lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default A "Shocking" question...(Ok, just a shock ?)

I hunt in some rough areas and my suspension takes a beating. The other day I noticed what I thought was water on the garage floor. A day later....water is still there. Hmmm? It's a heated garage.

So, upon further investigation my right shock "busted" right off at the bottom....and thus, shock oil went everywhere.

But I really didn't notice a significant ride "difference". Now, it could be because I don't really travel all that fast....but does anyone use their carts with no rear shocks?

I don't have a problem putting on new ones....but I thought I'd ask.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2022, 06:24 AM   #2
golfdwc1019
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: A "Shocking" question...(Ok, just a shock ?)

I was just about to ask the same question. I watch Fentertainment for fun and for build ideas, and I heard him say his preference is no rear shocks. I have replacement set with the 2" mid-rise lift kit from ezgo, but I running without them which I search for longer u-bots to accept the top shock mounts.

I'm sorry I can't answer! I haven't noticed a difference. These shocks (even the new ones) are so easy to manipulate, I just don't see them doing much for the rear ride quality.
golfdwc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:11 AM   #3
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2013 TXT48. It didn't have rear shocks on it until I put the EZ-GO Mid rise lift in it. It came with rear shocks. To be honest, I never noticed a difference in the ride with or without the shocks.
Doubles Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks Gent's. I have to (of course) take the broken one off and I'll remove the other one (drivers side) as well. I did find it odd that the passenger side broke before the drivers side. 90% of the time, or more it's just me on the cart with my "slim and trim" 207 pounds in the drivers seat. You would think the drivers side takes much more punishment than the passenger side.

I'm going to try it without the shocks for a time and see how that goes.

I'd really love to put a 4-link longer travel with gas shocks....but for me, that's a lot of work for (what I see) as little gain for my purposes.

Double shooter, your cart in the avatar looks like my cart does at times. Hunting and fishing will get you into "situations" you try to avoid....but stuff happens!!
Old 12-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Got the shock off...man, what a PITA!!

Bottom was easy....that's where it broke. Impact driver and hold the top nub with vice-grip.

Top one.......Oh boy. Ended up using a dremel to cut through the very top of the shaft...above the hardened steel. Of course, I tried wrenches. All that did was make me tired!!
Old 12-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #6
golfdwc1019
Not Yet Wild

For some reason the top nuts on my shocks were just finger tight. I held them with a wrench, and twisted the shock body by hand until the shocks dropped out. Maybe it's a Florida thing? :) When I bought the cart, it had stock rear springs, and I've never removed the shocks before today, so I'm assuming the nuts were pretty loose from the factory.

I really like the 2" lift, BTW. Even without rear shocks installed. I did notice steering is less confident at speed, so now I'm looking at wheel spacers to give the cart a little more track.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:45 AM   #7
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post

Double shooter, your cart in the avatar looks like my cart does at times. Hunting and fishing will get you into "situations" you try to avoid....but stuff happens!!
Yep. That's why we have winches. I pulled my bacon out of the fire a few times.
Doubles Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:53 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdwc1019 View Post
For some reason the top nuts on my shocks were just finger tight. I held them with a wrench, and twisted the shock body by hand until the shocks dropped out. Maybe it's a Florida thing? :) When I bought the cart, it had stock rear springs, and I've never removed the shocks before today, so I'm assuming the nuts were pretty loose from the factory.

I really like the 2" lift, BTW. Even without rear shocks installed. I did notice steering is less confident at speed, so now I'm looking at wheel spacers to give the cart a little more track.
typically the shocks do give more stability at turns/speeds. Maybe yours have been bad for a while?
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdwc1019 View Post

I have the Jake's lift on the front (back too of course.....but that's just a "block" of steel. Rear provides no additional travel.) The Jakes front gives a wider track than stock. I put wheel spacers on the rear for the "stability" issue.....even though the fastest I drive is mebby 10mph.

Unless your near the shore, you may not get the rust inducing qualities of some good 'ol Pennsylvania rain and mud holes in the fall. I applied some oil to the top threads....they were not just rusted....but corrosion had began.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:15 PM   #10
golfdwc1019
Not Yet Wild

Posting a few corrections, now that I've got my shocks reinstalled:
1) I gave credit to Fentertainment for the "no shocks" comment and I was wrong. The video I was referring to is from "Golf Carts Modified" here-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQyb8U4pVa4. Fentertainment is still my favorite, even though he doesn't like ezgo.

2) I called the rear shock top mount nuts "finger tight". There is no way I could have moved the nut with my fingers. I had a combination wrench on the nut, and I was surprised by how easy it was to turn the shock body off the nut, but the bushings were as flat as a pancake, so I'm sure they were on there good and tight when they were installed. The combination of no rust (this cart has lived 20 years in Central Florida) and the flattened bushings suggests they were a lot looser now than they were when they were installed, but it's not like they were going to fall off.

3) Some of the oversteer I felt at high speed was from the rear leaf spring shackle mounts -- the sleeves that came with replacement bushings were to blame for lateral play. Once I reinstalled the original sleeves, the rear end felt very stable.

4) The 2" lift comes with new rear shocks AND new rear shock mounts. The new shock mount plates are useless -- the new shocks are longer, and the shock mount plates, if installed, raise the lower mount by at least 1" because the plates have to go above the axle. A test fit revealed that they were fully compressed at ride height. I made some extenders for the top mount (story in the 2" mid-rise lift thread that was started years and years ago), and mounted the bottom mount to the stock locations.

After all that, I don't notice any more instability or rear-end steer at speed. I'm sure the new shocks help, but I think in my case the the overall suspension refresh in the rear was important. This cart literally eats leaf spring bushings - they were all split, and they were only 2 years old. Maybe now with fresh springs and shocks they will last a little longer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO