lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
onebadstang08
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default When should i recharge?

New to carts, just bought a 2010 txt, brand new batteries and i charged it when i first got it a few weeks ago. Full charge was 51.2. I am now down to 47.7 and confused from my research about when to recharge it. We only use it occassionally to cruise around the neighborhood. From what i have been able to see some say to charge it after every use, and some say don't do this as it will shorten the battery life. At what reading should i recharge?
onebadstang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: When should i recharge?

I try to not let my cart go below 49.5 volts before I recharge. DO NOT let it go beyond 48.4 volts (50% SOC) before a recharge. It will shorten your battery life considerably. Here is the rule I follow: If you drive it--charge it. Do not let it sit in a discharged state overnight--even slightly discharged. Who ever said that charging your pack after every use will shorten battery life is full of it!

Hope this helps
Dave
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I've got to agree with Olman on this, if ya' drive it charge it.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

onebadstang08.....once you got a full charge, the absolute best thing for your batteries is to maintain them as fully charged at all times as you can. WHEN you use your cart....as soon as you are done with it for the day, PLUG IT IN. If you don't use your cart during the week, reinitialize the charge cycle before the weekend arrives. That way you are good to go as far as it will take you that first day....
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

While I agree with those who recommend charging after every use let me pose this question. I have a '13 RXV with the 4 12V US Batteries and a stock E-Z-GO charger. Reportedly, the US Batteries charging profile and the charger are not perfectly aligned. I have noted that charging after smaller uses/discharges produces somewhat less than a full charge (by SOC meter). However, sucking them down a bit more -- say 3/4 or a bit below and I get a more complete charge. Recommendations?
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I do not believe it hurts batteries to slightly discharge them without recharging every once and a while. It may even help extend their life.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
While I agree with those who recommend charging after every use let me pose this question. I have a '13 RXV with the 4 12V US Batteries and a stock E-Z-GO charger. Reportedly, the US Batteries charging profile and the charger are not perfectly aligned. I have noted that charging after smaller uses/discharges produces somewhat less than a full charge (by SOC meter). However, sucking them down a bit more -- say 3/4 or a bit below and I get a more complete charge. Recommendations?
Recommendation? Get the correct charger. The correct charger will have a setting for US Batteries. ScottyB sells a DPI charger that has these selectable settings AND has a float maintenance charge feature.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I do not believe it hurts batteries to slightly discharge them without recharging every once and a while. It may even help extend their life.
Where did you get that info? Factual or opinion?
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I wanna post my newest SOC or state of charge chart for recommended use & recharge levels - this looks like a good place to land it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC new.jpg (85.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice chart scottyb - thanks for making that and posting it.
The explanations along the sides are good reminders too.

I think I saw a note on the Trojan Battery site
about letting batteries set for one hour after use
to get a more accurate resting voltage.
As opposed to the 12-24 hour rest after charging.
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO