lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
zamahuikano
Not Yet Wild

Default Curtis connects to terminal, but not to the 1314 programmer

Hello; I have been reading the forum up and down looking for any clue about my connection problem. As I didn't find anything I am opening this thread (well, I found lots of hints about connection problems and tried many of them, but it seems my problem is somewhat different).

I got a Curtis 1236, used. I don't know much about it's previous settings or use conditions.
I tried connecting to it without motor, throttle...Terminal software (putty & dacio) showed error codes (scode x) signaling the parts that were missing, like the motor. Curtis software 1314, however, refused connection:

"Error 0023 Initialization of communication interface failed. Communication error with controller"

After assembling all the parts requested by the controller, the controller stopped printing error codes and printed run info like RPM, Amps, etc...I can change that info with the "menu mode" switch. Again, I can see all that using putty, dacio, etc.
The controller seems to work, it will accelerate the motor (the encoder settings are probably wrong, but it works anyway).

But the programmer software still refuses to connect.
I have tried 4 differente USB/Serial adapters, some will show the terminal output correctly, others will not. I even tried with an old win98 PC, but the programming software still refuses to connect (terminal work though).

Using an oscilloscope I have checked some bits are sent in the TX wire, but still conection is not established.

I did also read about entering commands in the terminal, using ":". But it does not seem to work; sometimes the output of "RPM x" info will stop for a moment but will resume activity soon.

Some questions for the experts:

- I have a 840 display installed, it shares the bus with the programmer cable. Is that ok with the programming process, or should I remove it? (I tried with & without).
- Can be the Curtis controller set up as non-programmable? Is it possible or controller is programmed (using VCL) to avoid programming?
- I have seen captures of users sending commands in the terminal. My terminals are full of controller output text (RPM - RPM - RPM...). Maybe there is a "program mode" or something similar I have overlooked?

Hope somebody can offer a clue
zamahuikano is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
DonBenigno
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Curtis connects to terminal, but not to the 1314 programmer

See in red below

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamahuikano View Post
Hello; I have been reading the forum up and down looking for any clue about my connection problem. As I didn't find anything I am opening this thread (well, I found lots of hints about connection problems and tried many of them, but it seems my problem is somewhat different).

I got a Curtis 1236, used. I don't know much about it's previous settings or use conditions.
I tried connecting to it without motor, throttle...Terminal software (putty & dacio) showed error codes (scode x) signaling the parts that were missing, like the motor. Curtis software 1314, however, refused connection:

"Error 0023 Initialization of communication interface failed. Communication error with controller"

After assembling all the parts requested by the controller, the controller stopped printing error codes and printed run info like RPM, Amps, etc...I can change that info with the "menu mode" switch. Again, I can see all that using putty, dacio, etc.
The controller seems to work, it will accelerate the motor (the encoder settings are probably wrong, but it works anyway).

But the programmer software still refuses to connect.
I have tried 4 differente USB/Serial adapters, some will show the terminal output correctly, others will not. I even tried with an old win98 PC, but the programming software still refuses to connect (terminal work though).

Using an oscilloscope I have checked some bits are sent in the TX wire, but still conection is not established.

I did also read about entering commands in the terminal, using ":". But it does not seem to work; sometimes the output of "RPM x" info will stop for a moment but will resume activity soon.

Some questions for the experts:

- I have a 840 display installed, it shares the bus with the programmer cable. Is that ok with the programming process, or should I remove it? (I tried with & without).
I know for a fact you can have a 840, I have one running with a 840 and a 1314 programmer as well as a 1311
- Can be the Curtis controller set up as non-programmable? Is it possible or controller is programmed (using VCL) to avoid programming?Yes, in VCL you can actually assign access levels.
- I have seen captures of users sending commands in the terminal. My terminals are full of controller output text (RPM - RPM - RPM...). Maybe there is a "program mode" or something similar I have overlooked?

Hope somebody can offer a clue
DonBenigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . which version of the 1314 software are you using? It comes in 4 versions, each with different levels of access . . .

1314-1101 - User Access (very limited)
1314-2201 - Service Access
1314-3301 - Dealer Access
1314-4401 - OEM (Greatest Access)
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
zamahuikano
Not Yet Wild

thanks for replying, I am using 1314-4401 "downloadable version".
I think I remember v3.12 build 35 patch 6.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
thanks for replying, I am using 1314-4401 "downloadable version".
I think I remember v3.12 build 35 patch 6.
. . . that is same version I use successfully . . . however, it took me awhile to resolve the connection/communication error . . . the blue CH340 USB/serial cable is the easiest way to go, but it took me trying different CH340 cables until I found one that worked . . . actually had to have a verified working cable shipped to me from London by WoodyGB . . . I sent him my non-working cable which he disassembled and found a bad solder joint . . . it may be as simple as buying a few cheap blue CH340 cables off ebay to get one that will work . . they sell for about $3 US . . .
Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
zamahuikano
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Curtis connects to terminal, but not to the 1314 programmer

After many hours and errors I managed to communicate with the controller.
The cheap blue USB/Serial CH340 works perfectly. The protocol used in the 1314 is the Enhanced Serial COM2 and lower the minimum buffers on the properties of the serial port "device manager".
Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
zamahuikano
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Curtis connects to terminal, but not to the 1314 programmer

screenshots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-340.jpg (241.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2-SERIAL ADAPTOR INTERFACE.JPG (73.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3-serial.jpg (415.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4-encoder .jpg (382.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:

After many hours and errors I managed to communicate with the controller.
The cheap blue USB/Serial CH340 works perfectly. The protocol used in the 1314 is the Enhanced Serial COM2 and lower the minimum buffers on the properties of the serial port "device manager".

. . . great . . have fun . . .
Old 01-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #9
ericshufro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
screenshots
Think you can help me? I have tried everything and cannot get a connection. I put a scope on it as well and I see some back and forth, as well as bit errors. I tried lowering the fifo sizes which helped a little when using an FTDI adapter. My CH didnt work in the past and its loaned out at the moment.

Any idea what the signal levels should be?

RS232:
- Idle LOW
- 9600bps ?

I assume RS232 compatible, no inverters or level shifters needed. Straight from PC to cart?

Thanks

-e
ericshufro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:51 AM   #10
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

You probably need the 1309usb cable. Not all the controllers use rs232 only a few of the older ones. Most are enhanced serial and need the 1309usb cable.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts