lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default To charge or not to charge.... wtf is the question?

The cart for the most part runs fine, headlights on and bright, everything seems good. Then it seems like sometimes the S/G is not charging, lights dim, has trouble staying running. Or will die out and not start right away. After waiting a short time anywhere from 15 to 30 mins it will start and run again as if nothing was wrong at all.

Got it back to the garage last night and checked the battery charge and it was discharged. It was at 11.8. I checked the changing at the battery terminals while in maint mode and the rpms at normal running levels and it was at 12.8ish. This was right after I drove it back about a miles with no problems. I had the lights on while doing this testing, too.

I did some searching here and I got some ideas. I'd love to check some stuff like the changing going to the volt reg and from the S/G but right now I'm 25 miles from the cart and not able to go to it. Pitfalls of not trailering in the cart every night for work, which I don't have a trailer for it yet, anyhoo. I pulled the battery and am charging it now. Will do some checking when I get to the cart but looking for any insight before I get to it.
Pipsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Lightninlarry
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: To charge or not to charge.... wtf is the question?

I bought my cart from disney as well and it also had a charging problem... lights were very dim when gas pedal was barley pushed! battery was not charging until you pressed pedal to the floor!! make sure all your linkage settings are correct because all of these carts that come from disney have been tweeked by some broom pusher that wants to go fast and doesnt know what he is doing!
Lightninlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Simply check and note battery voltage. Start the cart in maintenance mode of neutral and rev it up while reading the voltmeter.... is it recharging or not?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

I think my issue is that sometimes it is charging and sometimes it's not. I've checked it a few different times and twice it was charging close to 15v and most recently last night I was getting around 12.8v. That was after my issue with dimming lights and dieing cart one minute, then bright lights and no running problems at all the next minute.

So would a fluctuating charge voltage be a volt reg going bad or possibly the start/gen going bad? I know it could be a bad connection but I'm pretty sure those are tight and clean. Although I'll check the ground off the engine and start/gen tonight before I start for the night.

LOL to the guy who also has a Disney cart. There have been some screwy things I've come across but so far it's been fairly solid condition wise and running wise other than the screwy little things.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

I've found some things about my charging issue but haven't quite nailed it down yet. When the engine is cold it charges at 15v with reading taken at the battery. In an hour after running almost non-stop when it's hot it was charging at 13.8 at the battery. Then after 3 hours of running nearly non-stop the charging was down to 12.3 at the battery.

I guess I'm gonna have to drive it around one afternoon and get it hot after an hour or so and then do some testing. Right now by the time I'm done driving to get it all hot and bothered and not charging it's 3am and I'm too tired to be messing around on the cart.

Until then I've been pulling the battery after every night of driving it and charging it at home. I hopefully will do the testing in the daylight hours and figure it out this week.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Can I ask where do you get to drive your cart around for that long and not get tired of driving? Ive seen a lot cars do the same thing when they get hot.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

I drive it around an old town area that is about a mile or so around. I provide a shuttle service to people. I take people to/from bars, clubs, restaurants, hotels around the old town area and even some residences in the immediate area. So I drive from about 8-10pm until 3am 4-6 nights a week. The cart is pretty much running and moving the whole time I'm out there.

I spent all my savings on the cart purchase, transporting it to me and start up costs which had me literally down to less than $20 getting this going. I was having issues with the cart that was keeping me from making any money and my bills were on last notice getting ready to be cut off all over the place. This past weekend was the first chance I had to run but only got in about half the hours I could have so I'm still just getting caught up on bills and have very little to throw at the cart as far as money. So I've been doing all the work on it and trying to make due with as little as possible. I've been fortunate so far as most of the stuff has been cheap fixes, just pain in the azz to find stuff.

Hopefully within a month or so I'll be able to do the upgrades I want to do.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

What I wanted to do to my cart was have a volt gauge hooked up in the dash to monitor voltage on my cart. An after market one you can buy at an auto parts store for a vehicle. Analog will give you a general idea but a digital will give you exact amount. If worse comes to worse can you carry an extra battery just incase or run them in parallel for more reserve?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
adiexp
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Talking Re: To charge or not to charge.... wtf is the question?

hi
not sure if I can help but looking at what you have said I would try and change the battery for a new one. I now you said in previous posts you had fitted one, but was that before or after you had the trapped cable incident. If the battery was fitted before that then it could be damaged. So not holding a full charge and causing your S/G not to give out the correct charge voltage. A good charged battery should hold a charge above 13 volts or more even after it is stood for a while. If like on mine with a faulty battery due to a wire shorting out and holding a voltage of 12.7 the generator would only give out 13 and not 15v plus that it should do. It did not charge fully so I charged the battery (seemed OK) re fitted then the longer I used it the worse the battery got. I had the battery tested and was told it was faulty so fitted a new one and the problem went away and been ok since.

Good luck
Adie.

PS Which area do you shuttle people about.
adiexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
Pipsta
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
What I wanted to do to my cart was have a volt gauge hooked up in the dash to monitor voltage on my cart. An after market one you can buy at an auto parts store for a vehicle. Analog will give you a general idea but a digital will give you exact amount. If worse comes to worse can you carry an extra battery just incase or run them in parallel for more reserve?
That's a great idea. In fact I've been thinking with the amount of constant run time I demand that an instrument cluster for tach, volt and temp is something I could use.

I've been using a little $10 cigarette lighter/12volt plug voltmeter thing in my truck to monitor the battery when shut off and alt when running cause I was having an issue with that a couple months ago. Just plugs into the lighter plug or a 12 volt outlet and is digital. I have been using it to get a quick read on my cart as well the past week, too. I have the 12 volt plug in outlet with smallish hot/ground leads for me to connect to various spots. Works good in a pinch without messing with the voltmeter.

If I mount a 12 volt jack under the dash I could plug that in and get an instant reading on the generator system and battery level. It won't tell me what's going bad but it gives me a status without wiring a gauge. You can get one for under $10 at harbor freight tools or one for $15 at walmart.

My first upgrade is going to be a stereo and I will be adding a deep cycle battery in the storage to power it. Until I figure out the charging issue I won't tie it into the charging, I'll just mount it in there and pull it out to charge at home.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car