lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
hbuck1215
Not Yet Wild

Default when to recharge

Hi at what voltage should I charge a 48 volt club car it has a indicator light on the dash but I dont know how that is suppose to work thanks for ant info
hbuck1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: when to recharge

Flooded batteries should be recharged whenever the opportunity presents itself. They should be fully cycled at least weekly to be brought up to a good equalization. These batteries do not develop a "memory" and by opportunity charging you will be able to extend your range a little more.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In addition to what tech support posted, The manufacture recommends that the battery be drawn down to no more than 50% capacity at any time before recharging. On the other hand I think recharging at say 90% repeatedly may tally up too many hours on the charger. These batteries are good for only so many cycles... Print out the chart linked in my signature. It will give exact voltages for percentages.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Good point on the charger too Scotty. It should shut off, but why bother with the wear and tear when it isn't always needed.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I read somewhere that, and correct me if I'm wrong that the golf cart battery has a life expectancy of 1000 cycles at 50% draw down .... I think that is correct? And I'm gonna throw it out there because it came from a very reputable source, Trojan Battery Co.
You can check them out on the web for TONS of helpful battery care and use info!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbuck1215 View Post
Hi at what voltage should I charge a 48 volt club car it has a indicator light on the dash but I dont know how that is suppose to work thanks for ant info
When the light comes on in the dash it means the OBC is searching for a charge.After a charge you unplug the cord and the light comes on means the OBC is doing a systems check,it usually goes out after about 15 seconds or so.If it comes on and stays on or blinking on and off after you have been riding a lot without charging means you are down to about 25% juice left in batteries.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I charge after every use and if not used I charge every week. Trojan 8 volt batterys now over 7 years old and hauling heavy loads.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
sunking
Gone Wild

You charge after any use, or if the cart has sit idle more than a week.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

SUNKING-- I DO BOTH, "charge after every use" and "if not used charge every week". Regular battery case cleaning and fluid check and maintaining charge are the main factors in battery life. Good battery care will pay off in the long run.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
SUNKING-- I DO BOTH, "charge after every use" and "if not used charge every week". Regular battery case cleaning and fluid check and maintaining charge are the main factors in battery life. Good battery care will pay off in the long run.
I agree. I went so far to trash the factory charger, and got a quality 3-stage charger so the cart batteries are always on charge, FLOAT CHARGE that is after Bulk and Absorption charge of course.

While I agree it is possible to get 5, 6 or even 7 years out of a battery stack, it is rare and very few people know how to do it. It takes due diligence, record keeping, and religious like commitment to pull it off.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car