lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
RiverPatrol
Not Yet Wild

Default New/refurbished cart slow on hills

I have a 2001 cart that I got from EZ-GO as a refurbished golf car. I don't have the model #, only the VIN: 1371036. From searching other posts, I am pretty sure the cart is a TXT series cart. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong, because I would hate to buy the wrong parts.

When I first got it, right off the delivery truck (plastic was still on the seats), it was very fast on flat stretches, but would slow to a crawl on any incline. Charged the batteries, no improvement. It is lifted and has larger wheels and tires (don't know the size right now) and rear fold-down seat.

So, some $@^*&%%^$$ stole my batteries, cutting all of the cables in the process. This puts me in a position of needing to spend some $$$ on the cart. I have already ordered 4 gauge cables and will be getting trojan T-105 batteries.

I figure now is a perfect time to upgrade the motor and whatever else might be needed to get it to perform the way I want it to. I want some speed but since it is lifted I don't want to over do it. I want it to pull hills easily - there are many in the area, some pretty steep. I may want to tow things like PWC trailers, and maybe launch PWCs or pull other trailers around.

I have spent hours surfing the Net and the selection of motors is overwhelming. Then do I need a controller and FnR switch? Dunno. I know, call and talk to someone. I thought I would start here.

Here is a link to a picture: http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...O/DSCF0707.jpg

Please help me spend some $$$!!!
RiverPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
RiverPatrol
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New/refurbished cart slow on hills

Okay, so no one here had any helpful suggestions to offer so I made some phone calls.

I am being told that I can increase my torque by replacing the controller, not the motor, that by lifting the cart the torque was decreased and the speed was increased. The shopping list consists of a new solenoid, a heavy duty F&R switch, a 500 amp Alltrax controller and 4 gauge cable kit. No motor needed.

Sounds good to me I guess. I just am having a hard time understanding how a controller is going to take me from crawling on an incline to being capable of towing a trailer. I'll admit that I am totally ignorant of all things electrical. I don't know the difference between amp and volts, I don't know how to use an ohm meter, but I do know that these things will shock the &&*%$ out of me if I'm not careful.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Series carts are typically slow and steady Think of the controller like a faucet valve.... a bigger controller lets the motor draw more amps. What you really need to consider is an increase in voltage and a bigger controller..... You will get more torque and speed then....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
RiverPatrol
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Series carts are typically slow and steady Think of the controller like a faucet valve.... a bigger controller lets the motor draw more amps. What you really need to consider is an increase in voltage and a bigger controller..... You will get more torque and speed then....
Okay, that makes sense. So by replacing the controller with a 500 amp one I guess I am increasing the amps. What needs to be done to increase the voltage, or do I have that covered with the suggested parts?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverPatrol View Post
What needs to be done to increase the voltage, or do I have that covered with the suggested parts?
Use 6x8v batteries and get 30% more speed and torque. You will also need a new controller, solenoid and a way to charge 48v.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverPatrol View Post
Okay, so no one here had any helpful suggestions to offer so I made some phone calls.
WOW - Only 11 hours to make the suggestions in the midnight hour?

What you want to DO with the cart would be the better suggestion, first. We sell alot of refurb units and all stock with 4 gauge cables makes most people happy. A 400 amp controller is ample as well. What "Budget" do we have to work with? $400.00 or $4,000.00?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

Searching the threads is also a good way of finding info.

Mike will help you out, but I would call him rather than go to his shop...if you see the stuff he has there you can just get depressed and want a whole new cart.....but anyway.......WELCOME to BGW

Kev
K9Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
RiverPatrol
Not Yet Wild

Dougmcp: Well, I really didn't want to convert to 48v. Thanks anyway.

mikesmotortoys: "I want some speed but since it is lifted I don't want to over do it. I want it to pull hills easily - there are many in the area, some pretty steep. I may want to tow things like PWC trailers, and maybe launch PWCs or pull other trailers around."

K9Kev: I did search first. Lots of conflicting information came back for lots of different model carts. I was kind of hoping for a tailored answer.

I'm not new to carts, I had one or another for the last, uhhh, many years. Just never had one worth upgrading until now.

For now I think I go with the suggestion of the controller, solenoid, FnR switch and 4 gauge cables. Try that and if it's not enough throw in a motor.

Thanks folks!

BTW - can anyone tell what kind of lift kit I have? It was on the cart when I got it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO