuring that everything is off if the key is off no matter what position the other switches are in.
Understood, I appreciate the lesson. Like I said I wake up every day and realize there is so much I don’t know and I love to learn.
Would it be an easy switch ( yes I like puns) to put a reducer in now?
Old 08-31-2018, 01:35 AM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
Understood, I appreciate the lesson. Like I said I wake up every day and realize there is so much I don’t know and I love to learn.
Would it be an easy switch ( yes I like puns) to put a reducer in now?
Yes, relatively easy if you don't mind doing some wiring.

First of all, how many batteries do you have? Is it 6x8V or 4x12V? I'm going to assume for the rest of this that you have 6x8V.

Test the voltage at one of the accessories (say a light). If it is connected without a reducer then the voltage will be either 8V (1 battery) or 16V (two batteries). If that voltage is 12V then you must have a reducer already (unless your cart is 4x12V in which case it could be one battery).

Assuming you don't have a reducer already and you want to add one then I suggest you speak with David at Revolution Golf Cars or Scotty at Carts Unlimited and they will recommend the best reducer for your cart which will probably just plug into your original wiring loom. You can buy cheap ones from eBay but they are more risky, won't plug in easily and don't come with support from David or Scotty.

Basically the reducer is connected to the whole battery pack (48V) then all accessories are connected to the reducer (think of the reducer as being a 12V battery to which all the accessories are connected). The diagram shows the basic layout. A good reducer will have five wires (+ and - 48V, + and - 12V and a trigger wire). The trigger wire energises the reducer when the key is turned on so when the key is off so is the reducer and all the accessories so they can't drain the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basic reducer wiring.jpg (54.3 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
Tropicalcats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Yes, relatively easy if you don't mind doing some wiring.

First of all, how many batteries do you have? Is it 6x8V or 4x12V? I'm going to assume for the rest of this that you have 6x8V.

Test the voltage at one of the accessories (say a light). If it is connected without a reducer then the voltage will be either 8V (1 battery) or 16V (two batteries). If that voltage is 12V then you must have a reducer already (unless your cart is 4x12V in which case it could be one battery).

Assuming you don't have a reducer already and you want to add one then I suggest you speak with David at Revolution Golf Cars or Scotty at Carts Unlimited and they will recommend the best reducer for your cart which will probably just plug into your original wiring loom. You can buy cheap ones from eBay but they are more risky, won't plug in easily and don't come with support from David or Scotty.

Basically the reducer is connected to the whole battery pack (48V) then all accessories are connected to the reducer (think of the reducer as being a 12V battery to which all the accessories are connected). The diagram shows the basic layout. A good reducer will have five wires (+ and - 48V, + and - 12V and a trigger wire). The trigger wire energises the reducer when the key is turned on so when the key is off so is the reducer and all the accessories so they can't drain the batteries.
It is the 6x8
And I have this turn signal set up on the column. It says Everlasting on it.

Another question. What kind of grease do I use on the front end fittings? An all purpose?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car