lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Common Knowledge?

This may be a dumb post for you experianced guys but I know there has got to be a few of you guys like me out there that may benefit from this. I did a big block briggs conversion 21 Hp and love it. I live in central New York on a lake with woods so it gets a lot of use. Well the lake froze over and I couldnt wait to get in on the ice. After a mile or so it ran terrible and I barely got it back to the barn. Well I opened up the seat and everything was soaked to the bone!!! Air cleaner dripping everything. Changed the oil and filter. Then the light when on. Maybe thats why they put skid plates or undercarriage sheet metal on golf carts., When I did my conversion the skid plate was the first thing that came off and never went back on. With about 4 inches of snow on the lake I guess keeping the snow out of the carb and clutch would be a terrific idea.
In conclusion for you northern guys who love the carts in the snow a skid plate is a great add on!!!! I used a piece of pole barn siding I had laying around and self tap screws to make one. Real easy and bends nicely to any shape needed. Seems rugged enough let ya know with more use.
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Common Knowledge?

When I used to race atv's, we always had to run airboxes if the conditions were wet, for that very reason. I had a special lid on the airbox that would allow air in but not mud, dirt, water. It was a nylon cloth called "Outerwears". That will help with the snow flying around.

Wet snow is not an issue, it's the fluffy stuff, when it's really cold the new snow flies around like dust. It gets sucked into the engine area and gets the engine, carb, clutches, belt totally wet. And cvt's don't like that either. So your skid plates will help, but if the snow is powdery.....it's likely gonna find a way in there if you are driving fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outerwears air box cover.jpg (10.2 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You hit the nail on the head very fluffy snow. I used to race ATV's also!!! We did them on the local dirt track using some of the curves and parts of straight aways and down to the infield with jumps and quick turns!!! I raced a few times on a motocross track with my old Suzuki 250 quad racer. Loved that machine!! Miss those days!!! Thanks for the help!!!
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I miss atv racing too! I never ran mx, we ran cross country and hare scrambles. I remember one year I ran an event that if i won I would qualify for an invitation and sponsorship to race in the the GNCC series. That day I got second place, which didn't qualify, but two out of the three laps were the fastest in my class ever recorded. I didn't win because I wrecked 3 times on the first lap because I never rode that course. LOL The rep for Moose Racing invited me to race again in New York somewhere....never followed through. Missed opportunity? Maybe. Nonetheless, it was a fun 3 years of weekend racing. We were pretty reckless and ran wide open. It was fun. No way I ever want to do that again though....LOL!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!