lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Increasing voltage from 36 to 48v on g8?

so I have a g8 thats currently 36v.. I am in the process of converting it to lifepo4 and was wondering if the controller could handle 48v? Ive read the motor can (older GE style motor) its a 93. I have a lift kit and am torn about installing it and adding larger tires due to the power loss it will cause... I assume I need to convert at least the solenoid to 48v ?
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Increasing voltage from 36 to 48v on g8?

Look at the specs for your controller to make sure it can handle the additional voltage. Motor should be ok. Solenoid needs to be 48V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:43 PM   #3
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Look at the specs for your controller to make sure it can handle the additional voltage. Motor should be ok. Solenoid needs to be 48V.
well thats the thing... I cant find much info on g8 controllers.. they seem to be a rare bird.. Which is why Im asking here.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:48 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There should be info on the controller itself that you can use to look up the specs. I have no clue about a g8.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:13 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Increasing voltage from 36 to 48v on g8?

The controller won’t take it if it’s the stock metal box. I’d recommend getting an Alltrax controller. I’ve done a few G8s and those controllers are pretty weak if it’s stock.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

This builds on a bit of a budget so id be more likely to buy one of those curtis 500a clones... I can get one with the correct 0-1k throttle input for under 200 backs still have to decide I guess.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ve heard some success stories with those. Might be worth a try for a budget cart.

There’s also a seller on eBay that has used Alltrax SPM48225 series controllers for a really good price. I’ve bought dozens of them for budget carts- and they’re programmable for any throttle type.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:22 AM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
I’ve heard some success stories with those. Might be worth a try for a budget cart.

There’s also a seller on eBay that has used Alltrax SPM48225 series controllers for a really good price. I’ve bought dozens of them for budget carts- and they’re programmable for any throttle type.
inst that only 245amps though? thought the factory controller was 275amps.. I'm thinking if im going to go through this effort might as well aim for 500amps or is that a mistake? the speed limit where I'll be using this is ony 5mph so im struggling to justify it right now vs 36v and not lifting it but torque is the main concern.. I have a lifted gas G1 as well as a stock G1 at my other camp already were more spirited driving is allowed.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:34 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post

I did end up purchasing the alltrax controller you recommended. thanks. So you would consider this spm48225 an upgrade in performance over the stock unit? I do love the ability to control the parameters.

my ultimate goal here is to just be able to still be able to haul 4 people around the campground if I choose to lift it and add 22" tires.(theres no hills there either).. I have the 6" lift already but ive been on the fence about installing it due to the power loss... I dont care about speed.. campground limit is only 5mph (so 10mph is fine)

I also have the ability to customize the battery pack voltage since im building with individual 3.6v lifepo4 cells... so I can go up to say 42V? instead of 36 if it will give me a benefit here but from what ive been reading the higher amp capability does more for torque than voltage does and I have a stock motor I really dont want to burn up. I know its a GE motor but not sure of its specs.. from research I think it might be 2.4HP? which seems weak but not really loving the idea of dumping another $600 on a better one right now.

Ive seen other threads where people convert a 36 cart to 48v and the motor burns up in short order which is one reason im considering going with something in between like 42v where I can still get away with using 36v stuff like the 400a solenoid I already bought. plus this will be charged off solar so that aspect is covered at least until I see how well that works out since its only going to charge with like 6-7 amps max... I have the ability to manually charge each cell as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha